Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite compilation, any genre

Options
  • 08-01-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I'm not so much into albums, as Phil Spector described them, "two hits and ten pieces of junk".

I like to listen to compilation albums, from all artists/genres.

so, what are your favourite compilations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

When Spector made that quote in the early sixties, albums by artists had great songs on them but didn't have the same importance as they would later and the concept album wasn't born yet so the hit single was a sure fire $$$ winner .

I like compilation albums of the 60s , 70s , 80s with a variety or artists and groups of mixed genre . I also love my pop ,rock ,instrumental ,Folk ,Jazz , and classical stuff in any compilation .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Yeah, he's talking about a time when a band would have a national radio hit and the record company would rush out an album while the buzz was still hot. The album would be filled with covers and sub-standard tunes.

"(Turn On) The Music Machine" is a great example.

There's seven really good songs penned by the band, the other five tunes are covers of contemporary hits.

Albums for the most part are more than that now.

On-Topic, I have to mention this compilation.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/do-the-pop!-the-australian-garage-rock-sound-1976-1987-mw0000399756

It's a double-disc collection of Aussie punk rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

kifi wrote: »
    I'm not so much into albums, as Phil Spector described them, "two hits and ten pieces of junk".
    You're listening to the wrong albums then :)

I love a good compilation though, especially various artists compilations. Here's two of my favourites:

No-New-York.jpg

A snapshot of the short-lived but hugely influential no-wave scene in New York in the late 70's. Compiled by Brian Eno and featuring four tracks each from James Chance & The Contortions, Teenage Jesus & The Jerks, Mars and DNA.

NMEC86.jpg

The NME C86 cassette pretty much summed up DIY indie music in the mid-80's and laid down a blueprint for countless indie bands to follow. Featured bands include Primal Scream, The Pastels, Stump, The Shop Assistants, The Wedding Present, The Soup Dragons and many more. A lot of the bands here have a lot in common but it's a fantastic compilation from beginning to end.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

220px-Various_nwobhm_revisited_79.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I wouldn't agree with the statement about albums as some singer's best songs are album tracks that were never released. Sometimes even the bonus tracks on the deluxe editions can be better than many songs that made the standard edition!

Anyway my favourite compilation album:

Singles_zps3f1d7b50.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonota's compiled by Vladimir Horowitz, Cork Folk Festival Archive, Saturday Night Fever amongst others.

Advertisement