Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac foundations

• 09-01-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

It's been ages since I tried Mac foundations and I have used tended to use Clinique (or Essence when I'm broke) because they do lighter foundations that are more dewy/fluidy and don't look so like you're wearing foundation. I'm not great at make-up anyway and don't really ever wear too much. What I found with Mac was that their foundations were too heavy for my skin type and i just looked overdone with my pale skin- and this was when a makeup artist there chose it.

I got a giftcard for Christmas for them and booked a makeover with them but before I go I'd love to hear if anyone has tried their foundations lately and if they have changed the range at all to include more lightweight foundations?

Is there anything else you would recommend that is a good product in any range as well?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I loooove Studio Sculpt. It's full coverage but I never found it cakey like Studio Fix Fluid. I pair the Studio Sculpt with their Mineralise Skinfinish powder which is very lightweight. Colour-wise I'm NC15, so pale.

For a much lighter coverage their Face & Body formulation is very nice. You'd need a good concealer to cover any blemishes or dark circles properly though.

I've never tried their Matchmaster or Mineralise Satinfinish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I have oily-combination skin, so I've gone through several types of MAC foundations over the past few years

MAC Select is water-based and gives light to medium coverage. I've used it for a few years (only ever continuously used one other, so I'm going to branch out after this bottle). It's the "lightest" in colour of their liquid foundations (i.e. the NW15 in Select is much lighter/less orange than the NW15 in, say, Studio Fix Fluid). It dries insanely quickly, so if you don't like working fast on small areas then it might be an issue.

Face & Body is mentioned a lot. I haven't personally used it, but lots of people love it.

If you have money left over, the Mineralise Skin Finish Natural powder is a nice face powder if you want a little extra coverage (or just to slightly camouflage a bare face). Their eyeshadows are good also, as are most of the lipsticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

The only foundation I like from MAC is Face&Body. Like mentioned before, it is very liquid-y, lightweight and low coverage. But it doesn't budge for hours once applied. You don't even need to powder it.

Mineralize Skin Finish Natural is a great powder both on its own as a low coverage foundation or for setting liquid foundation.

I think there are much better foundations out there than MAC ones. If I were you, I'd use my gift card for eye shadows, lipsticks and the Skin Finish powder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Steffie85

Mac prolong foundation stays on forever!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

The only foundation I like from MAC is Face&Body. Like mentioned before, it is very liquid-y, lightweight and low coverage. But it doesn't budge for hours once applied. You don't even need to powder it.

Mineralize Skin Finish Natural is a great powder both on its own as a low coverage foundation or for setting liquid foundation.

I think there are much better foundations out there than MAC ones. If I were you, I'd use my gift card for eye shadows, lipsticks and the Skin Finish powder.

What other foundations do you recommend? I have found Clinique to be great but it needs blusher/bronzer on cheeks to bring up the colour as their best match for me is slightly pale, but still a good natural one. Haven't really tried many others.

Chanel seem like they have good ones, haven't properly tried them though, just going on tiny tester on my hand.

• Advertisement

The new YSL Touche Eclat foundation is brilliant, I'd highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Twee. wrote: »
    The new YSL Touche Eclat foundation is brilliant, I'd highly recommend it.

Bought this today on a whim and was about to start searching online reviews!

Tasden wrote: »
    Bought this today on a whim and was about to start searching online reviews!

I'd probably say it's best I've ever used :eek:

Twee. wrote: »

I'd probably say it's best I've ever used :eek:

Oh don't get my hopes up haha

pog it wrote: »
    What other foundations do you recommend? I have found Clinique to be great but it needs blusher/bronzer on cheeks to bring up the colour as their best match for me is slightly pale, but still a good natural one. Haven't really tried many others.

Chanel seem like they have good ones, haven't properly tried them though, just going on tiny tester on my hand.

I completely agree with YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat. It is my favourite foundation so far. LOVE it! It is very lightweight. The coverage is low but it is very buildable. It feels like nothing. Colour selection is very good. I'm very acne prone and had no problems with it. The packaging is lovely. The finish is very natural. It looks like your own skin but better. In short, it is all very very good :)

• Advertisement

Do you mean the YSL pen foundation/concealer/highlighter thing with brush at end of it?

Do you mean the YSL pen foundation/concealer/highlighter thing with brush at end of it?

Its a foundation similar to the formula/idea behind the pen but its just like a normal foundation in a cute glass bottle!

Tasden wrote: »
    Its a foundation similar to the formula/idea behind the pen but its just like a normal foundation in a cute glass bottle!

You can take a look here:

http://www.feelunique.com/p/Yves-Saint-Laurent-Le-Teint-Touche-Eclat-Foundation-30ml

Oh and get your shade matched by one of the assistants because she picked one out for me that looked much darker than what I'd usually go for and I was a little wary but once applied it was perfect! If I went paler I think it'd be too pale which I can never say about other brands apart from illamasqua! They also have three different undertones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Warning about the YSL foundation- it doesn't seem to agree with dry skin. I read all the reviews, got a sample before buying, and it looked great the first few times. But over time my skin really started to hate it and no matter how moisturised and perfect my skin was, it just kept showing up patches that didn't exist beforehand. I also found it difficult to work with a powder. I was gutted because I really loved the shade- and the expense. It might just be me, but do check it out first- a few times if possible- if your skin is dry.

Had the makeover and my conclusion is the same as ever- Mac is the best place for eye make up but not foundations. They used their Mineral foundation on me which was nice but that was after it was buffed with powder, bronzer, etc. and it's not one I can use every day. I asked about the Face and Body one but it's too runny for my skin.

Thanks everyone for your tips!

Advertisement