Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For people who depend on the weather/prefer milder weather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The best summers I remember , 1995, 2003, were preceded by very dry spring weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

20silkcut wrote: »
    The best summers I remember , 1995, 2003, were preceded by very dry spring weather.
    1995 was preceded by a very wet winter and early spring. Some areas got thunder snow on St Patrick's Day that year. It dried out in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

20silkcut wrote: »

2003 was OK, but I just remember it as predominantly overcast and muggy (in Dublin anyway). Dry though, which was nice. The UK got the warmth AND sun.

1995, now that was exceptional. :cool:

Gonzo wrote: »
    yeah the difference between the end of February and the end of March can be staggering, we came close to 21C ourselves late last March which sadly enough was nearly the warmest week of the year!

There was a January day in 2008 that reached 18C! :eek: I remember because I was in hospital then and remember receiving a text in my hospital bed from my Dad informing me of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

2003 was OK, but I just remember it as predominantly overcast and muggy (in Dublin anyway). Dry though, which was nice. The UK got the warmth AND sun.

1995, now that was exceptional. :cool:
    Yes, '95 was last long hot summer.
    '03 saw a heatwave in August and '06 had a July heatwave, the rest of those two summers were unexceptional.

• Advertisement

'03 saw a heatwave in August and '06 had a July heatwave, the rest of those two summers were unexceptional.

I remember the '06 heatwave, that was great.

But I remember being disappointed about the August '03 cloud cover. My parents were holidaying in the UK at the time and I remember being very envious, as they were getting sun. It was very warm here though. I remember one day it being 29C with cloud cover. It was not particularly pleasant. It was like that kind of cloud where it's like haze, like when you wake up on a summer's day that's promised sunny and it seems cloudy, but then the haze burns off quickly. Except in this instance it didn't burn off. :-(

The only other decent spell of warm to hot weather we've had since July 2006 was, bizarrely, APRIL of '07. A beautiful month and exceptionally warm for the time of year.

The summers since '06 have been dire. You know, if I could decide on Ireland's summer weather, I WOULD actually allow for some rain, maybe a rainy day a week, to prevent drought conditions. I don't hate rain. I just wish we got a lot less of it, rather than none. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ffs. All week there has been cloud. Even at 1 am tonight there was cloud but now its 5:30 am and clear skies and the place is frozen solid.

Fupp my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Gonzo wrote: »
    yeah the difference between the end of February and the end of March can be staggering, we came close to 21C ourselves late last March which sadly enough was nearly the warmest week of the year!

Yeah last week of March last year was exceptional in Dublin as was the whole of March 2011 however my heart always sinks (in recent years) when we have weeks like that in March and April as the summer that follows is tragic. Lets hope for a miserable March this year and maybe just maybe that elusive hot summer will follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Glorious out there, wall to wall sun, no wind to speak of. Not warm obviously but if you stand behind a glass panel that faces south....! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, not warm outside, and unlikely to be seasonably mild for at least another week to 10 days. Very bad news for those who depend, or indeed prefer, milder weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No, not warm outside, and unlikely to be seasonably mild for at least another week to 10 days. Very bad news for those who depend, or indeed prefer, milder weather.

Ah come on lovely benign weather like this, with sunshine and drying in February is 'very bad news'. Drama like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Ah come on lovely benign weather like this, with sunshine and drying in February is 'very bad news'. Drama like

We had it dry last year in this period but it was much warmer.
    The mean temperature for the last seven days 19th to 25th February this year is 2.3C compared to 8.0C for 2012. So about 5.7C colder in mean temperature this year.

Won't be much grass growing with this weather and the need for this early grass stems from the bad summer of 2012.

I was watching ITN News last night and they had a little feature which looked back on this week last year and compared it with 2013, huge difference but the view of the horticulturist they spoke to was that this February was how it should be. When the last frost passes it'll almost certainly be mild thereafter was his view and the growth will be much stronger and longer lasting. Last Spring it was a false start and growth was poor enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

mike65 wrote: »
    I was watching ITN News last night and they had a little feature which looked back on this week last year and compared it with 2013, huge difference but the view of the horticulturist they spoke to was that this February was how it should be. When the last frost passes it'll almost certainly be mild thereafter was his view and the growth will be much stronger and longer lasting. Last Spring it was a false start and growth was poor enough.

That is true, April and a lot of May was cold.

Hope he is right.

Time to give this a bump with this hugely speculative pressure chart :)

ayo6is.png

and temp map

5x0wif.png

I did say highly speculative :( Nothing remotely like it now as far as the charts can "see". In fact I'm beginning to wonder when we will see any mild (proper mild) weather.

Here's hoping it comes in a sudden blast and never leaves us all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

MTC in a mild weather thread? Now we've seen everything.

I believe it will turn a lot warmer just around Easter (which is 31 March as I'm sure you know).

Not much hope before the 25th from the current charts, but this won't go on forever, there is often a 60-day oscillation in temperature so let's see, end of March, end of May, end of July etc ... that might work out okay if the peaks get longer and longer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Around this time last year, daytime temps of 19º were recorded. We all know what sort of summer followed.
    On the same day this year, it barely rose above freezing - a sign that a better summer might be on the cards?

slowburner wrote: »
    Around this time last year, daytime temps of 19º were recorded. We all know what sort of summer followed.
    On the same day this year, it barely rose above freezing - a sign that a better summer might be on the cards?

A nice thought but I doubt it! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

slowburner wrote: »
    Around this time last year, daytime temps of 19º were recorded.

On the 19th of March 2012....to be precise. :)

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    On the 19th of March 2012....to be precise. :)

Today is the 19th March 2013, the ECM is showing the possibility of it being even colder in 7 days time, the 26th March, days after the spring equinox. At 6am I cycled 5 miles to work into falling snow/graupel mix. I've had enough, please please please weather gods lift this cold off us. I can no longer bear it. Half assed snow/graupel/sleet, barely any sunshine, no hint of sap rising or things coming into bloom.

BRING ON MILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair the growth is apparent down here in the Deise, but nothing too expansive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

MTC in a mild weather thread? Now we've seen everything.

I believe it will turn a lot warmer just around Easter (which is 31 March as I'm sure you know).

Not much hope before the 25th from the current charts, but this won't go on forever, there is often a 60-day oscillation in temperature so let's see, end of March, end of May, end of July etc ... that might work out okay if the peaks get longer and longer.

What the feck? :eek:

Are you lost man??

Get the hell out of here...:D

Another disgusting unnatural morning in Dublin. My deepest core hungers for spring warmth and release from this never-ending misery of a late winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The only positive is that i park the car facing the sunrise so the ice on the windscreen is melted when im going to work. I suppose i'll even lose this when the clocks go forward :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Another disgusting unnatural morning in Dublin. My deepest core hungers for spring warmth and release from this never-ending misery of a late winter.

Me too. 6 months in a winter coat and thermals (I did wash them too tho :eek:) is wrecking my head at this stage. It's just not good. Don't feel any energy whatsoever, normally running 5 times a week by this stage of "spring", not venturing outside the door after work these days, it's sheeee-ite.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I can see the summer veggies in my garden being delayed by about a month at this stage. This half arsed, too late, cold spell can bugger off now please!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Perhaps it is time to look for upgrades in Cold weather, that will surly jinx it :D tease the warm weather out of the Azores.

Glorious afternoon in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mike65 wrote: »
    Glorious afternoon in Waterford.

It is Mike, if we ever hit the 10c mark again it'll be ice creams all round!

Advertisement