Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basset Hound Seperation Anxiety

• 09-01-2013 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Sorry if this topic has been done to death but was looking for some help.

We have a four year old basset hound who suffers from seperation anxiety. He isn't destructive in any way however the minute my OH leaves the room to make a cup of tea for example he is shivering and whining, even when I am still with him. At night he whinges and crys and paces the floor. Some nights he is fine, last night for example he had me awake until 4.30am. When we leave the house he does the same, shivers, whinge, barks etc We just don't know what to do, we have read books and looked for info on the web and tried putting it into practise and are a bit lost really. I know Bassets have a reputation for being stubborn so we are thinking a professional trainer might be able to help us, could anyone recommend a trainer or class?

We are also due a baby in April and I am terrified the new arrival will upset him even more. I hate to thing he is unhappy as it is but can only imagine a new baby will exaserbate his behaviour and as he was here first this isn't fair!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

My initial thought (untrained thought that is) would be that the dog (a basset, by far, has one of the strongest personalities I've ever encountered in a dog) is afraid your OH wont come back.

Have you tried taking it back to baby level, work on your OH leaving the room for 1 second, then running back to the dog, giving him rubs etc. then 2 seconds, then 5 seconds and eventually (over weeks) build up time and reassure the dog he'll be back!

Advertisement