Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelscoil Thulach na nOg - Dunboyne

Options
  • 09-01-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have my sons name on the list for this school - to start in Sept 2013. Does anyone have experience of when they normally confirm a place? I have rang the school but they are unable to confirm....:-(

Just one other thing - the research I have done locally, deems it a very good school - would be interested in hearing if there are any parents out there with children attending this gaelscoil at the moment and what their experiences are?

Many thanks!

Maura

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

mauraf wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have my sons name on the list for this school - to start in Sept 2013. Does anyone have experience of when they normally confirm a place? I have rang the school but they are unable to confirm....:-(

Just one other thing - the research I have done locally, deems it a very good school - would be interested in hearing if there are any parents out there with children attending this gaelscoil at the moment and what their experiences are?

Many thanks!

Maura

I was just wondering how your son is getting on in school? Im hoping to send both my little people there!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭mauraf

so far so good, Emmadilemma! He absolutely loves it! No complaints so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I have a child going there too and I have nothing but positive things to say about the school. Well, parking (or lack of) is an issue alright, but that's all and I will take that happily as long as my child is thriving there. The standard of Irish is very good and the teachers are all very approachable. If you need any more info or you have any specific queries from a parent's point of view, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

Twizzler wrote: »
    I have a child going there too and I have nothing but positive things to say about the school. Well, parking (or lack of) is an issue alright, but that's all and I will take that happily as long as my child is thriving there. The standard of Irish is very good and the teachers are all very approachable. If you need any more info or you have any specific queries from a parent's point of view, feel free to PM me.

Hi Twizzler,
    How early did you enrol your child? Are you in the catchment area for the school? Is it hard to get in? We have just enrolled out child now for next year.

Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Hi Nic,
    I had my form in for my child quite early - around 2.5 years before the decision-making process - but that was purely because I had time on my hands back then and AFAIK it doesn't make any difference how long the application has been in - there is a closing date each year by which the application for the next school year has to be in by, and then all of the applications are assessed at a later date. I am in D15, and there are a lot of other children from D15 in my child's class too - so the catchment area is not just Dunboyne or other areas in Co. Meath only. Is it hard to get in...well, I don't have the exact list of criteria anymore against which the school makes their decision (I'd imagine if you contacted the school, they'd be able to give you the criteria) but everyone in our naionra got a place either there or in Scoil Oilibheir, so I'd say if your child is in a naionra, you have a good chance. In my child's year, it seemed that the children that were closer in age to 5 got interviews (or rather, their parents got interviews) for Scoil Oilibheir. Five out of ten children in my child's naionra got places in Dunboyne, and the others already had places in Scoil Oilibheir due to the sibling policy or from the interviews. Dunboyne also has a sibling policy in place as part of its criteria. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have a child there too.
    We are very happy with the school and the teachers.
    It has the feeling of being a small country school where the staff go out of their way for the kids,evetyone from the secretary to the principal are lovely to deal with.
    The kids also seem to have a lot of fun and they do little extras like pancakes for pancake tuesday,a teddy bears picnic and irish dancing during seachtain na gaeilge.
    I am not sure how they prioritise students but their enrollment policy will state their criteria.

Advertisement