Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electrics died!

• 09-01-2013 9:14am

I know it could be a million and one things but lookin for a bit of advice anyway.
    Was out for a short spin last night,bout 4km.
    was just leaving to go home and I stuck on my indecator and the digital display started flickering so I knew something was up.1 minute later I've no dash and no lights.only about 1.5km from home.It was still running tho

It shouldn't be the battery.Its only 9 months old.And the bike is garaged.
    Rectifier possible??I should get 13/14v at the battery when running yeah?
    Its hardly the stater and the bike wouldn't run if it was melted.

I prob wont get a chance to look at it till Saturday so what do ya's reckon?
    Its a drz400 sm

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

fuse blown somewhere perhaps.

even check the battery connections aren't loose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

urbanledge wrote: »
    I know it could be a million and one things but lookin for a bit of advice anyway.
    Was out for a short spin last night,bout 4km.
    was just leaving to go home and I stuck on my indecator and the digital display started flickering so I knew something was up.1 minute later I've no dash and no lights.only about 1.5km from home.It was still running tho

It shouldn't be the battery.Its only 9 months old.And the bike is garaged.
    Rectifier possible??I should get 13/14v at the battery when running yeah?
    Its hardly the stater and the bike wouldn't run if it was melted.

I prob wont get a chance to look at it till Saturday so what do ya's reckon?
    Its a drz400 sm

Cheers

Try the connector block at the back of the head light take it apart and spray a bit of wd40 also same with the fuzes its probably just a bad connection:)

Dont think its a fuse,
    It all died out slowly.
    First the display started to dim when the indicator was on,
    the the display got realy weak and started flickering on and of and resting then it went off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

battery terminals tightened down ok? not unknown for them to vibrate loose on singles

I wont get a chance to look at it till friday,
    I'll check over the battery terminals too.
    Would the bike run if the battery was disconnected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I wont get a chance to look at it till friday,
    I'll check over the battery terminals too.
    Would the bike run if the battery was disconnected?

Nope.

I had a similar problem with my bandit before and it was the battery terminals had come loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

If it wa flickering before dying I wouls say a cable somewhere. Not necessarily loose, could be broken on inside. As you drove the cable moved cause flickering and eventually short-circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I would firstly check your battery voltage while the bike is off. If that seems ok I would then test it while the bike is running and ensure it is charging as the bike revs.

This is the start of the electrical system so its prob the first place you should start fault finding. Its also a fairly simple way to start of. shouldnt have to remove to many parts to get in at the battery terminals.

Its totally dead now,
    I made it home,swithced it off then it wa dead.
    the N light didnt even come on.
    Pain in the swiss!

It wasn't really a flicker,it was more of a fade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Its totally dead now,
    I made it home,swithced it off then it wa dead.
    the N light didnt even come on.
    Pain in the swiss!

It wasn't really a flicker,it was more of a fade

Check the fuses. If nothing at all is happening that's the smallest thing to fix. So just pull them and check. Same happened me a few months back on my varadero.

Will it bumpstart at all?

• Advertisement

Didnt get a chance to try start it since,
    I suppose its better than in intermittent problem to diagnose !

Advertisement