Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs that Serve Craft Beer

Options
  • 08-01-2013 11:32pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, my girlfriend and I are heading down to Waterford the following weekend and I was hoping I could get some recommendations for pubs that serve craft beer? Herself isn't a beer drinker though so 'normal' drinks are a must :p

Additional info re. live music, food, age group etc in these places would be great too :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Phil Grimes on Johnstown has the best selection of craft beer for a pub in Waterford, decent enough local draught selection (Metalman, Dungarvan, Helvic) and a wide selection of Irish, UK and US bottled craft brews. They also serve all the regular crap too so the gf wont be without :)

Geoffs in the centre of town is a busy spot, they have Metalman on draught but nowhere near the extensive range of craft beers as Grimes'.

For German beers, Downses on Thomas St is a good spot, also a lovely pub, really old and they sell their own distilled whiskey - 'number 9'

Front Lounge, also on Johnstown is a decent live music spot but no craft beers here. Upstairs in the kazbar can be decent for live music too, but again no craft beer

If you are down for the weekend, I'd recommend maybe Downses for the first part of Fri, then down to Geoffs (for ease maybe hop in a taxi). On the Saturday, a trip down to Johnstown to Grimes' and then later to Front Lounge

Where ye staying? Can give some pointers on directions.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thanks for the detailed reply :)

We're staying in the Fitzwilton Hotel, which google maps tells me is on Bridge street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Revolution on John street has a great selection, some fantastic beers there.

If you venture out of town we have a big selection in Oskars also, everything from Metalman pale ale to Sink the Bismark!

Forgot bout revolution, good choice alright but not my type of place tbh.

Well downses is just round the corner from fitzwilton so def go there, just ask at reception for exact directions, 2 min walk to downses but maybe get a taxi from there to town, it's a short spin but will save u any direction hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Downses is a crackin bar alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Since I am a craft beer drinker, my main spots would be downes, Phil grimes and since oskars reopened is a handy spot for me since I only live cross the road. And if you do go to Downes, you gotta try the no 9 whiskey. For live music I do recommend the front lounge. Grimes does have the largest selection and tom the barman is very knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Grimes for the win!

Revolution has a good selection aswell, just not my kinda place....Oskars is good too but bit far out

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

As they say there is an app for that

The BeoirFinder app for IOS or Android

Here is a link to a directory of Craft beer sellers in Ireland

http://www.beoir.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&Itemid=69

The links to the apps is in the second paragraph.

thanks for the recommendations everyone! Seems there's a decent amount of choice.

I do have the Beoirfinder app, but I find it can under-represent the selection available and figured it'd be good to get an opinion from the regulars :)

thanks for the recommendations everyone! Seems there's a decent amount of choice.

I do have the Beoirfinder app, but I find it can under-represent the selection available and figured it'd be good to get an opinion from the regulars :)

Let us know afterwards your thoughts and how you get on :D

• Advertisement

Will do!

Well had a wonderful weekend in Waterford :) Very lucky with the weather in the end!

Friday night we went to Downes for a pint before dinner, decent selection of German beers, though the place was a bit dead at that point. Ended up in Revolution that night then, her choice but I was willing to accept it for the beer selection :p

Saturday we went to Phil Grimes, which I loved, Great choice of beer, really nice atmosphere (helped ourselves to the board games :p) and the barman was lovely, couldn't do enough for us! Stayed there til closing then went to the front lounge, caught the end of a band there. They had Metalman on tap and apparently do a brilliant Daiquiri so were were quite happy :)

Unrelated, but got lunch in Poppy's cafe on Johns Street. Great food and really nice service, will definitely go back if I have the opportunity.

Once again, thanks for your suggestions!

Well had a wonderful weekend in Waterford :) Very lucky with the weather in the end!

Friday night we went to Downes for a pint before dinner, decent selection of German beers, though the place was a bit dead at that point. Ended up in Revolution that night then, her choice but I was willing to accept it for the beer selection :p

Saturday we went to Phil Grimes, which I loved, Great choice of beer, really nice atmosphere (helped ourselves to the board games :p) and the barman was lovely, couldn't do enough for us! Stayed there til closing then went to the front lounge, caught the end of a band there. They had Metalman on tap and apparently do a brilliant Daiquiri so were were quite happy :)

Unrelated, but got lunch in Poppy's cafe on Johns Street. Great food and really nice service, will definitely go back if I have the opportunity.

Glad you enjoyed. Tom in Grimes' is dead on alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Well had a wonderful weekend in Waterford : Very lucky with the weather in the end!

Pubs hiring staff locally should just send them to grimes and tell them observe him in action, hes the best ive come across

Advertisement