Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking a College?

Options
  • 09-01-2013 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Heading to college next year. I'm planning on doing Computer Science. Im set on it, can't wait.

Im looking for pros/cons of Trinity vs UCD, especially in regards to studying computer science.

Personally I found the Trinity Open day talk on CS patronising and simple. On the other hand, UCD didn't even have the science building open. :pac:

Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I had a similar experience. When I went to UCD on a school trip, our guide walked straight by the science buildings, briefly noting on how they were being renovated and everything. He wouldn't bring us in for fear he'd "get lost", and had little to say about science in general. Turned me off the place to be honest, I don't want to study on a construction site. Then again maybe it's awesome and I'm not giving it a fair chance. :P

Personally, I prefer Trinity, but I will admit that I am woefully biased because I love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Personally, I prefer Trinity, but I will admit that I am woefully biased because I love the place.

I know how you feel. ;) I found I felt like that when I attended the UCD Open Day. But due to ****e buses, I missed the CS talk. :mad:

I have been told by a family friend in the industry to stay the hell away from Computer Science and opt instead for Computer Engineering. I presume he means in terms of work, but would there be that large of a difference between the courses in different colleges? I have disected both Trinity and UCD's course pages and I can really find anything to seperate the two?

tl;dr

Basically, does anyone know the practical differences between the courses in different colleges?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Isn't the fact that UCD are building a new Science facility for entry 2013 a good thing? I'm a 6th year student too and I've been to both open days..
    I think Trinity and UCD are just as great each other! UCD's Science lecturers and labs are amazing and the students are very friendly (went to the Science open day in June 2012) and just in general the whole experience was great. Don't judge a college by its open day!

Advertisement