Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avalon pre marriage course

• 08-01-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

Anyone done this course on in kilmurray lodge , Is it any good is it accepted by church any info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Looking at it myself. Some churches do not accept it so word is you should check with your priest first. They do a home DVD service as well.

You can also do a course in St Munchins College with Accord.

I was trying to ask my priest all day to ask this question.(no he wasn't in the church) Very elusive person to track down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

Tks Beer Baron was looking at accord 2 but its over 2 days and tks 9 hrs compared to 6hrs for avalon must get herself to check with priest then

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I did that course when I got married, although it was in the Green Hills when I did it, and the priest accepted it no problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I did it as well when it was in the greenhills. Its a quicker, cheaper option if your priest allows you to do it. Imho its a load of crap and just another unneeded expense. We got absolutely nothing out of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I did it as well when it was in the greenhills. Its a quicker, cheaper option if your priest allows you to do it. Imho its a load of crap and just another unneeded expense. We got absolutely nothing out of it.

IMVHO it's the Terms and Conditions of the Catholic Marriage Ceremony, if you want to get married in the Church you have to go by their rules and understand them, stuff like bringing up kids, having kids, etc. etc.

Also, in the general scheme of things for weddings now, the Pre-Marriage course is probably 1 of the cheapest parts of the whole thing, I remember in my case it was cheaper than 1 Bridesmaid dress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Clareman wrote: »

IMVHO it's the Terms and Conditions of the Catholic Marriage Ceremony, if you want to get married in the Church you have to go by their rules and understand them, stuff like bringing up kids, having kids, etc. etc.

Also, in the general scheme of things for weddings now, the Pre-Marriage course is probably 1 of the cheapest parts of the whole thing, I remember in my case it was cheaper than 1 Bridesmaid dress.

Its overkill tho in this day and age. Id agree with you on the cost side but what catholic doesn't know the terms and conditions already. I really got more out of sitting down for an hour with our priest and having a chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Avalon course isn't bad in fairness to it a lot better than I expected for a quazi catholic athiest like myself. Enjoyed it for the most part. They guy doing it was bang on though and kept us all entertained. That was in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Did it, would agree with the positive comments above.
    Our local priest had no issue with it, but we were getting married abroad, so he was getting the *cough* donation *cough* for signing a few bits of paper and it was someone else's responsibility after that.

This things tend to fill up fast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

The priest who will be marrying us will only accept the Accord one. As mentioned above, it's over a two day period but I've heard that the course is enjoyable. Although I would prefer not to do it at all, it's one of those things you can't avoid.

Ensure that you check with the priest beforehand if he will accept the Avalon one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Culleeo wrote: »
    The priest who will be marrying us will only accept the Accord one. As mentioned above, it's over a two day period but I've heard that the course is enjoyable. Although I would prefer not to do it at all, it's one of those things you can't avoid.

Ensure that you check with the priest beforehand if he will accept the Avalon one.

You heard wrong, I thought it was awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Is there any way to get out of these courses or would you have to talk to the priest who is doing the marriage?

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    Is there any way to get out of these courses or would you have to talk to the priest who is doing the marriage?

Apparently getting out of it is extremely rare.

You can get out of them very easily, don't get married in a Church.

I know in this day and age divorce and separation are the norm, but as far as the Church is concerned marriage is a decision that you can't go back on till 1 of you die, they also have to be sure that you understand the terms and conditions of marriage rather than just assuming that you do.

People have no problem going for suit/dress fittings, stag/hen weekends, test shoots with a photographer, picking out invites or booklets, why not spend a couple of hours/evenings/weekend at a pre-marriage course.

Newport is Accord only as of this mornings phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Clareman wrote: »
    You can get out of them very easily, don't get married in a Church.

I know in this day and age divorce and separation are the norm, but as far as the Church is concerned marriage is a decision that you can't go back on till 1 of you die, they also have to be sure that you understand the terms and conditions of marriage rather than just assuming that you do.

People have no problem going for suit/dress fittings, stag/hen weekends, test shoots with a photographer, picking out invites or booklets, why not spend a couple of hours/evenings/weekend at a pre-marriage course.
    Not the worlds most religious person, but I agree - you don't have to get married in a church, so no need to be moaning about the terms and conditions. If you approach it in the right frame of mind you will find something beneficial in it, no harm to focus the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Apparently getting out of it is extremely rare.

Getting married in October in county Limerick,priest said we didn't have to do the course if we didn't want to :D

angelll wrote: »
    Getting married in October in county Limerick,priest said we didn't have to do the course if we didn't want to :D

I must ask my priest so, getting married later in the year. With my partner over 10 years with a baby due so I think it would be pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Wilbert13 wrote: »

Yes, have a civil ceremony in a location of your choice. Miles better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Apparently most priests are in favour of the accord one as the church gets a small % of the fees.

I did the Accord one in St Munchins not too long ago, and it was better than I expected. Its a small price to pay if you want a catholic marriage. Plus the food at lunch time was great!!

Yes, have a civil ceremony in a location of your choice. Miles better imo.

I have no input on that side of things. My duties are to get a suit, show up sober and provide funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mc Love wrote: »
    Apparently most priests are in favour of the accord one as the church gets a small % of the fees.

I did the Accord one in St Munchins not too long ago, and it was better than I expected. Its a small price to pay if you want a catholic marriage. Plus the food at lunch time was great!!
    I'm not at all religious (my husband would be though) we did the Accord two day course in Nenagh a few years back and I thought it was grand, the people giving the course were very nice and made it interesting and entertaining. We enjoyed the craic and the banter with the other couples too. Like lots of things, it's all about attitude, if you go into it with an open mind, you'll probably get something out of it or even enjoy it!

I reckon the church insist on people doing pre-marriage courses to reduce the number of people looking for annulments later on.

You are probably right, I am approaching it in the wrong frame of mind, I should be more open about it and go and see what it is like before dismissing it when I don't know what it's about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Did the accord one greatest waste of money in history. If you didn't want kids you were in the wrong place couple we were next to got up and left wish we had.

sioda wrote: »
    Did the accord one greatest waste of money in history. If you didn't want kids you were in the wrong place couple we were next to got up and left wish we had.

No Cert = No Catholic wedding for them I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

They clearly believe that sex is for something other than procreation, so why would they want a Catholic wedding?

I had great fun during the "little chat" with the priest when myself and the missus got hitched, fadó, fadó (her family insisted on a Church wedding). Right in front of her, the priest went into a routine with me about how when a fella wants to buy a car, now he doesn't just walk into a garage and buy the first thing he sees on the forecourt...

It was worth it just for the look on Her face! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

sioda wrote: »

Done the Accord one myself last year and it was a waste but we had no choice but to do it. We were lucky enough to have some very funny people on the course with us which made it more bearable.
    One the plus side the lunch was gorgeous :)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Mc Love wrote: »

Business is business and for as long as people want to ensure they have two people in white dresses at the top of the local church for their wedding they have put their common sense and principles to one side I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

Well our priest said he didnt mind which 1 we did so long as we did 1 ,
    Do they include food in the accord one , Avalon one has no lunch included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Pre prepped sandwiches and warm tea is all we got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

redrums wrote: »
    Well our priest said he didnt mind which 1 we did so long as we did 1 ,
    Do they include food in the accord one , Avalon one has no lunch included

Snacks, tea and coffee on the friday evening
    Sandwiches & wraps, crisps, hot food (sausages, spring rolls etc) for the lunch saturday - well worth it :D

Advertisement