Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to register small Ltd Co address?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi

I want to register a Ltd company for contracting and some online projects. I can't use my home address because I'm renting and I don't need to rent office space since I'm just starting off (or out contracting).
    How much would an accountant charge to 'host' a Ltd company?
    I know you can't use a PO Box, is there anywhere else someone could recommend because otherwise I don't have any need of an accountant.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

Some Serviced Offices also allow rental of a postal address.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I just used my Mother's address, where I grew up. Same reason as the OP, I rent in Dublin so it's just easier to have the registration at a permanent address.

She does manage to misplace every single important bit of mail that arrives tho...

I also am a contractor btw, and I find your idea that you can do without an accountant both funny and naive. An accountant will save you a fortune by advising you how to structure your affairs. My accountant charges me e1000+vat per year, and gives advice and prepares annual return. I do the day to day book-keeping myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

Everyone to their own regarding an accountant. If you are good with numbers and forms, I think it's very benifical doing it yourself. There are lots of resources on line and in the early stages your accounts should be fairly straight forward. I got an accountant to check my work one year and he found no issues, and could recommend nothing else that could reduce my tax bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Thanks, I'm not being naive, I have a certain amount of experience and a source of advice I can draw on. Until things get more complex I'm happy to pay myself the e1000. :D

IMHO there's an excess of mystique around accountancy and law and if you're going to be in business you should be prepared to get your head around the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The accountant also gives me personal tax and pension advice (seperate to doing the companies annual return). This alone makes it worth while.

Do you know about subsistence allowance? Do you know why so many people sign up for boring conferences? (hint: it's not to learn)

If you don't earn much money then sure it may not be worth it. Also be aware of the kind of penalties that "doing it wrong" can attract from the Revenue.

It's not the book-keeping that's difficult, it's all the regulations that govern companies. Running as a sole trader is a lot simpler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

If you're happy and feel you get value for money then fair enough. Yes, I know about subsistence, I'm aware there are responsibilities attached. I've operated as a sole trader before but it doesn't suit me this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

MrScootch wrote: »
    Hi

I want to register a Ltd company for contracting and some online projects. I can't use my home address because I'm renting and I don't need to rent office space since I'm just starting off (or out contracting).
    How much would an accountant charge to 'host' a Ltd company?
    I know you can't use a PO Box, is there anywhere else someone could recommend because otherwise I don't have any need of an accountant.

Thanks!

There's a number of companies that offer "virtual offices" - there are others that offer "secretarial services"
    Depending on which services you need and your budget pick one that fits your needs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭bon ami

For a Business accommodation Address or registered office www.kbvo.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CompanyBureau

You can't use a PO box as a registered office address FYI.

Advertisement