Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JC/LC superintending

• 08-01-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I'm considering applying for this for the summer. Does anyone know what the rate of pay is like or what it has been in the past?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

sitstill wrote: »
    I'm considering applying for this for the summer. Does anyone know what the rate of pay is like or what it has been in the past?

It's not great to be honest.
    You'll be paying around 56% on earnings.

The Tuesday you get €260 for collecting the box & setting up your centre.
    The pay is about €110 per day of supervision after that.

New applicants rarely get the long stint in centres, you might get 7 or 8 days.

You get an advance of €500 or so but you have to pay your attendant out of that - €260 or so & you don't see the rest til August or so.

It's a fairly stressful job to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Depending on your subject, it's probably a better option than correcting. The sooner they stop retired teachers doing it the better. I hit it for two years but haven't got it this past few years. For 8 days you might get around €600-700, which is decent.

I corrected Maths papers at JC level last year and only cleared €850 for 3 weeks work. Won't be doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Is it not too late to apply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

doc_17 wrote: »
    The sooner they stop retired teachers doing it the better.

There is a requirment this year that all those supervising / correcting exams are registered with the Teaching Council so its a start in the right direction because most retired teachers could have let their registration lapse and may not want to start the registration process again for a couple of weeks work.

Is it not too late to apply?

No deadline is January 25th

• Advertisement

No deadline is January 25th

Great! I'm only back from maternity leave and thought I'd missed it. I've applied every year for the last 12 years. I live in hope...

Great! I'm only back from maternity leave and thought I'd missed it. I've applied every year for the last 12 years. I live in hope...

I presume you did it aswell? You say you applied every year for the last 12 years and live in hope?

To be honest I think retired teachers should not be allowed to do it even if they are they are registered with the TC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I presume you did it aswell? You say you applied every year for the last 12 years and live in hope?

Not necessarily. I applied for it 8 or 9 years in a row and never got it. So then I stopped applying. I know other people who got it the first time they applied.

I got it one year as a last minute thing (8 years ago I think) because I was able to do it through Irish and I have never got it since. It seems to go to part-timers, retirees and people who have decades of service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭raglan

I've applied for superintendent the last 3 years, got it all times but unfurtunately had to turn it done near the date as had got a few weeks subbing around that time all 3 times, I will keep applying for it as I got picked all times with no previous experience of doing it and would have done it only I had got work. I applied for exam correcting but was turned down for that.

Depending on your subject, it's probably a better option than correcting. The sooner they stop retired teachers doing it the better. I hit it for two years but haven't got it this past few years. For 8 days you might get around €600-700, which is decent.

I corrected Maths papers at JC level last year and only cleared €850 for 3 weeks work. Won't be doing it again.

How many papers did you correct?

Was that what you cleared in October on top of your advance?

I got €1100 advance & about 2k in oct

How many papers did you correct?

Was that what you cleared in October on top of your advance?

I got €1100 advance & about 2k in oct

That was is total.got 400 advance, and 450 in October after tax. Corrected JC FL maths. Only got 300 papers. But the rate for OL is only 50cent higher and HL is an extra euro. Those would take longer to correct and I just don't think it's worth my while doing it for about €40 a day.

What do you correct? Are you working full time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Not necessarily. I applied for it 8 or 9 years in a row and never got it. So then I stopped applying. I know other people who got it the first time they applied.

Interesting you say that. My sister is fully qualified teacher with two 1st class masters degrees in her subjects. She applies every year and gets nothing. Do they pull names out of a hat or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Interesting you say that. My sister is fully qualified teacher with two 1st class masters degrees in her subjects. She applies every year and gets nothing. Do they pull names out of a hat or what?

I think if she is assuming that the Masters' degrees in specific subjects would make any difference to an application to supervise exams she might misjudging things a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

If you are an unemployed teacher do you still have to get the bit signed at the bottom from a principal/ VEC CEO ??

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Seems to be a bit of confusion on here as regards the selection procedure. Other than your ability to conduct the exam through Irish, your subject and/or qualifications has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you get selected.

I've heard on the grapevine that a certain percentage are designated for new teachers, another percentage for retired teachers, and so on. In my own case, I got it the first year after my graduation in 2010 and every year since. I know other teachers who did it for years then, for no apparent reason, were not selected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Powerhouse wrote: »

I think if she is assuming that the Masters' degrees in specific subjects would make any difference to an application to supervise exams she might misjudging things a little.

I think it was me doing the assuming. It at least shows that she is highly competent and intelligent. And she also supervised University exams for several years.

That was is total.got 400 advance, and 450 in October after tax. Corrected JC FL maths. Only got 300 papers. But the rate for OL is only 50cent higher and HL is an extra euro. Those would take longer to correct and I just don't think it's worth my while doing it for about €40 a day.

What do you correct? Are you working full time?

Fair enough.
    That's pretty poor alright.

I correct LC Bio OL.
    €9.72 per paper & I corrected 365 papers.

Plus expenses etc.

I teach full time but I don't have a CID or anything yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, there's quite discrepancy between the rates paid for JC and LC.

JC really isn't worth doing apart from for the experience of knowing what they want in an answer - and they wonder why they have trouble getting people to do it repeatedly.

• Advertisement

I doubt the qualifications have anything to do with it to be honest. Having 2 masters isn't going to improve her ability to supervise exams and do the admin work associated with it. I have no idea how it works. I am permanent and was from the start and never got it. Figured it would be because I was inexperienced as a teacher, but friends with equal experience but on contract did get it.

Now I go on holidays in June and don't bother applying.

dukedalton wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit of confusion on here as regards the selection procedure. Other than your ability to conduct the exam through Irish, your subject and/or qualifications has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you get selected.

I've heard on the grapevine that a certain percentage are designated for new teachers, another percentage for retired teachers, and so on. In my own case, I got it the first year after my graduation in 2010 and every year since. I know other teachers who did it for years then, for no apparent reason, were not selected.

I'm now imagining a big glass drum Winning Streak style and some admin staff spending a Friday afternoon spinning the drum and pulling out applicants for supervision. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I think it was me doing the assuming. It at least shows that she is highly competent and intelligent. And she also supervised University exams for several years.

Masters degrees would have no bearing on your ability to implement and maintain exam conditions with a hall full of teenagers.

It would be interesting to know the way they choose people for these positions - for the sake of openess if nothing else.

Advertisement