Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Business and I.T

• 08-01-2013 9:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Hi, im thinking of doing this course when i start college (2014).
    I an just looking for opinions about the course from other people that have done or are doing to let me know what its like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Im currently in Business IT, Year 1. Im enjoying the course (although not so much this week with exams next week ;) )

There is a very high initial dropout rate. A 4th year in the course spoke to us a couple of months ago. She said something along the lines of 80 people started 1st year, 45 started 2nd year, 35 3rd year and 30 in 4th year. For our year i think 82 started but there are still roughly 50 still turning up for the course and about 30-35 at lectures. Although the lecture attendances are added by tne International Business students.

The course in general i am finding easy enough although I am putting in a lot of work. Web Design and Business information systems are 100% Continues Assessment, so there is no end of semester exams. For the 2 subjects, all you pretty much have to do is turn up to the weekly labs.

For the other subjects in Semester 1

Business Administration
    Just read and memorize the powerpoint slides and you will be fine. The are 2 20% CAs during the term and 1 60% end of semester exam. The lecturer is very helpful.

Accounting
    Just get the book and work from that. Ive learned more from the book than the lectures. There is one 30% CA and and end of Semester exam. The lecturer is fine once you get to know him. Stern but fair is my appraisal.

Economics
    Im not a fan of the lecturer, we will just leave it there. There are 2 15% CAs and a 70% end of semester exam.

Business Maths and Stats
    I feared this subject the most but the lecturer is great and starts all the subjects are covered from the begining. As long as you turn up for class you will be fine.

In general they let a lot of riff raff in but they tend to drop away by xmas. The first set of semester exams should knock any dossers out and you will be left with the serious people.

Ive uploaded the semester handbook to have read over
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffocmsjdk2cino0/Bus%20IT%20Sem1.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Trancechick

I'm also in BSIT first year and agree with everything that Richard has said.

I love the course, it's tough going at first and you feel like you are getting slammed with CA's, especially in Maths&Stats but you soon get into a rhythm with them. The course is well structured and the lecturers are approachable and helpful as are the other student and we all help each other along.

Best advice I can give you is to come to an open day or visit the campus and get a feel for the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

I'm also in BSIT first year and agree with everything that Richard has said.

I love the course, it's tough going at first and you feel like you are getting slammed with CA's, especially in Maths&Stats but you soon get into a rhythm with them. The course is well structured and the lecturers are approachable and helpful as are the other student and we all help each other along.

Best advice I can give you is to come to an open day or visit the campus and get a feel for the place.

What job are you planning to get after the degree I'm curious about what you can achieve with it ? :)

Positions as an IT consultant or a web developer are just two of the career options that IT offers. Employers increasingly seek IT-trained people who possess a combination of business, problem-solving and interpersonal skills, who can communicate effectively and develop relationships with customers, suppliers, business partners and within teams. IT skills are readily transferable from one employer to another and IT is ever-evolving with jobs being developed to meet needs created in a wide range of new areas.

This Independent article will give you an idea of what's on offer out there at the minute.

http://www.independent.ie/business/where-will-the-best-paying-jobs-be-in-ireland-2015-2989222.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9 am292

Can I ask what the timetable is like in 1st year? Thanks

• Advertisement

We don't have semester 2 timetables yet, we are on an inter-semester break at the moment. Semester 1 was as follows for my group ( the timetables differ slightly depending on tutorial groups): Monday 9am - 3pm, no lectures from 12-2. Tuesday 9 am to 6pm, no lectures from 11-12 and 1-5. Wednesday 9am to 3pm, lecture breaks from 11-12 and 1-2. Thursday 9am to 6pm, lecture break 12-1. Friday 2pm to 5pm. There are clinics in every subject scheduled during lecture breaks, you attend these for extra help if you are struggling with something.

The breaks in lecture time can be put to good use if you use it as study time. Doing this will free up down time at home in the evening and you might as well make use of the facilities in college while you are there, if you are stuck on something you'll be able to get help from other students. I rarely had to work from home in the evenings and weekends!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 am292

We don't have semester 2 timetables yet, we are on an inter-semester break at the moment. Semester 1 was as follows for my group ( the timetables differ slightly depending on tutorial groups): Monday 9am - 3pm, no lectures from 12-2. Tuesday 9 am to 6pm, no lectures from 11-12 and 1-5. Wednesday 9am to 3pm, lecture breaks from 11-12 and 1-2. Thursday 9am to 6pm, lecture break 12-1. Friday 2pm to 5pm. There are clinics in every subject scheduled during lecture breaks, you attend these for extra help if you are struggling with something.

The breaks in lecture time can be put to good use if you use it as study time. Doing this will free up down time at home in the evening and you might as well make use of the facilities in college while you are there, if you are stuck on something you'll be able to get help from other students. I rarely had to work from home in the evenings and weekends!!

Thank you for the detailed update, It looks really manageable :)

Advertisement