Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic economics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I think road tax is the only issue here for any petrol head. Something really needs to be done to address this issue as the state is actually loosing out on revenue by being too greedy. A few diehards will pay the ludicrous roadtax anyway but if it were to be reduced or even if a weekend road tax were introduced like I mentioned on another thread it could be a sizable gain to revenue and a major boost to the sale of big cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Aye, tax kills it for me. I've recently bought a 3.5l car, which would have been simply out of reach financially for me had it been under 30 years old. Funny thing is the MPG isn't far off what I was getting in an old Beetle... doesn't make sense.

It's a real shame to see luxury cars around the 15-20 year mark selling for a little over scrap value here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

....the state is actually loosing out on revenue by being too greedy.

What's new in the Dept of Finance :p There are motorists who are actually willing to pay A FAIR SUM for things such as personal plates , bigger cars etc but some idiots in Revenue / Dept of Finance reckon that the taxpayer likes to be screwed ( when in the real world people just say 'Screw you' to the Revenue by selling the car, and (subsidised ) bussing it :D:D )

Imagine having a tax system that people actually Q'd up to pay into - a FAIR system that was transparent and people had a vote on, the Revenue would be over the moon - but it'll never happen here because too many at the top would lose their perks ( paid for by us at the bottom ! :mad: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

Questions ......

What is a fair road tax for a 1990 Mercedes 300SE that would only cover 4000 miles a year?

What is a fair road tax for a 1994 Mercedes E220 that would only cover 3000 miles a year? The Missus loves the car and uses it as her daily driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

w124man wrote: »
    Questions ......

What is a fair road tax for a 1990 Mercedes 300SE that would only cover 4000 miles a year?

What is a fair road tax for a 1994 Mercedes E220 that would only cover 3000 miles a year? The Missus loves the car and uses it as her daily driver.

As a high paying die hard, the answer to the above is: A fair tax is a tax based on use, as opposed to being based on ownership. Therefore, put the tax on the petrol. This way, everyone pays the appropriate and proportionate amount of road tax, no evasion, no dodging. Do low mileage, pay low tax, do high mileage, pay higher tax. And no need to pay out a lump sum every year/6 months/3 months.

The green lobby might rear up, but bigger cars would stay on the road, even as weekend drivers, raising extra revenue via the road tax that is lost on them at the moment, plus the existing tax on petrol, plus parts, repairs, employment to mechanics, insurance companies, revenue to NCT etc. etc.

It's a no brainer, but then, so is our government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

the state is actually loosing out on revenue by being too greedy

Aye. I'm not paying €2,000 motor tax. My classic is off the road. The government gets nothing. No excise on fuel, no VAT on fuel, services, parts and maintenance, no levy on insurance. ZERO revenue for state from me

They are shooting themselves in the foot here, I totally agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

unkel wrote: »
    Aye. I'm not paying €2,000 motor tax. My classic is off the road. The government gets nothing. No excise on fuel, no VAT on fuel, services, parts and maintenance, no levy on insurance. ZERO revenue for state from me

They are shooting themselves in the foot here, I totally agree with you.

Back in the day I had garage insurance, I'd get a bit of tax on cars and drive them for 3 mths etc. Then all this sh*t came down the tracks - Gardai seizing cars, proof of paying income taxes , insurance getting sticky. So now I just do the basic and govt gets very little. Multiply my situation x 1 million who wouldn't mind paying €500/year for reasonable tax = €500,000,000.
    IDIOTS run our Finance dept. :mad:

Advertisement