Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody ever get a trial with a club?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

8-10 wrote: »
    Went to school with and played occasionally with 2 full Irish internationals in Cabinteely of all places.

One lad who was in my year in secondary school until he signed for Newcastle after transition year was unreal. Played left wing at Cabo but was at Joeys when I knew him and only ever played with him in school or 5-a-side. Literally the quickest player I've seen in person. Acceleration was always 80% of my own game and he'd leave me for dead every time. Got a few appearances with Newcastle after working his way up when they were a bit light for wingers and Staunton called him up. Made his debut against Holland in 4-0 defeat (IIRC) at home which I believe was also Huntelaar's debut? As an Ajax fan I was very jealous as Huntelaar has always been a favourite. Since then he got a few more caps from bench and then went to Hibs and then back to the lower leagues in England. Haven't been in touch in a few years but he's a very good lad and I look up how he's doing every now and again.

The other is currently an international, Andy Keogh, and while I didn't know him as well I do remember playing with/against him occasionally. He was the year below me in primary school (I think Darren Randolph who is Ireland's 3rd goalie right now was also in the same class or else he was younger still) so wasn't in the same age group but I remember him stepping into our team once or twice (I'm guessing u-14s or so when we'd be short a player and he'd have just played an u-13s). Was always very quiet guy as I recall but obviously a class above on the pitch. Might be wrong but I'm sure he probably went on to Joeys too. Have a feeling he played for my uncle's team there.

In any case I got nowhere! Was never near good enough as a player but enjoyed it a lot. Played every outfield position in my teens and had great fun. More interested in the coaching/statistics aspect of the game nowadays.

Great thread, good to read these stories.
    Alan o brian was in my class in primary school. Think he's with swindon now. I remember the sports days in primaryn school were a joke with him there. He was just too fast in the races for the rest of us!

Andy keogh was in my class in secondry school then. He was always a nice chap.

My cousin had trials for northampton in the mid 90's but didn't make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I had a trial for Ireland at u15 level; but they played me at center half for it when I was a short left back/winger?!? At least that's my excuse for not making it :p

Went on to play for Kildare County u21's but didn't stick it long enough to make it to full LOI level; pretty much the whole u21's team became the 1st team the season after I left, they folded shortly after. Played in the Vancouver Metro League when I was in Canada too, great craic it was.

I'm just playing 7-a-side these days but itching to get back playing proper. I just moved to town so if any Saturday/Sunday league teams on the southside of the city are in need of a striker, give me a bell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mackeire wrote: »
    Alan o brian was in my class in primary school. Think he's with swindon now. I remember the sports days in primaryn school were a joke with him there. He was just too fast in the races for the rest of us!

Andy keogh was in my class in secondry school then. He was always a nice chap.

Did Andy skip a year then? I know he was below me in primary and Alan was the same year as me in secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

played under 21 loi back in the day it was that before it became under 20's(which is now u19), which i also played...was very young at the under 21 level,about 17 i think when i started playing it! then when i moved away from home for college my fitness and everything went out the window unfortunately,was actually 21 when i played my last under 20 loi game, nearly 4 years later all i have is scoring beauts in astro to tide me over...mad to get back playin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Conor Sammon played for my club but the year younger so would have played against him a few times in pre-season friendlies at u15's or so.

Would have had kick-abouts with Robbie Brady when our Da's were playing on the same team, he was probably about 3 or something so he basically learned his trade from me, think i'm entitled to 5% of his transfer fee or something.

Was at the same basketball camp as Darren Randolph if that counts and my mate accused him of robbing beers at a poker game i had in my gaff. :D

Played with Kevin Grogan in the local field growing up. He was part of that u-16's irish team that won the Euro Champs and was highly rated at Utd. but injuries forced him to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

My first cousin is on the books at villa, captained Ireland recently against Germany at u21 or u 19 and was banging the goals in for club and country.... Got to play in the reserve cup final at old Trafford against united last season (I think was reserves anyway) but things seem to be going well hopefully he will break into the first team under lambert....brought in when oneil was managing

I myself play in division 2 of the Kilkenny juniors league after years out playing rugby and astro....one game we had to shoo sheep of the pitch and there was **** all over it

My cousin gets paid to play football whereas I pay for the privilege

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Brother had a trial with Notts Forest back in the day. A lot of people had high hopes for him, but he had ridiculous luck with injuries, I think he broke his leg more than once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I know a **** ton of LOI players and lads who play LSL and Combined Counties now who've been over and back a few times when they were teenagers to the likes of Celtic, Forrest, United, Liverpool, etc.

Know one lad who was at United for most of his teenage years and had a load of Irish underage caps, really skillful left winger with bags of pace when he was younger, ended up being released at 21 after spending 2 years training with the first team and playing for the reserves. I his own words, turned down Championship and league 1 clubs to come home because he was too big headed to play for small money. Ended up playing with Athlone for a few years before packing it in, by the time he was finished he'd lost the pace and lost the interest. Plays a bit of GAA now and that's it. One of his best friends is John O'Shea, they were room mates for the underage and reserve teams.

Know another lad, was a year behind me in secondary school, when I was in 5th year he signed for celtic and moved to Glasgow in September, lasted 4 months and came home because his girlfriend was going to break up with him... Silly fecker, was a seriously good keeper too. No idea what he's doing now.

Sisters ex signed for Leicester when he was 16, he's 2 years younger than me but was playing my level at u'16's and 17's (he would have been 14 and 15..), played centre mid back then, always a very good passer and had a cracking left foot. Went over there and ended up playing left back, was there academy player of the year, was in the first team by the age of 19 and played a fair few games for them. Then he moved to Leeds on loan when he was 20, was sent off and suspended suspended for the league 1 playoffs but they signed him from Leicester a few weeks later as his contract was up. He got injured at the start of the next season and then they changed managers and the new lad didn't fancy him at all and he ended up on loan at Swindon in Jan 2010 and then they signed him the following season, the summer after than he joined Notts County and has been there for the last 18 months and never been out of the team. Nice lad but was always a filthy player. Can hit an absolute missile of a free kick.

The best player I every played with or against at underage level was a lad called Benny Magennis, he was always the shortest lad on the field, played up front, unreal ball control and passing, playing with him was just easy, scored goals for fun and was impossible to get the ball off because he was so low, he'd just drop the shoulder, turn you and leave you on your arse. Constantly had scouts looking at him but they all said the same thing, "he's too short, we'll check back in 6 months". He's only about 5'3 now so never really hit that growth spurt, plays combined counties for Willow Park now. I genuinely believe if he was half a foot taller he'd be in the Ireland squad and playing in the premiership now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

8-10 wrote: »

Did Andy skip a year then? I know he was below me in primary and Alan was the same year as me in secondary.
    Ye he skipped 4th year.

When alan obrien was at newcastle, shearer and bellamy were there. They were all mucking around and bellamy and alan o'b decided to have a race. Shearer put five grand on bellamy to win but alan stomped home ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

grenache wrote: »
    Its often forgotten but Paul Hart brought through a serious amount of underage talent brought through at Forest and Leeds - Andy Reid, Jermaine Jenas, Michael Dawson, Harry Kewell, Ian Harte, Jonathan Woodgate, Paul Robinson, etc.

Always a better coach than manager though.

Im not surprised that he did. He was a super coach and always told us to express ourself on the field. Even the names you mentioned prove that. All very neat footballers on the ground.

We used to play 4-4-2 diamond formation back in those days(like all clubs did in England nearly) or 5-3-2 if we were playing better side and played counter attacking. Was DM myself.

Dave Bassett was strange type of person though. He came to watch us one time against Leeds. We had a super technical player(became decent championship player in end). In that game it was 1-1 going into injury time. This same player attempts outrageous 40 yard pass with outside of his foot beats 2 defenders for the striker to run onto and puts the ball away. Hart was in awe and so were we.

But then we were invited to training session with senior squad. The first team were circled around the manager as we watched on from sideline. Next thing Basset calls over the same player. Remember this guy is no more then 16.

He basically told him that if he ever tried to do a stupid pass like that again that he would be released and would never set inside the door again. It was a shocking way to handle a young lad at the time. Even though he was a bit cocky lad in no way did he deserve that.

There were few more, but that one sticks out most.

No wonder he never made a decent manager after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Played with Connor Sammon on the school team

Odd thing is he was probably top four (at a push) but was a year younger,s ometimes didnt get picked etc. He was always dedicated though, no drinking excessively (or at all?). Think thats the main difference in players that do and dont make it.

Mate of mine used to bet on him first goalscorer when he was at Wigan as he "used to work with him". Bookies laughed all the way to the bank :)

Very nice guy and glad to see him doing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Brother was a very good keeper in his teens, played with Larne Youth in a few Nike World Club Cups and with NI in the Milk Cup. Was scouted a few times but it just never happened for him. Makes me wonder, I'd love to dig out the old programmes from those tournaments and see if there are any big names.

The only one I can remember he played with was Dean Shiels who he lovingly described as "a complete and utter w*nker" :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

oooohhh football friend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

A guy I worked with played for Ipswich Town:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabil_Abidallah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Went to school with a lad who is currently playing with Kilmarnock, signed with Celtic as a young lad back in 2006'ish, I think he's know round these parts anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Only person I've played with who has also played cross channel is Graham Kelly. Former Derby County and now at Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

my only claim to fame is playing on the same pitch as Roy Keane once.

He was doing a FAS course and one of the areas they used have a kickabout was on our way home from school. so being boys we started bringing in our gear on a wednesday and getting a game going after the half day....

There would be anything from 10 to 15 a side games!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

Was in liverpool with the local club for a tournament at easter time ( back in the 80's) Got invited down to bolton for a trial as a result of being seen at one of our games...always knew I wasn't good enough but could play but enjoyed the day at bolton....

A guy I knew and played against was brought to Brighton at 16 serious talent. Brighton had lost an Fa Cup final and had tony grealish etc playing with them. Anyway he was sent home in a year as he was constantly draggin all the youths out on the razz..pity..the guy was absolutely gifted...I know there are losts of guys like that but he sticks in my mind

Played with Roy Keane in an Interfirm game...we got a free outside the box and I take them..I lined it up and he hit it and scored ...couldn't bollock him out of it cause he scored..just as well when I know what I know now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I went to school with a lad who has played for Forest, the Cypriot second divisions champions, and is now with Scunny. Played for a few of my local clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Had trials at Oldham, my hometown club, in 1989. Might have been because i was friends with Joe Royle's sons at school though...

Also played against Ryan Giggs at both football and Rugby League.

Know Paul Scholes reasonably well, always stop and have a chat when i see him when I'm back in Oldham/Saddleworth. Good bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Know a few LOI players. Rovers and Bohs first teamers.

Gran-aunt went out with Tommy Docherty!
    About the height of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Spent a summer training with Sligo Rovers, but nothing ever came of it.
    Inter-pros was the highest level I ever played at underage, and played Eircom U21 league for NUI Galway whilst in college.

Have played with and against a lot of lads who have played LOI (both underage, and in Junior soccer as they were on their last legs).
    Two lads I played on schools teams with went over to Premiership sides, but other than reserves and League Cup bench appearances never made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Have a cousin playing in the championship, had a few seasons in the premiership, few caps for Ireland at senior and u21.
    Im lucky enough to have met quite alot of famous players (through him obviously) who all seem like nice down to earth people, nothing at all like the greedy self absorbed individuals like the tabloids would have you believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Everyone in Ireland knows at least 1 person who had a trial in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am Luis Garica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Seaneh wrote: »
    I know a **** ton of LOI players and lads who play LSL and Combined Counties now who've been over and back a few times when they were teenagers to the likes of Celtic, Forrest, United, Liverpool, etc.

Know one lad who was at United for most of his teenage years and had a load of Irish underage caps, really skillful left winger with bags of pace when he was younger, ended up being released at 21 after spending 2 years training with the first team and playing for the reserves. I his own words, turned down Championship and league 1 clubs to come home because he was too big headed to play for small money. Ended up playing with Athlone for a few years before packing it in, by the time he was finished he'd lost the pace and lost the interest. Plays a bit of GAA now and that's it. One of his best friends is John O'Shea, they were room mates for the underage and reserve teams.

Know another lad, was a year behind me in secondary school, when I was in 5th year he signed for celtic and moved to Glasgow in September, lasted 4 months and came home because his girlfriend was going to break up with him... Silly fecker, was a seriously good keeper too. No idea what he's doing now.

Sisters ex signed for Leicester when he was 16, he's 2 years younger than me but was playing my level at u'16's and 17's (he would have been 14 and 15..), played centre mid back then, always a very good passer and had a cracking left foot. Went over there and ended up playing left back, was there academy player of the year, was in the first team by the age of 19 and played a fair few games for them. Then he moved to Leeds on loan when he was 20, was sent off and suspended suspended for the league 1 playoffs but they signed him from Leicester a few weeks later as his contract was up. He got injured at the start of the next season and then they changed managers and the new lad didn't fancy him at all and he ended up on loan at Swindon in Jan 2010 and then they signed him the following season, the summer after than he joined Notts County and has been there for the last 18 months and never been out of the team. Nice lad but was always a filthy player. Can hit an absolute missile of a free kick.

The best player I every played with or against at underage level was a lad called Benny Magennis, he was always the shortest lad on the field, played up front, unreal ball control and passing, playing with him was just easy, scored goals for fun and was impossible to get the ball off because he was so low, he'd just drop the shoulder, turn you and leave you on your arse. Constantly had scouts looking at him but they all said the same thing, "he's too short, we'll check back in 6 months". He's only about 5'3 now so never really hit that growth spurt, plays combined counties for Willow Park now. I genuinely believe if he was half a foot taller he'd be in the Ireland squad and playing in the premiership now.

Funnily enough I was talking with one of the lads I currently play with about the lad that signed for Celtic on Sunday. He had played with him in underage when they made it to the semi's or final of the sfai.

On Benny, easily the most talented junior player I've ever seen. Might sound stupid but he reminds me of Messi. Amazingly low center of gravity, he'd embarrass you if you dived in and if you stand off him you haven't got a chance of keeping up with him as he has a serious turn of pace. Crazy that he never made it to LOI at the very least. Very strong on the ball too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Funnily enough I was talking with one of the lads I currently play with about the lad that signed for Celtic on Sunday. He had played with him in underage when they made it to the semi's or final of the sfai.

On Benny, easily the most talented junior player I've ever seen. Might sound stupid but he reminds me of Messi. Amazingly low center of gravity, he'd embarrass you if you dived in and if you stand off him you haven't got a chance of keeping up with him as he has a serious turn of pace. Crazy that he never made it to LOI at the very least. Very strong on the ball too.

Jaysus lads, can't believe I see Benny Magennis being mentioned in here :p And from all of the love for him it must be the case that one of ye is.....Benny Magennis :p Good footballer but nowhere near even LOI standard. There are players at his old club Willow Park who were better youth prospects back in the day. The Athlone scene was always gas, some unreal Junior players but the step up to LOI (even in the first division with Athlone) was always too big of a step. And then people say the LOI is a poor standard :confused:

As for Eric Molloy, hes always been known to talk himself up as having had big money offers post-united but I don't believe a word of it. He never really stood out for Athlone Town either in that brief spell (where he was fully fit and still relatively in shape). He never looked like a lad who had been close to making it in England going by his displays in St.Mels.

Alan Sheehan however, thats a different story. Very, very talented player as a kid. Attitude problems but it was always going to be that way given how far ahead he was of other kids. Still carving out a career for himself in England and dare I say it, its not too late for him to gate crash the irish senior squad if he continued to impress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

just remembered my girlfriends cousin played champions league football with blackburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Just remembered that my cousin plays international football for the Bahamas :pac:

Benny was in the same team as Noel McGee and to be honest, it was always Benny that stood out underage (Noel was class too and a year or two younger as well). And Benny was always being poached by the team above us (the likes of Gary McHugh, Brian Caldwell, Pearse Hegarty, etc) and always looked comfortable with them despite being 2 years younger, 8 inches shorter and about half their weight.
    In the age group I was in the 3 best outfield players in town were Ian O'Riley, Benny Mc and John Molloy and I'd have picked Benny of the 3 every time, but I played with him from u9 - u17 so I'd be biased :P

That Willow team does have some lads who were unreal underage though, the likes of Mark McConnell, Peter Sherlock, the Hyland lads, Garry Mc, Brain Frawley (long time ago now but he has several Irish under age caps), Brian Caldwell, Whittaker, Nicco... no wonder some of their combined counties results look like rugby scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Benny was in the same team as Noel McGee and to be honest, it was always Benny that stood out underage (Noel was class too and a year or two younger as well). And Benny was always being poached by the team above us (the likes of Gary McHugh, Brian Caldwell, Pearse Hegarty, etc) and always looked comfortable with them despite being 2 years younger, 8 inches shorter and about half their weight.
    In the age group I was in the 3 best outfield players in town were Ian O'Riley, Benny Mc and John Molloy and I'd have picked Benny of the 3 every time, but I played with him from u9 - u17 so I'd be biased :P

That Willow team does have some lads who were unreal underage though, the likes of Mark McConnell, Peter Sherlock, the Hyland lads, Garry Mc, Brain Frawley (long time ago now but he has several Irish under age caps), Brian Caldwell, Whittaker, Nicco... no wonder some of their combined counties results look like rugby scores.

Probably bringing the thread off topic, sorry. But what's the story with Noel this season? I've been told he won't be getting a contract with Athlone, not sure whether it's true though.

Probably bringing the thread off topic, sorry. But what's the story with Noel this season? I've been told he won't be getting a contract with Athlone, not sure whether it's true though.

No clue tbh... best bet would be to ask himself... or battery rover :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

remember playin against noely one day,i was with longford,him with athlone,dropped to the under 21s...he wasnt a happy bunny,he played with my brother and cousin who moved to athlone at 17 and were startin over there,kept reminding him of the fact and askin him why was he playin against us kids!!he went nuts at the manager that day,called him every name under the sun!

the brother also played with frawley and curran and them,some good young players at the time,but the stephen kenny came to the town and signed him back home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Mate of mine played in goal for Kildare County for a bit.

Another fella off the same team ended up playing professionally in the MLS with New England Revolution after storming college 'soccer' with UCSB in California. The Kildare County manager at the time, Dermot Keely had contacts with someone in UCSB, and it ended up with my mate being brought over on a scholarship. Great guy, and still keep in touch with him regularly.

He is a right winger, and there was talk of him signing for LA, but a certain other big Galaxy signing put paid to that.

He's now married, and living in Southern California where he runs a football boat review company - Living the dream :D

Still plays at amateur level, and his team is beating all round them at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

My uncle had trials with Aston Villa back at the start of the '80s. It was just after they had won the European Cup. He went on a trip around Europe with them and everything. He decided not to pursue it, finished school, went to college and he's doing a job that he likes. He did play to a high level in Ireland and has a load of medals from his time with different teams.

I inherited some of the genes but unfortunately my career was cut short when I was 19 due to lack of fitness. I now run a record company in America. I'm a big deal. Last time I checked on Google I was worth $400 million. I've more money than all ye mother****ers on here... put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭HoggyRS

David Meyler knocked over my last can of dutch gold at a free gaff back when we were 16. Never apologised. Never forget, never forgive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

HoggyRS wrote: »
    David Meyler knocked over my last can of dutch gold at a free gaff back when we were 16. Never apologised. Never forget, never forgive.
    Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

My friend's sister shifted Cillian Sheridan in coppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

My 14 year old nephew has been approached by Fulham for a trial after the recent u15 county cup any advice, questions to be asked etc, would be appreciated. Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Sacramento wrote: »
    I currently play for the biggest club in the Premier League.
    Sligo Rovers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Had trials at Bradford City and Huddersfield. Wanted to sign for the latter but it was too much hassle getting there for training. City didnt want me :/

My bro was a far better player than me and if not for doing his cruciate at 16 he would be a pro i've no doubt

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not me but my uncle wa a carbon copy of scholes around the time he was in he united reserves, small red haired midfield maestro. My uncle was with spurs for I think a year.

Didn't make it as he was til he was too small to be a CM in the English game. Came home and played Sunday league but he still thinks he could have been the Irish scholes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Knew a guy whom Newcastle wanted to sign when he was 16 or so. His parents said no; stay in Ireland and do your Leaving Cert. Don't think he focused too much on soccer at that point. Know he drank and smoked and didn't stay in the best shape at least. He wasn't the most academic sort you'd meet. Last I heard he was working in a factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

patmac wrote: »
    My 14 year old nephew has been approached by Fulham for a trial after the recent u15 county cup any advice, questions to be asked etc, would be appreciated. Ta.

Not a whole lot to it for the moment. Let him go over and do his best. They aren't going to offer a deal the first time round and players that get signed will do many such trials and visits from the Kennedy Cup on until a deal is signed and sealed with someone. Just make sure he's playing club ball over here in the best situation possible and is kept grounded. He'll have to do very well consistently over the next 18 - 24 months and continue developing to actually get a first contract somewhere so there is a long road still to be traveled. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I dunno if you can find a contact for Noe Baba who played with Castlebar Celtic. He signed not so long ago for Fulham. He'd definitely be worth searching down and asking what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

A lad who was in my class in 3rd year now plays for the Spurs U21 side and he's only 18, he's on the Irish team too, he's an absolutely phenomenal footballer, I won't be surprised if he's in the senior squads for each team in 2 years or so, his name is Kenny McEvoy (or the mini Gareth Bale like some people think because of his ridiculous resemblence!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

A lad who was in my class in 3rd year now plays for the Spurs U21 side and he's only 18, he's on the Irish team too, he's an absolutely phenomenal footballer, I won't be surprised if he's in the senior squads for each team in 2 years or so, his name is Kenny McEvoy (or the mini Gareth Bale like some people think because of his ridiculous resemblence!)
    602780_10151177113001582_205620478_n.jpg
    BALE-1_2_1660035a.jpg
    main-gareth_1660025a.jpg

Really? I don't see it myself.

Is he really that good or is it because he looks like Bale?

Never seen him play just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

His head is one of the oddest shaped ones I've ever seen.

His head is one of the oddest shaped ones I've ever seen.

type of lad you hope never goes bald for his sake:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement