Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting mobile credit card payments

Options
  • 08-01-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I don't know if this is the right place to post. I am self employed in a very small business.

My problem is with Elavon Mobile Merchant app. and Android 4 OS on a new Scroll Excel2 tablet.

Elavon advertised a way to accept credit/debit card payments using a special pinpad and a smartphone or tablet with Android 2 or higher. (Elavon's mobile rates are much cheaper for small volumes of sales than AIBMS).
    So I joined up with Elavon, bought a tablet with Android 4 installed, got the app. and got the pinpad. Then I cancelled my old AIBMS account.

Next I tried numerous times to install the app but each time it is disabled due to "card scheme security" issue.
    Evalon now tell me that I should have made sure the Android software "would not violate the MobileMerchant software". I did ask the retailer for "a tablet with Android 2 or higher", as instructed by Elavon, and that's what I got.

The manufacturers of the tablet, StorageSolutions.com now tell me that all their products are "rooted". (Why?) They are telling me to ask Evalon for the name of a compatible tablet. Elavon are refusing to name a device, saying they can't tell if any device has been rooted. I don't understand this. I am getting no help from either of them. But I need a workable inexpensive way of accepting credit cards.
    Has anyone out there any experience with Elavon's mobile merchant service?
    Or does anyone know how to fix this tablet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'll move this to somewhere you might mind some other business folks who might have experienced similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JaneF

Oh thanks. I did copy it into another post in Banking and Insurance but maybe you found somewhere better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

This thread has a lot of info on alternative mobile solutions. It might be worth a look.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056785456

Thanks DubTony

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Elavon is service provider, you signed up to them so you could use their service on a mobile device. In fairness they should almost be sending you the tablet that works with their service. Short of that they should have at least a list of compatible devices.

Sounds to me you are getting the run around, might be time to escalate it up the food chain at Elavon They supply the software and the service, their problem

• Advertisement

TonyStark wrote: »
    Elavon is service provider, you signed up to them so you could use their service on a mobile device. In fairness they should almost be sending you the tablet that works with their service. Short of that they should have at least a list of compatible devices.

Sounds to me you are getting the run around, might be time to escalate it up the food chain at Elavon They supply the software and the service, their problem

Thank you. Exactly my sentiments. But they have an army of "customer service" people whose mission seems to be to blame someone else and keep you away from the higher echelons. How do you get to talk to someone who can help?

It was a Scroll Excel 11, not 2, as I found out when I returned it to supplier yesterday. Got my money back but still no tablet, so I can't use the pinpad. Tried Samsung Galaxy in shop and that didn't work either.

Finally, after a week of hassle, I tried out the Asus Nexus 7" tablet in the shop. After losing my temper I got to talk to the Customer Service Supervisor, who talked me through the installation in the shop, I paired up the pinpad and actually used my credit card to transfer 0.01 Euro to my Elavon account. So I went ahead and bought the Nexus. Sadly it was double the price of the original Scroll device.
    So, for anyone wanting to go with processing credit or debit cards with a mobile device, the good news is that Elavon currently has the cheapest rates and it does work. The bad news is that you have to be very careful about the mobile device you get. The Android OS must not be rooted for security reasons. The only way you can be sure is by trying to install the software in the shop so you need a very helpful sales assistant!
    Now, who wants to buy some pottery!!!?

Advertisement