Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should people be allowed to receive the dole???

Options
  • 09-01-2013 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

how long is too long? Why am I paying for people's dole and swanky apartments? A new generation of takers is growing. . . . sick of it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Those are some deep pockets you have!I could'nt imagine having to stump up 450,000 dole payments a week .how do you do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

cheboludo wrote: »
    how long is too long? Why am I paying for people's dole and swanky apartments? A new generation of takers is growing. . . . sick of it.

About tree hundred and fiddy years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it should be a sliding scale of benefits and should depend on how long you have been work (with minimum limits) - similar to Germany iirc

first 6 months - x% of former salary
    next 3 months - y%
    next three - subsistence payment
    after that - none without meeting criteria (ie proof of searching and applying for jobs continually or taking a training course etc)

Sadly OP your post won't meet the standard and the discussion will end, you may want to flesh it out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cheboludo

I'm on 2/3 day week at the moment but I'm not going cap in hand to the welfare office. Sick of seeing people collect their welfare in their Pjs. SO the questions is how long is fair? 6 months? 1 year?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

I'm on 2/3 day week at the moment but I'm not going cap in hand to the welfare office. Sick of seeing people collect their welfare in their Pjs. SO the questions is how long is fair? 6 months? 1 year?[/QUOT Hope you lose your job and find out urself how long is fair and maybe then u will come of ur high horse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'd say 3 years tops. Anything after that is a joke in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cheboludo

Don't own a horse. If I lose my job I'll find another,... like I have done in the past. Might set up a stall selling Pjs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Was on it for two years. Thanks op. xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

as long as they need it duh

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sanna

I was on it for about a year all in over 2 temping where possible then got told that was my lot no more dole despite looking and temping where possible, my fiance is on a three day wk an he got a yr before same being said to him apparently him on a three day wk and getting the money for other 2 from dole was enough to keep the two of us, we had approx €410 a wk to pay rent, feed us and pay bills etc

• Advertisement

You should be allowed to get it for life, but you should always be making substantial efforts to find a job. Your means should be assessed once a year and your rate modified to ensure you're not getting too much or too little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

You get one year on JB(if you paid your stamps) then you are means tested whilst on JA, right?

Personally, I prefer the French approach.

1st year unemployed - 75% of your previous wage.

2nd - 50%

3rd - 25%

4th - Hello food stamps.

Its wrong that a lad who has worked all his life and whom lost his job through no fault of his own receives the same dole as some clown whom has never broken into a sweat in his natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 iratira

There's a difference between people who worked and had prsi paid and those who didn't. Job seekers benefit vs job seekers allowance. They should be treated differently. I think the payments are the same which doesn't seem right.
    Which people do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

I agree with you OP. Among the genuine people on the dole there is an underclass that are happy to stay there and reap the fringe benefits. Usually these people would have contributed little or no income tax but yet feel entitled to welfare over long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

This is not a good quality thread opening post - it encourages snappy one-liner comebacks and whinges, as can be seen from the thread.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement