Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Home Phone - Cordless only??

• 08-01-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi All,

Probably a stupid question, but does UPC Home Phone only work with cordless phones or can I continue to use fixed line?

Due to the usual problems with cordless phones: TV inteference, not working in a power cut, battery life decreasing rapidly, etc, etc, I decided to replace all my cordless phones with fixed line phones quite recently.

This week I ordered UPC Home Phone and received my kit today, but all the documentation refers to cordless phones?

Please tell me it's possible to connect up to the pre-wired phone jacks throughout the apartment! :-o

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Yeah it works with old type wired phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

Yeah it works with old type wired phones.

Pheew! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

Eh? I thought all UPC phones had to be connected to your router - so you get a base station and cordless phone that you plug in to it - unless there is a feed from the phone sockets to the router, these wont work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

The above poster is correct - UPC won't work with fixed line phones because the service doesn't use a regular phone line at all. It comes in via the router and you'll need to connect a cordless phone/base station to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MartyM wrote: »
    Due to the usual problems with cordless phones: TV inteference, not working in a power cut, battery life decreasing rapidly, etc, etc, I decided to replace all my cordless phones with fixed line phones quite recently.
    Well, your UPC phone service won't work in a power cut either, unless you connect the modem/router up to a UPS, so you haven't really gained anything by substituting your cordless phones for fixed ones.

Anyway, I don't really understand your other concerns either ... I've never experienced any kind of interference on anything from my DECT phones, certainly not my TV, unless they were some ancient non-digital phones, or illegal non-EU imports working on the wrong frequencies. And if the battery life is reducing, just replace the batteries with new rechargeable ones, easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The above poster is correct - UPC won't work with fixed line phones because the service doesn't use a regular phone line at all. It comes in via the router and you'll need to connect a cordless phone/base station to this.
    The line that comes out of a cordless base station looks exactly the same to the router as a fixed line phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can plug a phone line into the rear of the router. Any standard phone line to any phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

We have our old eircom branded corded phone plugged into the back of the router.Works perfectly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can also disconnect you incoming Eircom & replace it with the line out of the UPC modem. This will allow you the use of multiple sockets around your house as you may have had before.

Advertisement