Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some steam games on ssd, some on hdd?

• 08-01-2013 10:35pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What is the simplest way to go about doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Steam allows me the option to install individual games on different drives.

Comes up when you try to install them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh that must be new. I have all the files already though, handy way to incorporate them? it's nearly 500gigs of games so I don't want to download them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, that's what i have as well. The ones i play the most on the ssd. There was a way of moving the games, but Steam recently made a change to allow you to select your install directory.

Steam Mover - http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover
    I've never tried it though, so...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Oh that must be new. I have all the files already though, handy way to incorporate them? it's nearly 500gigs of games so I don't want to download them.

First just copy the game folder into a your new steamapps directory on a different drive, then delete the existing one. From the client you can then "reinstall" the game to this new location. Steam should just detect and verify the existing files rather than download them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Steam - Settings - Steam Library Folders - Add folder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Steam - Settings - Steam Library Folders - Add folder

Knew I forgot something :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Kids these days don't know how easy they have it. In my day you had to manually mklink everything, now you're given a choice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Its great to finally have this option on Steam. There was always a workaround to split the Steam installation, but now its hassle free. And necessary too considering it is now longer a certainty that users will have vast amount of free space on one hard drive considering the introduction of SSD's and the growth of individual users libraries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Do people have many games installed at any one time? I normally only have two or three games installed, no point having them sitting there eating up space if I'm not likely to play a game again for a few years, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

With the larger games, I don't want the bother of downloading them again. My broadband is not the fastest. Took me 6 hours to download XCOM. I know I won't play many games again, but I like hoarder the games in case I do want to play them again :p

• Advertisement

I've 6 or 7 installed at the moment, though i only regularly play 2 or 3. Some are installed as i'd go back to them fairly regularly, like Skyrim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Zillah wrote: »
    Do people have many games installed at any one time? I normally only have two or three games installed, no point having them sitting there eating up space if I'm not likely to play a game again for a few years, if ever.

I don't have that many, like I'd play them now and again, but it's 400 gigs. Space is cheap, why bother dling them again.

Space is cheap, why bother dling them again.

I'd almost say the opposite. Internet is so fast, why not download them :pac:

Because they are always available with no waiting whatsoever. I have 150mb and still wouldnt want to download the bigger games!
    Max payne 3 35gb. X-Plane 9 - 70GB

Ain't nobody got time for that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have about 20 games installed on my 2tb secondary drive, that's what its there for

X-Plane 9 - 70GB

:eek:
    Holy crap. I guess i see your point now :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Kiith wrote: »
    :eek:
    Holy crap. I guess i see your point now :o

Don't forget bandwidth limits on internet providers as well. UPC have 500gb. That's not even enough for a steam sale!
    Zillah wrote: »

The only ones I haven't installed yet are games that seem to need to be installed on the C-Drive. I've got most of mine downloaded and installed. Haven't had a chance to touch'em yet, but when I get it, I'd rather grab'em when they are there as opposed to waiting for a bit.

Advertisement