Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sea-side garden design...

• 09-01-2013 6:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi guys im looking for some help designing outside my house which is located 100yrds from sea shore... Im lost for ideas of what will survive so close to sea with the sea spray..would love hedging but afraid this will be a waste of time as no neighbours have one.. with good reason im sure...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 winnie the poo

I couldnt see a native hedge having any problems with sea wind etc. The only problem I could see would be the soil. A lovely Idea I saw as a hedge before is a mix of native Hawthorn, native holly and Laurel all mixed together. Laurel is evergreen and robust so that gives greenery all year round andthe Hawthorn flowers in spring and the holly gives red berrys in winter. Both the hawthorn and holly are cheap too this time of year, you might get them bare-root from a nursery. The hawthorn grows quick too so need to be kept trim, other than that I think it's a smashing idea for a hedge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

For plant ideas see whats growing around your area, not just in other peoples gardens but around your area.
    Im pretty sure you can grow sea buckthorn as a hedge.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭rje66

rambojon wrote: »
    Hi guys im looking for some help designing outside my house which is located 100yrds from sea shore... Im lost for ideas of what will survive so close to sea with the sea spray..would love hedging but afraid this will be a waste of time as no neighbours have one.. with good reason im sure...
    Oleria xhaastii is good in mild areas as hedging. It might seem obvious but a seaside theme would be good. Lots of beach cobbles, gravel, some drift wood or lobster pots,net bouys and groups of grasses and other plants suitable. A walkway through sand made of timber. Get a wrecked timber rowing boat, repaint in pastel colours and place in suitable part of the garden. Use some old rope and reclaimed tetephone poles to create a feature. any of the above mixed with the correct plants would look great.

Remember "dont fight the site".

Hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

rambojon wrote: »

You should google Derek Jarman's garden in kent England, he created a garden on a shingle spit and the plants and design could be a good starting point for inspiration.

as for hedging I would suggest Phormium tenax, tough as old boots and I've seen it grow happily on the north sligo coast. good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭rje66

as for hedging I would suggest Phormium tenax, tough as old boots and I've seen it grow happily on the north sligo coast. good luck with it.
    Would agree.
    Its technically a grass but bullet proof near coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

NZ flax is tough stuff and the giant versions can make very effective windbreaks, remember to allow for the diameter increasing.
    Also don't discount Sea-Buckthorn, its hardy in sandy windblown conditions and produces fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

as for hedging I would suggest Phormium tenax, tough as old boots and I've seen it grow happily on the north sligo coast.

Agree 100% - just be sure its the "green" tenax -- and it will spread - so allow plenty of space. Once it gets up you can try lots of things -- but try for plants with grey leaves especially, as the salt doesnt seem to affect them so much. Hebes and all sorts of Australian/NZ plants should do well too. Patience will be a virtue - give the phormium time to establish - and you can also use other phormiums inside the boundary too -- many have beautiful red/white/yellow leaves and will add a splash of colour. A nice slow cycle/drive around the locality is invaluable too -- what grows for others will grow for you too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

hi again guys thanks so much for all the great ideas.. im plesently surprised that so much grows so near the sea.. and am baffled why neighbours havent much growing at all... 1 lady has a hedge all right living a bit away from me and has agreed to give me some slips.. she doesnt know the name of it but ill find out and post the name later....p.s thanks again rambojon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi Rambojon,

Depending on how exposed your site is (we are right on the water, garden is 200 feet long and we have our own strecth of shoreline) we are coastal but not too showered with salt spray.

What is your soil like? Do you have any soil?

We can grow most perrennials and roses with no trouble, we have lots of mature trees here too.

Take a look at future forests website in Cork, they have lists of plants and also in the hedging section you can see which are good for coastal exposure.

All the best.

M.

Advertisement