Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I tell you who I am ... Can you tell me where I should live (in Dublin)???

Options
  • 09-01-2013 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

I have a dilema... I am a French girl (waaiiit... keep on reading, no one's perfect!!). I'm a single professional in my early 30's, moving to Dublin mid-March.

1-I've been living in London (Shoreditch/Brick Lane area) for the past 1,5 year. And previously lived in the US for 6 years (mostly NYC...), fan of Williamsburg, Brooklyn (for those who know the spot)...

2-I'm more of a 'mixed crowd' type of girl... and like to socialize with people from all over the globe...

3-Music is my thing ... Rock, Blues, Neo Soul, Cuban Jazz, Old School Rap, Metal...The Doors, The Roots, Hendrix, Marvin Gay, Metallica, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, Dolly Parton... ect...ect

4-I would like to live (flat/house share) in an area that would speak to me... Young crowd, popular area (Bar, Pub, Parks ...), convenient, pretty central and affordable....
    :confused:WHERE SHOULD I LIVE??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hi

phibsboro is a popular area with young studenty types, as is drumcondra, rathmines, ranelagh and glasnevin
    all them areas are safe and close to the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Smithfield is Dublin's Williamsburg minus the Hasidic Jews.

It has three of the best pubs in Dublin
    1. The Cobblestone ( Irish traditional music almost every night )
    2. Frank Ryans ( Walls are covered with pictures of great blues rock musicians and they have a live band every now and again )
    3. The Dice Bar - Probably the only place in Dublin where you are likely to get your Cuban Jazz.

You're only a short walk from Fibbers Rock bar on the quays. I've never been there as I prefer my rock a bit more bluesy and a little less heavy.

Smithfield also has the Lighthouse Cinema, an art house cinema which shows Irish and International films.

It's only a 15 minute walk from the city centre but there's a Luas stop too if you don't fancy walking.

Finally, Phoenix park is only a short walk away.

Stoneybatter, which is pretty much an extension of Smithfield is apparently the best place to live in Ireland. See here

I've been living in Smithfield for three years now and have become a total hipster. You'll fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭LostPassword

Stoneybatter by far. Dublin's Hipster ghetto.

Second place is Portobello.

Nowhere else really figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

In my opinion, suburbs on the south of the city tend to be a lot more fun and nicer to live in than suburbs on the North side (sorry for any offence to North siders, but having spent years on both sides of the liffey, I would be shocked if anyone who has done the same didn't call that one a no brainer!!)

I would recommend around the Dublin 6 area. Rathmines, Ranelagh, Portobello - generally young population with a great social aspect in the areas and very good public transport (LUAS tram system and Dublin Bus).

Second off, I would say around the Dublin 2 / 4 area, around Baggot Street, Ballsbridge, Sandymount, Donnybrook are all very nice areas to live. (again, great social activities and superb nighlife, and also great public transport with DART Dublin rail and Dublin Bus)

Best bet is to search www.daft.ie and to look around Dublin 6, Dublin 2 and Dublin 4 (in that order) for something suitable.

There's nothing wrong with North Side areas per se, such as Drumcondra, Phibsboro, Clontarf etc., but personally, for similar price you can rent in much nicer areas in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

[Jackass] wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with North Side areas per se, such as Drumcondra, Phibsboro, Clontarf etc., but personally, for similar price you can rent in much nicer areas in the city.

Imo you have that the wrong way around; €1,000 pm in Drumcondra/Phibsboro/Clontarf will go way further than €1,000 in D2/4/6.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

We should totally get some of those guys in. They're deadly.

Stoneybatter in Dublin 7 is the one for you I'd say OP. If you can find a nice place there I'd take it. It's got lots of artists/musicians/filmmakers living there. Nice pubs, restaurants, coffee shops etc. but rents are lower there than similar places in Ranelagh etc.

You can walk to the city centre in about 20/25 minutes and it's near The Dice Bar which from your list of music I would say you'll love.

It's more Bushwick than Williamsburg i.e. the rents are still a bit lower because it hasn't become 'officially' cool yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Stoneybatters cool now! i must keep on trend :)

Sounds right what you are looking for OP tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Stoneybatter is the place to be. Mulligans pub is an awesome spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It has three of the best pubs in Dublin
    1. The Cobblestone ( Irish traditional music almost every night )
    2. Frank Ryans ( Walls are covered with pictures of great blues rock musicians and they have a live band every now and again )
    3. The Dice Bar - Probably the only place in Dublin where you are likely to get your Cuban Jazz.

You're only a short walk from Fibbers Rock bar on the quays. I've never been there as I prefer my rock a bit more bluesy and a little less heavy.

Smithfield also has the Lighthouse Cinema, an art house cinema which shows Irish and International films.

It's only a 15 minute walk from the city centre but there's a Luas stop too if you don't fancy walking.

Finally, Phoenix park is only a short walk away.

Stoneybatter, which is pretty much an extension of Smithfield is apparently the best place to live in Ireland. See here

I've been living in Smithfield for three years now and have become a total hipster. You'll fit right in.

Sadly Fibbers rock bar has closed.

In terms of where to live, Dublin 7 or 8 sound like they'll suit you OP. Both would have reasonably rental prices, pretty much equidistant from the city center and the parks to the west and would have some lively pubs on your door.

Basically you should be looking for a spot somewhere on this map:
    1LyWg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Swords is a good option too.
    Young crowd.
    Plenty of pubs,clubs.
    Shopping center, cinema, plenty of shops.

and best of all only a 20 - 30 min trip into the city center, with plenty pf bus stops around the estates and in the village.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

In my opinion, suburbs on the south of the city tend to be a lot more fun and nicer to live in than suburbs on the North side (sorry for any offence to North siders, but having spent years on both sides of the liffey, I would be shocked if anyone who has done the same didn't call that one a no brainer!!)

I would recommend around the Dublin 6 area. Rathmines, Ranelagh, Portobello - generally young population with a great social aspect in the areas and very good public transport (LUAS tram system and Dublin Bus).

Second off, I would say around the Dublin 2 / 4 area, around Baggot Street, Ballsbridge, Sandymount, Donnybrook are all very nice areas to live. (again, great social activities and superb nighlife, and also great public transport with DART Dublin rail and Dublin Bus)

Best bet is to search www.daft.ie and to look around Dublin 6, Dublin 2 and Dublin 4 (in that order) for something suitable.

very bad advice for the op. there is no difference between the north and south of the city. you need to remember that there are just as many if not more rough areas south of the liffey.
    there is value to be had by renting on the north of the city and the areas mentioned so far are ideal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

Don't think it'd suit the OP's requirements. Sounds like she'd want to live as close to the city as she feasibly can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

very bad advice for the op. there is no difference between the north and south of the city. you need to remember that there are just as many if not more rough areas south of the liffey.
    there is value to be had by renting on the north of the city and the areas mentioned so far are ideal

In your opinion maybe. It's nothing to do with "rough" areas, I'm pretty sure I said there's nothing wrong with those areas mentioned, but I just stressed that from personal experience, living in the ones I mentioned are far nicer - by that I mean public transport, proximity and ease of access to the city, quality of the areas in terms of villages and local amenities such as pubs and nightlife, walking distance to "trendy" spots mostly around the Dublin 2 area of town, close to things like Merrion Square, St. Stephens Green, leafy southside suburbs and nice walks along the canal (dont try and tell me that around the royal canal compares to how nice it is around the grand canal, which is virtually in town as it is and surrounded by nice park ways and great pubs etc. vs the grey scale drumcondra and phibsborugh walks - in my opinion, it's an uglier, less well kept part of the city in comparison - nothing personal, but I'd find anyone with an unbiased opinion would find it difficult to argue with...)

The only area I can't argue with is Stoneybatter because I've never lived in or around it and haven't spent much time there, so I wont knock that, but not to drag this into a North side / South side pissing contest, I would be surprised if most people didn't agree that those south side suburbs are just nicer places to live than the north side counterparts. For no other reason than they're just nicer areas imo...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Young crowd.
    Plenty of pubs,clubs.
    Shopping center, cinema, plenty of shops.

and best of all only a 20 - 30 min trip into the city center, with plenty pf bus stops around the estates and in the village.
    Not for the OP Swords is suburbia central compared to the likes of the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

In your opinion maybe. It's nothing to do with "rough" areas, I'm pretty sure I said there's nothing wrong with those areas mentioned, but I just stressed that from personal experience, living in the ones I mentioned are far nicer - by that I mean public transport, proximity and ease of access to the city, quality of the areas in terms of villages and local amenities such as pubs and nightlife, walking distance to "trendy" spots mostly around the Dublin 2 area of town, close to things like Merrion Square, St. Stephens Green, leafy southside suburbs and nice walks along the canal (dont try and tell me that around the royal canal compares to how nice it is around the grand canal, which is virtually in town as it is and surrounded by nice park ways and great pubs etc. vs the grey scale drumcondra and phibsborugh walks - in my opinion, it's an uglier, less well kept part of the city in comparison - nothing personal, but I'd find anyone with an unbiased opinion would find it difficult to argue with...)

The only area I can't argue with is Stoneybatter because I've never lived in or around it and haven't spent much time there, so I wont knock that, but not to drag this into a North side / South side pissing contest, I would be surprised if most people didn't agree that those south side suburbs are just nicer places to live than the north side counterparts. For no other reason than they're just nicer areas imo...

The thing with that is that you're more than likely to be paying a premium on the postcode. Now if you can afford to do that no hassle, but if you want to save a few bob on the rent, don't be spending more to live in a more 'prestigious' part of town.

While I agree that it is true in general that the nicer southside suburbs are nicer than those on the northside, if you understand where the OP is coming from, then that's not what she is looking for. Shoreditch / Williamsburg are the world centers of hipsterdom. She is not looking for leafy - quite the opposite. The only area in Dublin that comes close to them is Stoneybatter / Smithfield - nowadays it's all artists / media types / hip young things / artisinal shops. The only area on the Southside that is somewhat similar is Portobello but it's more expensive by a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Actually, there is a lot to be said for Grand Canal Dock. Fabulous waterside location, millions of apartments, 10 mins walk from College Green, heaps of stuff going on.

Can't believe anyone said Swords. Dear oh dear. Not bad if you fly a lot but that's about it.

In any case, can OP tell us where she will be working? Commutes are always an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Maybe if you read the OP and actually understood it you would realise she's not looking for the "nicest" place she's looking for a hipster place with a sense of community, there's a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Stoneybatter is so 2007; Blackpitts is where it's at these days baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stoneybatter is poncetastic and thus ideal, could'nt swing a pair of Koss portapro headphones around without clocking a hipster there.

• Advertisement

latenia wrote: »
    Stoneybatter is so 2007; Blackpitts is where it's at these days baby.

Hipster war!

Blackpitts is so, like, try-hard.

Put that in your corn-cob pipe and smoke it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I reckon Rathmines or Grand Canal Dock would be good spots for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Estaa.p

Thanks for this advise ... I'm not a poshy-brat... Like the old raw but not "rough" neighbourhood ....

I will be working in Dublin city center ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Estaa.p wrote: »
    I will be working in Dublin city center ...

All areas mentioned, have decent bus connections. Or you could get a bike, it only takes a few minutes :)

Thanks to you all ...
    I guess the unanimity is encouraging FIELDSMITH and STONEYBATTER or............................. PORTOBELLO, maybe??

Lars1916 wrote: »
    All areas mentioned, have decent bus connections. Or you could get a bike, it only takes a few minutes :)
    ...The bike is an excellent IDEA !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'd just be wary about someone who doesn't know Dublin being told to move to Stoneybatter/Smithfield/D8. There's obviously "cool" places to live there, but there's an awful lot of dodgy areas too - and how are they supposed to know which is which when they're looking for a place on the Interweb?

If it was me I'd recommend moving to somewhere like Rathmines at the start. That's not the coolest place in the world, but it's safe and lively with all the students - then once you know Dublin better, move to D8/D7 if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Estaa.p wrote: »
    ...The bike is an excellent IDEA !!

I know, am cycling myself. Living off Collins Avenue, it only takes me 20 minutes into town, which is the maximum with traffic congestions and all the stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

hmmm wrote: »
    I'd just be wary about someone who doesn't know Dublin being told to move to Stoneybatter/Smithfield/D8. There's obviously "cool" places to live there, but there's an awful lot of dodgy areas too - and how are they supposed to know which is which when they're looking for a place on the Interweb?

If it was me I'd recommend moving to somewhere like Rathmines at the start. That's not the coolest place in the world, but it's safe and lively with all the students - then once you know Dublin better, move to D8/D7 if you want.

There's nothing exceptionally dodgy about Smithfield or Stoneybatter compared to any other areas mentioned.

Advertisement