Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL Regular Season 2013

Options
  • 08-01-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

With the season only 11 or so days away, I guess it's about time we put the lockout to bed and concentrated on getting back into the swing of things.

The season format is almost certainly going to be a 48-game schedule, with no games between conferences (East plays East and West plays West). According to Bob McKenzie on Twitter, it will mean 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30).

Here is the current Stanley Cup betting:

Stanley Cup Winner
    Pittsburgh Penguins 15/2
    New York Rangers 10/1
    Vancouver Canucks 11/1
    Los Angeles Kings 11/1
    Philadelphia Flyers 14/1
    Chicago Blackhawks 15/1
    Boston Bruins 16/1
    St. Louis Blues 17/1
    Detroit Red Wings 19/1
    San Jose Sharks 22/1
    Washington Capitals 25/1
    Buffalo Sabres 28/1
    Carolina Hurricanes 28/1
    Nashville Predators 33/1
    New Jersey Devils 33/1
    Tampa Bay Lightning 30/1
    Minnesota Wild 28/1
    Anaheim Ducks 45/1
    Ottawa Senators 45/1
    Toronto Maple Leafs 45/1
    Edmonton Oilers 40/1
    Phoenix Coyotes 45/1
    Montreal Canadiens 55/1
    Florida Panthers 55/1
    Dallas Stars 55/1
    Winnipeg Jets 70/1
    Colorado Avalanche 70/1
    Calgary Flames 70/1
    New York Islanders 125/1
    Columbus Blue Jackets 200/1

I'm most interested in seeing how Minnesota do with their new high-profile acquisitions. There is talk about Kovalchuk possibly not returning to the Devils, but it is just talk at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If Schneider can handle the pressure of being the main man in Van, then I like a Canucks-Bruins rematch in the summer. Still don't think the we have the physicality needed to be champions, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

tolosenc wrote: »
    If Schneider can handle the pressure of being the main man in Van, then I like a Canucks-Bruins rematch in the summer. Still don't think the we have the physicality needed to be champions, though.

Any thoughts on where Luongo might end up? Florida return looked likely initially but from listening to TSN Toronto the past few days it seems that the Leafs might have designs on him.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Any thoughts on where Luongo might end up? Florida return looked likely initially but from listening to TSN Toronto the past few days it seems that the Leafs might have designs on him.

I think it was more of a case of he'd go to Florida than Florida actually wanting him. All anyone keeps hearing is Toronto, but I wouldn't rule out him staying this year and Gillis moving Ballard. Another option is just to buy him out if we have an amnesty, and possibly re-sign him to a favorable deal (e.g. $20m over 5 years), he'd be easier to trade and keep around that way.

And the first GM casualty of the season is confirmed. Brian Burke has been fired from the Leafs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

And the first GM casualty of the season is confirmed. Brian Burke has been fired from the Leafs.

Four years there, their first American GM and they failed to make the playoffs during that period of time. Rumours about that it is due to a disagreement over a trade for Luongo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Wonder why Burke was fired now, seems very odd.

Any ideas who might get the hot seat? At least some things are starting to move now, been a long time coming. The last few months have snailed by, I was half afraid we would get no season, and even the thought of having to wait until October for NHL hockey was making me queasy.

Edit : I see Dave Nonis got it. Ah we'll, good luck to Burke from all Bruins fans, our favourite GM Toronto ever had.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Still don't think the Canucks have the toughness that is needed to win the cup. I am expecting a big regular season from the Caps but they will probably fall to bits once the playoffs come round.

I am very excited about having Nash as a Blueshirt, he could be the difference but there is a big difference between playing for the Rangers and the Blue Jackets. There is going to be massive pressure on him to produce from day one.

COYW wrote: »
    Still don't think the Canucks have the toughness that is needed to win the cup. I am expecting a big regular season from the Caps but they will probably fall to bits once the playoffs come round.

I am very excited about having Nash as a Blueshirt, he could be the difference but there is a big difference between playing for the Rangers and the Blue Jackets. There is going to be massive pressure on him to produce from day one.

I'd be very interested to see how Richards gets on this half-season.

His two seasons at Dallas before the Rangers were a point a game, and his productivity dropped off a bit once he moved.

Looks like Kovalchuk wants to stay in the KHL until the end of the season. This one could get interesting...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/10/kovalchuk-wants-to-finish-the-season-in-the-khl/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

$100m contract and he doesn't want to play. Ouch.

Looks like Kovalchuk wants to stay in the KHL until the end of the season. This one could get interesting...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/10/kovalchuk-wants-to-finish-the-season-in-the-khl/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

$100m contract and he doesn't want to play. Ouch.

Isn't there a memorandum of understanding between the two, whereby the KHL won't employ anyone already contracted in the NHL in the event of a clash?

He may get a dispensation to play in their ASG, but that's about it, I imagine.

• Advertisement

Isn't there a memorandum of understanding between the two, whereby the KHL won't employ anyone already contracted in the NHL in the event of a clash?

He may get a dispensation to play in their ASG, but that's about it, I imagine.

Some quotes from the KHL president (and oil baron) Alexander Medvedev in the past few days:

“The NHL’s opinion of itself is so high. … Okay, let them get drunk on their greatness,”

“We’ll see how many Euros look our way.

“A number of players have either decided to stay or are looking into it. …Our league will act according to our own and international rules. If players decide to stay, we will help them.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

From his point of view it's pretty understandable that he doesn't want to return straight away. He's captain of the team on course to win the championship and must be feeling torn between letting down the team and fans he's been with all season and returning to a league which wouldn't let him play.

He'll be back of course due to his contract and Lamoriello says he has no reason to believe he wont be. But as a Devils fan he's gone down in my estimation a little, certainly don't think he's captain material now but hopeful he keeps up his current form as we need him at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I think it was more of a case of he'd go to Florida than Florida actually wanting him. All anyone keeps hearing is Toronto, but I wouldn't rule out him staying this year and Gillis moving Ballard. Another option is just to buy him out if we have an amnesty, and possibly re-sign him to a favorable deal (e.g. $20m over 5 years), he'd be easier to trade and keep around that way.

Knowing Dale Tallon, I would say that you are right about him wanting to/moving to Florida.

I'm not sure how the buy-outs are going to work in the new CBA. I do know that things have changed in how teams can bury contracts in the AHL. It should be interesting to see how this all pans out.

The schedule has been announced. Next weekend can't come soon enough.

Tzoje.png

Any fear of the fans not coming back are well and truly gone at this point. The Penguins are currently having an inter-team match at the Consol, and the place is packed with 2,000 people outside looking for access. Roll on Saturday.

This start of this season is going to be extremely unpredictable due to the lack of pre-season practice and games that the teams will have had. I was looking at the results of some of the warm-up games going on and noticed that the Bruins lost to Providence, their AHL affiliate 7-5 the other day. It shows how little preparation the NHL teams will have had come their first game of the season.

This start of this season is going to be extremely unpredictable due to the lack of pre-season practice and games that the teams will have had. I was looking at the results of some of the warm-up games going on and noticed that the Bruins lost to Providence, their AHL affiliate 7-5 the other day. It shows how little preparation the NHL teams will have had come their first game of the season.

God help whoever drafted Tuukka Rask, 6 goals on 24 shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I watched the game live, and it was entertaining. 8 goals in the third period, but the P-Bruins showed why they have been playing so well in the AHL this season. Played good and physical and used their roster very well. Was great to see Bourgue get 3 point too for the Bruins, if he can stay and claim a spot on the roster, then he could be a future star for us.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

God help whoever drafted Tuukka Rask, 6 goals on 24 shots!

A little rusty eh? I think he'll come good though...:p

John bloody Ferguson Jr is the answer to that quiz question, and then later traded him, inexplicably! Justin Pogge indeed; Andrew Raycroft too (I shudder at the thought).

mod9maple wrote: »

A little rusty eh? I think he'll come good though...:p

John bloody Ferguson Jr is the answer to that quiz question, and then later traded him, inexplicably! Justin Pogge indeed; Andrew Raycroft too (I shudder at the thought).

I was referring to the Fantasy league we have, just a bit of banter. I actually had Rask as my second Goaltender to Lundqvist last year and he was invaluable. Excellent goalie.

Will be interesting to see how he fares as a No. 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I was referring to the Fantasy league we have, just a bit of banter.

Oops, sorry, the thought didn't even enter my head :o

But I knew you weren't being serious, nor really was I - apart from the fact I wish Rask had never been traded of course! :(

He's an excellent goalie for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Wade Redden to the Blues.

That puts pay to any hope they had for success!

Roll on tomorrow!

Finished my exams today. No I can start looking forward to hockey. Until my next set of exams, which will clash with the first round of the playoffs. :(

Wade Redden to the Blues.

Wow, I thought he was well and truly finished.

Always felt sorry for Redden, in the sense that it wasn't his fault he was paid that much money and couldn't live up to expectations. Struck me as a decent guy, unless there was something I missed to suggest otherwise.

He's had a minus rating in his two AHL seasons so I can't see him doing much in St. Louis.

Always felt sorry for Redden, in the sense that it wasn't his fault he was paid that much money and couldn't live up to expectations. Struck me as a decent guy, unless there was something I missed to suggest otherwise.

He's had a minus rating in his two AHL seasons so I can't see him doing much in St. Louis.

Yep, way too much money and way too much expected of him. Sather is to blame for that as opposed to Redden. I have nothing against the guy but I am surprised to see him back in the NHL.

So, Kings ship 5. Only did that twice last year. Way to early to call something, but if Quick isn't as good as he was last year, LA won't go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Fighting seems so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Not much has changed with the Habs anyway. PP was awful, crowd were booing and shouting shoot. A lot of chants for PK Subban too, hopefully that will be resolved soon.

On a whole, they deserved the 2-1 loss last night.

• Advertisement

The new handpassing rule just screwed the Penguins over in MSG. Rangers score on a 5-on-3 to make it 1-1 after James "Real Deal" Neal scored the opener on the PP.

Advertisement