Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in canada / states

Options
  • 09-01-2013 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey ,my mate was telling me theres loads of labouring/construction work in canada .i would also consider forestry . he is 19 and has no qualifications . he is planning on going over this june . if i can get work im planning on going next summer (2014).
    i have worked on construction sites for a few years over here during the summers . i will be 18 when i plan on going ...what i want to know is :
    is it likely to get work in canada without qualifications? i know the cost of living is high over there but just want to get away for a year or two. dont mind if i save up or not aslong as i have a good time..

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tinkerspony

On the positive side there are a lot of construction job opportunities in Canada especially in Calgary. However I don't want to sound mean when I say this, but if you are looking for a good time perhaps 2 weeks in Santa Ponsa would grant you that. Canadian winters are tough...6 months of snow covered ground where temperatures can drop 30 degrees celcius in 12 hours and you would be lucky if it was as warm as -5 on a very good day. As a construction worker you are expected to work outside up to -25 c....sound like you could hack it? You could be out in it for 12 hours a day and working hard...I don't want to paint a pessimistic picture, just telling you what to expect. Sure you can go to Vancouver where it's not as cold..but work is not as plentyfull. Take a fools advice...don't expect a free dinner over here...but if you are willing to graft, you will be rewarded. All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tootyfruity

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Mate loads of work in Alberta it seems a lot of construction jobs paying 15-20 bucks an hour good money if your a single lad not supporting anyone. if you really want to make money you could get a job on an oil rig as a roughneck.. this work will either make or break you. really all you need is your hs2 alive ticket be able to work 12 hour days and pass a drug test. it was voted the 4th worst job of 2012 but the pay is pretty unreal. 6K every 2 weeks

I myself hope to get a job in Calgary as a labour. I am a redundant Irish apprentice waiting to do my skills test (test devolved by Fas and Fectec to help apprentices short a couple of months to make the 4 years) to allow me to get my papers but huge waiting list so iam going hit up Calgary first for a few months come back when i called to do it. hopefully pass it and get my trade cert and try to get into electrical . been chatting to martyn and tonto seem to be cool dudes and hopefully meet them for a few when i get over. Mate do your research first and have it least 4-5 K$ coming over with ya. and dont be ashamed to take any job. if i have to work in a coffee shop i will..If you have any questions post back here or give me a pm.

I would listen to tinkerpony i have worked in Norway and Finland when i was an apprentice and that was cold:o. if i was you i would look at Christchurch in New zealand. one of the main reasons i am going to Canada is i will have to come home for a month in sept 2013 to do this test and Canada is within easy access and it suits me more.but you should strongly look at Christchurch so much work there and much better weather.

All the best:)
    i would happily work as a roughneck , im a hard worker and dont mind getting dirty aslong as im paid for it! Would you reckon i would most likely get a job in it as soon as i go over?. im not a big fan of australia/new zealand to be honest . i have wanted to live in the states or canada for a long time as my hobby is strongly supported out there.i dont mind the cold aslong as im working and not sitting about. do you know is it easy to get visas to goto canada? anyways thanks alot for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Takes a while bud anthing from 4-12 weeks depending on when you apply for the visa it should be opening soon:)

Advertisement