Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I tell you who I am ... Can you tell me where I should live (in Dublin)???

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Itelydefin Fieldsmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

hmmm wrote: »
    I'd just be wary about someone who doesn't know Dublin being told to move to Stoneybatter/Smithfield/D8. There's obviously "cool" places to live there, but there's an awful lot of dodgy areas too - and how are they supposed to know which is which when they're looking for a place on the Interweb?

If it was me I'd recommend moving to somewhere like Rathmines at the start. That's not the coolest place in the world, but it's safe and lively with all the students - then once you know Dublin better, move to D8/D7 if you want.

Well its unlikely they're going to go ahead and rent somewhere via the internet.
    Someone who has enough gumption to find this forum and post to it surely has enough cop on to view the property. They should be able to suss it out for themselves. Go there in the evening walk around the place see how you feel. Suss out the local shops/ pubs / cafes you can tell a lot by the state of them.
    Unless you move to a leafy suburb pretty much all areas of Dublin are mixed.
    Even if you reside in a leafy suburb chances are you will be in close proximity to a dodgy area / dodgy people at some point.

Also, dodgy covers a multitude - I've lived in Arbor Hill / Stoneybatter for 5 years and whilst I've seen a few unsavoury things have never been the victim of crime of any sort and never really felt unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Around Portobello would probably suit you, OP - it's a very diverse mix of people, with nice places to get coffee, eat and drink. Lots of music and art.
    It's also very safe for walking home from town - safer, in my opinion, than the walk home to Stoneybatter, nice as Stoneybatter itself is.
    I know lots of girls in their 30's who live in Portobello and work in town, and are in bands and into going to gigs, so I think it would suit you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just be careful of the notorious charlemont street flats that are in Portobello

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

hmmm wrote: »
    I'd just be wary about someone who doesn't know Dublin being told to move to Stoneybatter/Smithfield/D8. There's obviously "cool" places to live there, but there's an awful lot of dodgy areas too - and how are they supposed to know which is which when they're looking for a place on the Interweb?

If it was me I'd recommend moving to somewhere like Rathmines at the start. That's not the coolest place in the world, but it's safe and lively with all the students - then once you know Dublin better, move to D8/D7 if you want.

Quality of accommodation in Rathmines can be poor, she's older than most students (no offence, just a fact).

When I was early 30's the thoughts of living next door to, or with, a load of students would not be a plus.

The OP can come back on here and ask for further advice on specific streets - for Stoneybatter I'd recommend as near to the main street as possible and as far away from O'Devaney Gardens as possible. Mates of mine lived in Kirwan Street Cottages years ago and that was a nice spot (not sure what it's like now).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dub 7/8 def

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Estaa.p

Laneyh wrote: »
    Well its unlikely they're going to go ahead and rent somewhere via the internet.
    Someone who has enough gumption to find this forum and post to it surely has enough cop on to view the property. They should be able to suss it out for themselves. Go there in the evening walk around the place see how you feel. Suss out the local shops/ pubs / cafes you can tell a lot by the state of them.
    Unless you move to a leafy suburb pretty much all areas of Dublin are mixed.
    Even if you reside in a leafy suburb chances are you will be in close proximity to a dodgy area / dodgy people at some point.

Also, dodgy covers a multitude - I've lived in Arbor Hill / Stoneybatter for 5 years and whilst I've seen a few unsavoury things have never been the victim of crime of any sort and never really felt unsafe.
    After being robed at gun point in the streets of NYC at 8pm ... I will defo be prudent ...I intend go to back and forth between Dublin and London from February on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I actually wouldn't get too hung up on moving to any particular area; the centre of Dublin is very compact-pretty much everywhere between the canals would be suitable. People are going on about Stoneybatter but in truth there's not a whole lot going on there, it can be grim in places and it's quite a distance from the bulk of the pubs, clubs and restaurants you'll be going to.
    My own preference would be D8 east of Cork St and anywhere in D2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

"Anywhere between the canals" is a bit general, no? There's some of the swankiest apartments in the city (like Mount Street or around Grand Canal Dock) to charming middle class houses (around SCR/Portobello, or indeed Stoneybatter) to some of the dodgiest parts of the city (Dolphin's Barn, Monto). I wouldn't willy-nilly suggest moving into just anywhere in the city centre; I would get hung on particular areas, and so should the OP imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Aard wrote: »
    "Anywhere between the canals" is a bit general, no? There's some of the swankiest apartments in the city (like Mount Street or around Grand Canal Dock) to charming middle class houses (around SCR/Portobello, or indeed Stoneybatter) to some of the dodgiest parts of the city (Dolphin's Barn, Monto). I wouldn't willy-nilly suggest moving into just anywhere in the city centre; I would get hung on particular areas, and so should the OP imo.

Monto?
    Where's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

carolmon wrote: »
    Monto?
    Where's that?

More like, when's that

wikipedia.org/wiki/Monto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

It was demolished 90 years ago so there isn't much danger of the op ending up there; Foley St today is quite popular with young foreigners (as is Dolphin's Barn.) If a room or property is advertised on daft and is currently being rented by other young working people then it's probably in an acceptable location-if Anto from Basin St flats has decided to make a few quid renting out his spare room then I'm sure our friend has enough cop on to turn it down. You're never more than a few hundred yards from rough public housing no matter where you go, so there's not a huge difference in safety from one part of the centre to another. The only place I'd rule out completely is the depths of Summerhill/Ballybough.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

i know the old monto, just haven't heard it used anytime in recent years, was wondering if there was another area where the name was being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

latenia wrote: »
    People are going on about Stoneybatter but in truth there's not a whole lot going on there, it can be grim in places and it's quite a distance from the bulk of the pubs, clubs and restaurants you'll be going to.

I dunno about that. In Stoneybatter/Smithfield you have: vintage markets, arthouse cinema, music venue/arts venue (the joinery), arts workshops, yoga, community days like the Sitric Picnic, a great deli/coffee shop (Lilliput), one of the best pubs in Dublin (Mulligan's) added to that it's only 20/25 minutes walk to the city centre and the fact that living there she's more likely to be sharing/in close proximity to likeminded arty type folks I'd say it's got a lot going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

the docks, swanky apartments, very close to town, option of the luas, funky weekend market outside the 02, 30 mins from airport, lit up, professionals and students, looks pretty funky these days, if i had the money i'd live there too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sadderday wrote: »
    the docks, swanky apartments, very close to town, option of the luas, funky weekend market outside the 02, 30 mins from airport, lit up, professionals and students, looks pretty funky these days, if i had the money i'd live there too

yeah but it's not exactly "hipsterville" is it, which is what the OP is looking for - no matter how many google employees with their fixies and courier bags there are there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That weekend market at the O2 is a bit meh to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

carolmon wrote: »
    Monto?
    Where's that?
    Couldn't think of a more concise way of describing the area around Foley St, James Joyce St, Railway St, Gardiner St. Probably a little too anachronistic of me :pac:

---

Even though it's miles different today from the days of yesteryear, there's no doubt that it's still dodgy and not on par with other parts of the city "between the canals".

Advertisement