Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Meteor... Best provider?

Options
  • 09-01-2013 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of switching my iPhone network provider from Meteor to another network for better value.

At the moment I'm topping up 20 each month, and getting free texts to any network, something I love and use an awful lot. I'm not much of a talker in the phone but if have a few during the week, especially on nights out with mates. Then there's the Internet, being an iPhone, in on Facebook, twitter, YouTube, the web, apps, spotify, etc... All day nearly, and at the min, I think it's something like 79c per 24 hours with Meteor and extra charges over 1gb or something like that.

Basically, I hear mates saying they top up 20 quid and get free unlimited Internet, free texts etc.. And all this and they're delighted... Just wondering what I should be looking at to get the most out of my free texts and hopefully free unlimited Internet.

Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Three's Pay as you Go. Clearly the best tariff out there, for all types.

€20
    Unlimited texts, data, weekend calls, Skype and the like.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Try 3. For €20 a month you get free 3 to 3 calls, all you can eat data, free texts to all networks, free 3 to 3 calls, free calls to any network at the weekend and free skype if your phone is a skype enabled one. Get in touch with a rep on here and they might post on a sim to check coverage in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Three's Pay as you Go. Clearly the best tariff out there, for all types.

€20
    Unlimited texts, data, weekend calls, Skype and the like.

Job done.

Really? So basically I top up 20 bills and I've 'unlimited' Internet for a month (?) and free texts to any network?

Sounds too good to be true :o And are there many complaints about Three? Like I know you'll get them about any company, but any particular issues I should be wary of... Ie. hidden charges, adverts, coverage, quality when abroad (Im in the UK a little bit too)

Thanks

I'm a little put off by this... Is it just a case if you get what you pay for, because I don't have a problem with Meteor's speeds... Just costs...

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056850139?page=1#post_82581532

The Three forum is full of whinging, as are all the mobile forums, if you look.
    Where are you living, and where will you mostly be? I'll run a check for you regarding coverage.

• Advertisement

The Three forum is full of whinging, as are all the mobile forums, if you look.
    Where are you living, and where will you mostly be? I'll run a check for you regarding coverage.

Dun Laoghaire area... Mainly be there, and in the city...

And do you know what Three are like if I was abroad, be it as close as the UK or as far as Spain for example?

Thanks for the help

Keano! wrote: »
    I'm a little put off by this... Is it just a case if you get what you pay for, because I don't have a problem with Meteor's speeds... Just costs...

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056850139?page=1#post_82581532
    I get what you're trying to say but as you said you can get that with any company. Get a sim anyway and see for yourself.

Firstly, grab a SIM Card to test out coverage: http://www.three.ie/online/shop/DeviceListing.aspx?tf=Contract&p=voice&manuf=Three (Free)

Secondly, Dun Laoghaire is well covered. You've got excellent 3G/H coverage and perfect talk and text coverage.
    Even if you hit a black spot you are automatically roamed on Vodafone at no cost, so you're never out of contact.
    (http://www.three.ie/products_services/coverage/index.html - coverage checker)

As for roaming, if you're in a country that Three also exists in, you can use your phone like you were at home. For example, you can use your mobile internet, receive calls and texts as normal without charge. You only pay for outgoing calls and texts if not in your bundle. 3 Pay covers all these so you're grand.

http://apps.three.ie/roaming/pages/display/three-like-home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Look up tesco mobile they are doing a deal at €35 all calls all texts and net

Look up tesco mobile they are doing a deal at €35 all calls all texts and net

Okay, thanks guys. I'm gonna have a go at Three because the free Internet is just important to me at the moment a d the free texts are vital :o

One final thing, can I pop into a Carphone Warehouse tomorrow and leave with the network changed and ready to go? Just wondering coz there's one beside me at work so could be handier... And one more final final thing, I take it there's no issues with me both keeping my current 085 number, and should I wish to, revert back to meteor with no problems??

:)

• Advertisement

Okay, thanks guys. I'm gonna have a go at Three because the free Internet is just important to me at the moment a d the free texts are vital :o

One final thing, can I pop into a Carphone Warehouse tomorrow and leave with the network changed and ready to go? Just wondering coz there's one beside me at work so could be handier... And one more final final thing, I take it there's no issues with me both keeping my current 085 number, and should I wish to, revert back to meteor with no problems??

:)
    Here is the link to Tesco's deal can't get any better then that.
    Coverage is very good as they use o2 network.
    You can get a new number or keep existing.
    All calls and texts to all networks and 15gb internet
    It's only a 30 day contract so not stuck for the year also.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/half-price-unlimited-promotion.aspx

1. Your number is yours and yours to keep (essentially) unless you run up a bill, do something bold, or break the law. A network must release it if requested by you. For example, you are on Meteor and want to move to Three, and you ask, Meteor must supply the number to Three to add to your account. There is no issue there.

2. Pop into the shop as early as possible, get registered and ask to 'transfer your number'.
    You get a Sim Card and top up €20. Don't change the old one. Say you're on Meteor, you will be until the number has transferred. Suddenly, at some point, your Sim Card (Meteor) will stop working. Now, at this point, change to the Three Sim Card. Your number is now routed to the new network and Sim Card and you're fully away from Meteor.

People have made comments in the past about transferring taking ages, hence I said go early: I moved from Meteor at 9:20 one morning to Three. My phone stopped working around 11am and I was moved. That was less than 2 hours. The earlier, the better, IMO.

1. Your number is yours and yours to keep (essentially) unless you run up a bill, do something bold, or break the law. A network must release it if requested by you. For example, you are on Meteor and want to move to Three, and you ask, Meteor must supply the number to Three to add to your account. There is no issue there.

2. Pop into the shop as early as possible, get registered and ask to 'transfer your number'.
    You get a Sim Card and top up €20. Don't change the old one. Say you're on Meteor, you will be until the number has transferred. Suddenly, at some point, your Sim Card (Meteor) will stop working. Now, at this point, change to the Three Sim Card. Your number is now routed to the new network and Sim Card and you're fully away from Meteor.

People have made comments in the past about transferring taking ages, hence I said go early: I moved from Meteor at 9:20 one morning to Three. My phone stopped working around 11am and I was moved. That was less than 2 hours. The earlier, the better, IMO.

Sweet, thanks for all the help. I'll get on it ASAP tomorrow now.

I'll report back with my results. :)

On experience found the meteor and 3 network not great when outside Dublin I understand they have improved but the o2 network is 1 of the best as the Guards use them for their radio network.

Best of luck.

Quick update.... got all changed today and it was pretty swift. Changeover of the network was within 30 minutes so great stuff there....

Only issue... all my fault... completely forgot that the iPhone wasn't unlocked so I've had to get onto Apple to get an unlock code and it's between 10-14 days till they send me it so I've no phone for that long.... :(

Ugh.... well, hopefully it's all gonna be worth it with Three

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Zuko123

Forget going to apple,if your in Dublin go to one of the Chinese mobile shops,they will unlock it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Zuko123 wrote: »
    Forget going to apple,if your in Dublin go to one of the Chinese mobile shops,they will unlock it there and then.

You can't unlock an iPhone properly that's locked to an Irish network, op would be wasting his money in china town. He's best wait for the proper code but seen as he's with meteor that could take a long time.

Meteor just general c**** when it comes to this?

Poor service, can't wait to get away from them.

Meteor just general c**** when it comes to this?

Poor service, can't wait to get away from them.
    Get onto the Meteor reps on here and see if they can help.

Have, and they've been nothing short of 'useless' for want of a better phrase...

Sort of reasons I'm more intent on getting away now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement