Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For people who depend on the weather/prefer milder weather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

NIMAN wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, you would actually hope that we get extremes of weather that have crippled NI at present, Thats left pensioners stranded in the homes needing helicopters to bring them food, or for an estimated 10,000 farm animals to die, buried in snow?

OR perhaps you like the idea of peoples homes being ruined by floods, their life totally disrupted? That they can no longer get insured and may well lose everything if they flood again? That people like that Garda may lose their lives trying to save people in these floods?

I'll say it again, I don't understand. Would you be a willing to have these extremes if you were directly affected? Somehow, don't think so.

Sorry! but post reminds me of one of Catherine Tate's fundraisers

Hope I don't get a yellow card:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭jirafa

20121205-010840.jpg

kscn1940l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Arrggghhh!!! The Met Eireann are now saying this cold will be here on Monday and our own MT and the BBC say will last another week(UK) in April at least. I was looking forward to the previously predicted mild for Monday April 1st but my hopes have been dashed :mad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#outlook
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Its like a mini Ice Age!! :mad:
    MT wrote:
    very slow moderation possibly getting back somewhere close to normal (by then 11-13 C) daytime temperatures by about the second week of April.
    Met IE wrote:
    Present indications, while uncertain are for the mostly dry cold weather to continue for Easter Monday also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ashleyhere

After watching UTV news now and seeing grown men break down over the weather conditions and how it has led them to make the decision to give up their livelihood as they can't cope with devastating losses of their stock and the toll on their health.

When the thaw comes, the amount of dead animals that will be found will be heartbreaking.

How anyone gets excited about looking forward to huge falls of snow, I'll never understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Surely you are not suggesting that those who like snow are sadists or something?
    People can like dogs and at the same time dogs can savagely kill sheep. Please don't take things out of context and try to create a moral dilemma and try to make some sorry they enjoy snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ashleyhere

Joe Public wrote: »
    Surely you are not suggesting that those who like snow are sadists or something?
    People can like dogs and at the same time dogs can savagely kill sheep. Please don't take things out of context and try to create a moral dilemma and try to make some sorry they enjoy snow.

Been in that situation situation unfortunatley, when I was young we had to be dug out by the council. Not pleasant to see your mother checking the cupboards to see how much food is there to keep the family fed until you could get out to stock up and ration water when pipes have frozen. I have nothing against people liking snow but to some people its something to dread and I'm one of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ashleyhere wrote: »
    After watching UTV news now and seeing grown men break down over the weather conditions and how it has led them to make the decision to give up their livelihood as they can't cope with devastating losses of their stock and the toll on their health.

When the thaw comes, the amount of dead animals that will be found will be heartbreaking.

How anyone gets excited about looking forward to huge falls of snow, I'll never understand.

What baffles me most about this ,

This was well forecasted , why didn't they move them into shelter ,

Its sad but could of been avoidable for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

What baffles me about this weather is in 2010 we got sent home after the Met Office put out a Red Warning for snow in Co. Derry & also Co. Tyrone, the weather was pretty damn bad back then, but after experiencing those conditions last Friday night I was surprised that the Met Office had only put out an amber warning.

The conditions last Friday night where 10 times worse than those that got the red warning in 2010.

Is there any particular reason as to why only Amber would have been issued and not a Red warning? Would streamers have anything to do this with this, because they can't be pin pointed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Finally somewhere on the weather forum I can say I HATE SNOW!!! without fear of upsetting the snow lovers.
    Where I live we get snow every winter usually quiet a lot and almost every adult I know here hates the stuff!
    Few hard winters in Ireland and most of the snow lovers would quickly change their tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Some sad stories up north. There will be a payout from Europe, similar to the payout for 2012s poor summer?

From my limited knowledge farming is a protected industry in Western Europe?

Not saying its a handy number and farmers are getting rich of this. But if the farmers are compensated, why are they packing in their livelyhood?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

The models are stubbornly continuing the cold theme, eating right into what is surely now genuine spring days that we won't get back. I cannot see a warm up in next 7 days, with easterly winds that will continue to feel bitterly cold yet not cold enough to bring snow.

I travel to work (cycling) every morning parallel to the liffey and the port and never in all my days can I remember such a prolonged period of time cycling into winds coming up the river.

This weather is an abomination, right people might have got a couple of cms of snow from it, but on balance it is not worth it, it is not worth having such grim prolonged miserable continental cold surpressing the spring time after several weeks of winter, just so you can skip about in a few snow showers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There have been a a number of cases where people had their animals indoors and the roofs gave away under the weight of snow killing animals, thankfully no humans when these roofs collapsed.
    There is also a fodder crisis.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/25/03/2013/138315/heavy-snow-sparks-animal-welfare-crisis.htm
    In Northern Ireland, Sinn Féin MLA Oliver McMullan said farmers in County Antrim had been unable to get to their farms due to roads blocked with snow.
    As a result, many have been unable to feed or check the welfare of animals during the busy lambing period.
    "As emergency services battle valiantly to restore power and services to the greatest number of affected people, those living in isolated and rural areas, particularly farmers, are abandoned and left to fend for themselves," said Mr McMullan.
    "The snow is simply too deep for even farming equipment to clear the minor roads. Animals are in distress because of lack of feed, farms buildings are collapsing."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Nabber wrote: »
    Some sad stories up north. There will be a payout from Europe, similar to the payout for 2012s poor summer?

Not saying its a handy number and farmers are getting rich of this. But if the farmers are compensated, why are they packing in their livelyhood?

There was no payout for the bad summer of 2012, they brought forward the normal payment date for the single farm premium, no farmer got extra money for the bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nabber wrote: »

Personally I am happy enough that farmers are subsidised, after all if it wasn't for them where would most of us get our food from?

I can only imagine the uproar if our food prices doubled or trebled as thousands of farmers packed it all in and went on the dole.

They are often an easy target for ridicule.

It's not the forum for this and I don't wanna start a row but nabber's ill informed post and then when i checked, location made me laugh and also made me kinda mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

NIMAN wrote: »
    Personally I am happy enough that farmers are subsidised, after all if it wasn't for them where would most of us get our food from?

I can only imagine the uproar if our food prices doubled or trebled as thousands of farmers packed it all in and went on the dole.

They are often an easy target for ridicule.

Yeah but food prices will double if we gat another summer like last year.
    Subsidies wont help as the price rise will be because of the biding war for a scarce commodity.
    Weather is still the major force in economics after war or banking misadventures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At the risk of it all backfiring the end is now edging into sight by the looks of it, with the blocking high slipping south next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

mike65 wrote: »
    At the risk of it all backfiring the end is now edging into sight by the looks of it, with the blocking high slipping south next weekend.

About time too..Thought We'd never see the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Another week of it :mad: I was walking home late tonight and that bitter Easterly breeze went through me, my ears were frozen! And this on the last day of March.

Last week they said it would end Easter Monday which is now postponed by a week, lets hope Spring will come! :)

I'm getting fed up seeing the "snowflake" symbol on the car dashboard every morning!
    If one of these mornings I don't see it I'll be wondering if the bulb is working... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Start of the trout season here today I usually take the day off, not this year waste of a holiday! Fek off cold. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Wow..That would be nice..

From what some people are saying,I think it will get to those temps,,and around that time too.
    It's just going to take a while to get there....Even M.E. are now saying the cold will start easing off from the weekend coming.

Fingers crossed.

It's so quiet in here...so I looked out the window, what? an almost spring like morning, though still chilly. That must be it so...

Winter, pack your fecking bags, you dirty stop out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

dopolahpec wrote: »
    It's so quiet in here...so I looked out the window, what? an almost spring like morning, though still chilly. That must be it so...

Winter, pack your fecking bags, you dirty stop out...

I would keep this weather any day, clear blue skies and beautiful sunshine, Looks like the monsoon season is going to kick in next weekend. can't understand why some people are wishing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

couldn't agree more musicman, How anyone could describe this chart as "good weather" is beyond me! I'm going to miss this dry sunny invigorating weather and the snow covered mountains.:(

Rtavn1741.png

I would keep this weather any day, clear blue skies and beautiful sunshine, Looks like the monsoon season is going to kick in next weekend. can't understand why some people are wishing for it.

People are not wishing for a monsoon season, they are looking for a warm up. There was monsoon like weather for much of southern Ireland in the middle of this cold snap, around 20th March....the monsoons as you call them don't just come from the southwest.

People are wishing for grass to grow, plants to bud, for the air to smell of spring. It is April

People are wishing for winds that don't come from the east favouring neither man nor beast.

People are waiting for the temperature to break 10 C, ANYWHERE.

People are wishing not to have to dress like the Michelin man just to walk to work days after the clock changed.

People are wishing to turn the oil off.

Cold weather, please lads, grand in December, January, February...even the first week of March, but after that it's abnormal. This month has been abnormal. As a warm blooded mammal I find it abnormal.

Look it is only 5 months until September when people can start chasing blue colours in Fantasy Island again.

But I am sure I speak for millions when I say the blues can feck off now..even if it has to be wet for a while.

dopolahpec wrote: »
    People are not wishing for a monsoon season, they are looking for a warm up. There was monsoon like weather for much of southern Ireland in the middle of this cold snap, around 20th March....the monsoons as you call them don't just come from the southwest.

People are wishing for grass to grow, plants to bud, for the air to smell of spring. It is April

People are wishing for winds that don't come from the east favouring neither man nor beast.

People are waiting for the temperature to break 10 C, ANYWHERE.

People are wishing not to have to dress like the Michelin man just to walk to work days after the clock changed.

People are wishing to turn the oil off.

Cold weather, please lads, grand in December, January, February...even the first week of March, but after that it's abnormal. This month has been abnormal. As a warm blooded mammal I find it abnormal.

Look it is only 5 months until September when people can start chasing blue colours in Fantasy Island again.

But I am sure I speak for millions when I say the blues can feck off now..even if it has to be wet for a while.

I was in northwest donegal at the weekend and it could do with some good rainfall if half the bog isn't going to go on fire this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Like I said in the other thread. I am firmly in this camp now. Even as a snow bunny, there is nothing more frustrating than blizzard snow that doesn't stick or doesn't stick around past midday. True snow bunnies got nothing but frustration out of the last 6-8 weeks and obviously the mildies got nothing out of it. Nobody happy. Feck off Cold. I want my fecking Spring NOW!!!Two huge heating bills instead of one this Winter and for fecking what. No consolation of a week of lying snow.

In my ideal dream world we would have a week of Snow that stars Xmas Eve night and melts on the 1st of January when everyone goes back to work with warning enough for our poor farmers to get the animals into the sheds off the mountainsides with only the need for one weeks feed. Everyone happy. Does it ever happen that way? Does if Fcuk. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Calibos wrote: »
    Like I said in the other thread. I am firmly in this camp now. Even as a snow bunny, there is nothing more frustrating than blizzard snow that doesn't stick or doesn't stick around past midday. True snow bunnies got nothing but frustration out of the last 6-8 weeks and obviously the mildies got nothing out of it. Nobody happy. Feck off Cold. I want my fecking Spring NOW!!!Two huge heating bills instead of one this Winter and for fecking what. No consolation of a week of lying snow.

In my ideal dream world we would have a week of Snow that stars Xmas Eve night and melts on the 1st of January when everyone goes back to work with warning enough for our poor farmers to get the animals into the sheds off the mountainsides with only the need for one weeks feed. Everyone happy. Does it ever happen that way? Does if Fcuk. :D

Yes it was a pity it happened so late in the year. My heating bill was not too bad this year. I kept my saving from the warm winter last year and that about covered this extended winter.

Still not looking forward to Summer. I hope for a nice Northenly all summer with rain or as much as last Summer as possible. I am not looking forward to being constantly uncomforable with the heat, dying of hayfever and 4 or 5 months of sleepless nights.

Sooner October or November arrives the better.

Advertisement