Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody ever get a trial with a club?

• 08-01-2013 9:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

I was thinking, so many of the threads here are all about clubs or international football, more about watching and supporting and talking about football - and absolutely nothing wrong with that - but I wanted to ask err'body here did you ever get a trial with a club or play for a club? Doesn't matter if it was English or Irish, small time or big time. I'd like to hear about it. Do you play currently? Even if it's Sunday League? (I don't mean to sound condescending to anybody when I say even I am just trying to gauge active playing participation of the sport)

Mate of mine got trials with Nottingham Forest and I think Leeds over in the UK as a Goalie but ultimately didn't make the grade because he was an inch or two short which I always thought was bull****, he was brilliant. I guess the clubs can afford to be picky.

I myself don't these days, loved playing football as a kid but don't have the time or the level of fitness required...or skill for that matter. These days, Pro Evo 6 is as good as it gets for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

3 lads I know are pro footballers. 1 of them was very close to making it in the Prem, moved to Fulham with the Konchesky deal from Liverpool along with the Swedish guy.

I got a trial for the DDSL team that was about it. I always believed I'd become a footballer, I just seen it as a given, even when I wasn't playing that good I thought that 'ah sure my footballing brain wil be appreciated by scouts'(whatever the hell that was supposed to mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

EdenHazard wrote: »
    3 lads I know are pro footballers. 1 of them was very close to making it in the Prem, moved to Fulham with the Konchesky deal from Liverpool along with the Swedish guy.

You're friends with Lauri Dalla Valle? :confused:

Nah other lesser known guy :)

I currently play for the biggest club in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Paully D wrote: »
    You're friends with Lauri Dalla Valle? :confused:

Hes just being humble. Sure isn't he off with Chelsea now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Then he wasn't in the Koncheskey deal...
    Oh and in response to OP,I know 1.
    Anthony Stokes off Celtic

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

I was called for trials for the county team when I was u-14. I was a centre back. Picked the ball up in midfield, dropped my shoulder like Beardsley past one then smashed it into the top corner from 25 yards. Keeper at full stretch and everything. Ran away shouting "I must be in the team!"...

.... didn't get in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Kacaniklic? There was only 3 involved, Konchesky, Kacaniklic and Dalla Valle according to numerous sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Guy I know went through the youth system of Plymouth Argyle... he's currently plying his trade in league 2. Ireland U19 player too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Paully D wrote: »
    Kacaniklic? There was only 3 involved, Konchesky, Kacaniklic and Dalla Valle according to numerous sources.

What the hell were we thinking doing that deal! Cocaine is one helluva drug...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

No, Jack was on trial, in Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Played with Joey OBriens and his older brothers when we grew up together even though he was a good bit younger than us he still ran rings around most of the people in the area. A Talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I know quite a few lads that have been over for trials with lots of clubs the majority of them are back home playing lsl, mdl or not playing at all. A couple still over in the lower divisions and some back here playing league of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mate of mine had trials at ipswich and wolves.

Went to Norwich then Hibbs and is now at Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I trialed and played for Zamalek when living in Cairo as a youngster (u-8 - u13), then my family moved back home and I had to quit. I probably never would have made it anywhere in the sport anyway. These days it's just a bit of 5-a-side for me.

I played against Mido a few times in training matches (not a claim to fame!) and he went on to the first team before coming to Europe. At least I'm in better physical condition than him these days.

Man thats quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Closest I ever got was being on our school's 5th and 6th class 5-a-side B team in a Ribena schools tournament. Scored our only goal, was a screamer.:cool:

Good friend of mine play for Shamrock Rovers u19s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I know of a lad who honestly was as good a keeper at 16 than most people double his age. I only saw him play a few times but every time he was unreal. Was having scouts over regularly...one of the Milan teams, Inter if I remember correctly had brought him over there to train and stuff and various big clubs in England were heavily interested too. He almost seemed destined to be living the life before he even started thinking about his Leaving Cert. All of a sudden he starts to get these chest pains and goes to the doctor. Turns out he had some weird growth thing in front of his heart that was really dangerous if it ruptured. Doctor told him he had to give up the football because if he got a blow on the chest he could well end up dead....the lad was said to have cried for about two weeks straight....was such a professional towards his game....he played one more game, for his local team in the National Cup semi final even though everyone in the club told him that he couldn't risk it. I remember one of my friends who was on the same team told me that at a training session they were all pleading with him to not play and all of a sudden he started roaring and basically said that if he died f*ck it because he said he couldn't imagine his life without the game. I know this sounds all really dramatic but it's true every word. Anyway in the game the lad was having a serious game, making a last minute save to bring it to extra time. The opposition, Crumlin if I'm not mistaken got a fluke goal and they saw it out...and apparently the keeper in question hasn't played the game since and is now trying his hand with golf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

I had trials with Barcelona, they picked some small lad from Argentina Messi i think was his name, meant to be doing ok with them at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

TheComeUp wrote: »
    I know of a lad who honestly was as good a keeper at 16 than most people double his age. I only saw him play a few times but every time he was unreal. Was having scouts over regularly...one of the Milan teams, Inter if I remember correctly had brought him over there to train and stuff and various big clubs in England were heavily interested too. He almost seemed destined to be living the life before he even started thinking about his Leaving Cert. All of a sudden he starts to get these chest pains and goes to the doctor. Turns out he had some weird growth thing in front of his heart that was really dangerous if it ruptured. Doctor told him he had to give up the football because if he got a blow on the chest he could well end up dead....the lad was said to have cried for about two weeks straight....was such a professional towards his game....he played one more game, for his local team in the National Cup semi final even though everyone in the club told him that he couldn't risk it. I remember one of my friends who was on the same team told me that at a training session they were all pleading with him to not play and all of a sudden he started roaring and basically said that if he died f*ck it because he said he couldn't imagine his life without the game. I know this sounds all really dramatic but it's true every word. Anyway in the game the lad was having a serious game, making a last minute save to bring it to extra time. The opposition, Crumlin if I'm not mistaken got a fluke goal and they saw it out...and apparently the keeper in question hasn't played the game since and is now trying his hand with golf.

I can confirm. Though he never went over to Milan, that is not true. He was capped for Ireland against Belgium, for a home-based squad, over in Belgium. I can't remember which team, but I believe either Villa or Birmingham, offered him a trial after his final National Cup game, but of course he was not able to take it. He is now involved with cork squads as a goalkeeper coach and is training to be a physio in college.

Breaks my heart it does. I would give anything for him to have had the chance to make it. Such a model player on and off the pitch. A true role model and a hero of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was sub-goalkeeper for an FAI National Under 17s Cup winning team. Broke my collar bone at Christmas and only played for a few minutes at the end of the Round of 16 game after that. A lot of that squad went on to play for Limerick 37/FC for a while, and the 'keeper who played out the season played for Athlone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

lala88 wrote: »
    I had trials with Barcelona, they picked some small lad from Argentina Messi i think was his name, meant to be doing ok with them at the moment

come on now ya cant expect us to believe that do you :rolleyes:

now if ya said ya know know one of the lads involved in konchesky move from fulham we might have believed you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

BKC wrote: »
    I can confirm. Though he never went over to Milan, that is not true. He was capped for Ireland against Belgium, for a home-based squad, over in Belgium. I can't remember which team, but I believe either Villa or Birmingham, offered him a trial after his final National Cup game, but of course he was not able to take it. He is now involved with cork squads as a goalkeeper coach and is training to be a physio in college.

Breaks my heart it does. I would give anything for him to have had the chance to make it. Such a model player on and off the pitch. A true role model and a hero of mine.

Ah cheers for clearing that up. Great to see he still has some part to play in the game now too. Wish him nothing but the best in both professions. And yeah didn't know the lad well tbh but my friend never stopped singing his praise on and off the pitch....heartbreaking story for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Youths with Forest back around 97 when it was launched there. Paul Hart was the main man at the time. Dave Bassett was Senior Boss. Hard fella to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I had a trial in liverpool many years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I think he was released by Fulham in the summer.
    He had serious attitude problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Shels had open trials in 07 after we let all our players go. My mate asked me if we should go out and chance our arms. We never did but technically i was asked to go on trial with Shelbourne. Ive been dining out on it for a few years :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I had a trial in liverpool many years back.

You had a trial IN or FOR Liverpool?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

redzerdrog wrote: »
    come on now ya cant expect us to believe that do you :rolleyes:

now if ya said ya know know one of the lads involved in konchesky move from fulham we might have believed you;)

I was thats were i went after ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Never came close myself...

Have a mate who's son plays for the Blackburn Rovers second team (or did before he was loaned out).

The closest I came was a kickabout as a teenager with Mark Kennedy and Glen Crowe...I'm older than the two of them so they weren't known at the time.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i know shane redmond quite well currently with mansfield town.. and know glen whelan well..

played club soccer in peamount... was decent but a serious lazy ****er too interested in women and booze lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Fella I know got trials at Hibs a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

oldyouth wrote: »

You had a trial IN or FOR Liverpool?
    In liverpool, judge gave me 6 years but sure I was out after 3...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My dad went for Arsenal trials same time as Dave O'Leary.When he got the call it went to his head, He started smoking around that time and figured he was too good to have to bother training, sure he'd be playing in Div 1 soon. He ended up a Plumber with regrets.....

Mate of mine played for Kevins for his whole career, got Junior international caps etc. David Moyes was looking to bring him to Preston at one stage, then he left and went to take over at Everton (Moyes :-) ) and nothing came of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Played with a lad in primary school who signed with Stoke as a schoolboy.Has played with Drogheda and Rovers since coming back here.Not sure where he's at now.Was a dirty enough player back then,but couldn't take being tackled himself.But he's played against Real Madrid so he wins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

My cousin signed for Chelsea but is on loan with some Spanish team. Second division i think. Can't remember the name of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Lad I know from school who was a very decent player got trials with a Premiership Club. He came back bragging that he'd robbed a few tracksuit tops when he was over there. Never got a called back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Played for Kevin's back in my day and was training with the West Brom academy coaches through the link between the clubs.

Lad on the team now playing for Shamrock Rovers and doing well by all accounts.

My next door neighbour was the year ahead of us age-wise and spent the years from 17-19 with Peterboroughs (im pretty sure) academy but left to come home and is now playing for Ballymun.

again another mate of mine was playing for Lourdes underage over here, went to Stoke at 17 when van de goey was there, even made a first team appearance or two. Went on to move clubs to league one when Pulis took over, didn't like him at all (Pulis that is). Last I heard he was at Drogheda I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Played with Robbie Brady, Jeff Hendrick and the rest of the ridiculous Kevins team when I was younger. Moved on from there and Have many runners up medals including All Ireland and DDSL Premier medals, could never win one :pac:

Played a couple of years LOI then at 20s and reserve level too.

Know loads of lads who have gone over and comeback or are still over there giving it a go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yeah, Samba Soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Robert murray ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Played against a number of lads who had trials. Saved a penalty from one of them who has gone onto be a first team starter for UCD. Played with a few lads who would have played for Ireland underage as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Never myself but know two lads who got trials with Aston villa and QPR. Both were successful in getting into the youth setups but neither made the cut and both are back in Ireland playing for their local teams now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

listermint wrote: »
    Mate of mine had trials at ipswich and wolves.

Went to Norwich then Hibbs and is now at Dundalk.

Kurtis Byrne I'm guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Youths with Forest back around 97 when it was launched there. Paul Hart was the main man at the time. Dave Bassett was Senior Boss. Hard fella to figure out.
    Its often forgotten but Paul Hart brought through a serious amount of underage talent brought through at Forest and Leeds - Andy Reid, Jermaine Jenas, Michael Dawson, Harry Kewell, Ian Harte, Jonathan Woodgate, Paul Robinson, etc.

Always a better coach than manager though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Went to school with and played occasionally with 2 full Irish internationals in Cabinteely of all places.

One lad who was in my year in secondary school until he signed for Newcastle after transition year was unreal. Played left wing at Cabo but was at Joeys when I knew him and only ever played with him in school or 5-a-side. Literally the quickest player I've seen in person. Acceleration was always 80% of my own game and he'd leave me for dead every time. Got a few appearances with Newcastle after working his way up when they were a bit light for wingers and Staunton called him up. Made his debut against Holland in 4-0 defeat (IIRC) at home which I believe was also Huntelaar's debut? As an Ajax fan I was very jealous as Huntelaar has always been a favourite. Since then he got a few more caps from bench and then went to Hibs and then back to the lower leagues in England. Haven't been in touch in a few years but he's a very good lad and I look up how he's doing every now and again.

The other is currently an international, Andy Keogh, and while I didn't know him as well I do remember playing with/against him occasionally. He was the year below me in primary school (I think Darren Randolph who is Ireland's 3rd goalie right now was also in the same class or else he was younger still) so wasn't in the same age group but I remember him stepping into our team once or twice (I'm guessing u-14s or so when we'd be short a player and he'd have just played an u-13s). Was always very quiet guy as I recall but obviously a class above on the pitch. Might be wrong but I'm sure he probably went on to Joeys too. Have a feeling he played for my uncle's team there.

In any case I got nowhere! Was never near good enough as a player but enjoyed it a lot. Played every outfield position in my teens and had great fun. More interested in the coaching/statistics aspect of the game nowadays.

Great thread, good to read these stories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Im slow, overweight, can't control the ball, can't shoot, can't dribble. Liverpool offered my local B team 35 million for me but unfortunatly I failed the medical. No other team ever showed any interest. I never even started for the local B team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Played Gaelic Football with a current Reading youth up until last year. Captained Ireland numerous times. Very nice chap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

8-10 wrote: »
    Went to school with and played occasionally with 2 full Irish internationals in Cabinteely of all places.

The other is currently an international, Andy Keogh, and while I didn't know him as well I do remember playing with/against him occasionally. He was the year below me in primary school (I think Darren Randolph who is Ireland's 3rd goalie right now was also in the same class or else he was younger still) so wasn't in the same age group but I remember him stepping into our team once or twice (I'm guessing u-14s or so when we'd be short a player and he'd have just played an u-13s). Was always very quiet guy as I recall but obviously a class above on the pitch. Might be wrong but I'm sure he probably went on to Joeys too. Have a feeling he played for my uncle's team there.

In any case I got nowhere! Was never near good enough as a player but enjoyed it a lot. Played every outfield position in my teens and had great fun. More interested in the coaching/statistics aspect of the game nowadays.

Great thread, good to read these stories.

He was a good friend of my cousin. I never met him myself. Though I played for the club. He did play for Joeys also.

I know his brother lives near me(AOB)

• Advertisement
Advertisement