Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a deferred course after doing 1 year of another course

• 08-01-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I got an offer for a certain course in Trinity the first round offers. I accepted and started the course. However, when the leaving cert. recheck results came out, I received another offer for another course, and after much consideration I decided to defer it as it meant starting into the course late, leaving my accommodation and my new friends. My question is whether or not I will have to pay the tuition fees for first year of the new course, because someone mentioned to me that I might not have to considering that it is the fault of the examinations commission that I didn't get my preferred course in the first place.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

anybody? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can't see what it being the fault of the SEC would matter.
    The fees are charged by the college - you mean the SEC would pay for you to do a year in college on a course you don't intend finishing because an error was made in your marking?

I don't think you will be paid tuition fees for two 'first' years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Being blunt, not a hope in hell.

This would be the relevant bit:
    ... and after much consideration I decided to defer it as it meant starting into the course late, leaving my accommodation and my new friends.
    You had the choice to transfer at that stage, avoiding the double fees situation.

I can understand why ofc, and it's bad luck that it took a re-check to get you the course you originally wanted, but the fact remains that this is the downside of the decision to continue with the course you were offered first for the full year rather than transferring.

Advertisement