Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticket Prices

• 09-01-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

Want a halfway line seat for Arsenal v Man City at the weekend? You'll need to cough up a scarcely credible £126 for it. That is €160 in this part of the world. To even get in the door at the Emirates will lighten your wallet to the tune of £62 (€80). It doesn't take an expert to work out ticket prices are out of control for the big games at Arsenal. They're not even bordering on insane, they blazed past that border some time ago.

Quite how the board can reconcile charging 5 star prices for some of the ****e we serve up at times is beyond me. You'd swear we were playing Barcelona-esque football off the back of 3 consecutive trebles with someone like Messi playing for us. They get a small bit of credit for the £10 tickets they offer for the League Cup games, but at best its a hat tip to fans of the club.

I suspect that pricing ranges may be revisited in the summer given the vast swathes of red seats that are becoming very visible on match days and the amount of games that now go on General Sale making a mockery of their Membership System access to ticket buying. Financial Chickens may come home to roost when we start to only get ~50k in for the likes of City at home.

So I think why I started this thread is to ask posters in here (a) how much it costs to see their team and (b) does it represent good value for you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I seen yesterday that City send back almost a third of their tickets cause they were too expensive. 60 pounds I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

€10 for a student ticket into Dalymount. Can't have any complaints about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Even though City are the 'victims' in this one in terms of prices for away support, some could argue that it's partly our fault that prices have gotten that high in the first place.

Having said that, that's just too expensive to justify travelling when you factor in transport, food etc. I paid £50 to watch City at the Emirates two years ago so it's gone up over 20% in that time.

Arsenal do offer £10 for the Carling Cup and it's all to do with the category of the game, guess this ends the "Are City a big club debate?" if nothing else ;)

Personally, I paid £35 to see City v Reading a few weeks ago and £15 for the cup game against Watford at the weekend when the ticket prices were capped at £20. I find both amounts very reasonable.

In Australia it's $30 to see an A-League game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Ballyoulster U17's

Cost: Petrol Money, Frustration, Laughs and ultimately - heart ache.
    Value: Absolutely.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not my team but saints fan posted this a while ago

Sparta Prague league game between €5 and €10
    Vs Chelsea in Champions league €80, €120

Patselona €15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Most expensive Chelsea tickets are the West stand upper, depending on the game they can be £82 which is madness, thats usually for the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd, City coming to town.

FA Cup tickets are £30 anywhere and League Cup is £25 anywhere.

Most expensive I've paid has been for the Matthew Harding Upper whcih was £56 (I'm sure) 3 years ago against Spurs Chelsea won 3-0 that day, the same ticket now is £59.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

I have a season ticket so it works out roughly £26 a game for me, but when I have had to get other tickets for mates I usually get them for £16 for Category C and below, and the most I've paid for a Category A game was £40.

I know Arsenal tickets and season tickets have had a very high ceiling for a number of years now, and a couple of guys I work with can't afford to go more than 4 or 5 times a season. They used to have season tickets but sold them the year after the stadium was paid off and the tickets went up again. They've got very disillusioned with why they have to pay so much while watching all their players being sold and no real money spent to replace them.

Alternatively, tickets to MK Dons games cost me £10 through work, and I've just got a few tickets for the Dons U16 v Arsenal U16 for a £1!

Also got tickets for the Villa Southampton game on Saturday for £20, which I thought was very resonable, with the most expensive ticket being £39.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sherbourne

(a) how much it costs
    to see their team: €15
    (b) does it
    represent good value for you? No. It should be 10 quid max for whats on show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I know this is taken from an arsenal blog, but he makes some very good points

http://arseblog.com/2013/01/city-fans-refusal-to-pay-opens-an-important-debate/
    Ahead of the Man City game on Sunday, an interesting story that City returned over 800 tickets to Arsenal, and there’s strong evidence that this is because their fans have deliberately chosen to boycott the game due to the price of the ticket, which comes in at £62.

It raises an interesting debate. On the one hand, a club like City has to accept that their policy of spending a fortune on transfers, and subsequently wages, has, along with Chelsea and other oil rich clubs, done more than anything to skew the market. Signing Emmanuel Adebayor and paying him £170,000 per week, for example, was not a deal done with any kind of forward thinking. After he had his usual bright start, the little boy inside him – who is a monstrous twat – came into play and City wanted to get rid. But who would buy him? Nobody, and it had little to do with his attitude and everything to do with his wages.

He went on loan to Real Madrid, then a season on loan at Sp*rs where City paid the majority of his wages, and even when Sp*rs wanted to buy him permanently, it took all summer to do a deal because they couldn’t match his City salary. He wasn’t going to take such a huge cut, in the end they had to pay him off. Na$ti went up there to earn as close to £200,000 a week as he could. There are players on £200,000+ every week, some of whom are very good. There are also very average players there earning a fortune in comparison with players at other clubs.

And it has a knock-on effect. For example, I’ve often heard people suggest that it’s right for Theo Walcott to look for the ‘going rate’ for an England international when the likes of Milner, Barry, Lescott, Lampard, Terry, Cole and so on, are on massive money at their clubs. It’s always struck me as a facile argument and one which stands up to little scrutiny. If Walcott goes there to play, then he can use that as a measurement, but if he plays at Arsenal his salary should be relative to those at this club. Will that make him think twice about signing for Arsenal? I think we can see that his refusal to do so for the last 18 months is proof of that.

It’s not just Arsenal though, it affects every team in the league. The super rich can gazump who they want in terms of transfers, they can pay whatever it takes to get a player regardless of how destabilising that is, and all it does is force wages across the game higher. Footballers look at their contemporaries and want to be paid accordingly. They don’t really care if their club can afford it, if it’s on offer somewhere else they’ll have no compunction in ****ing off to get it.

And at Arsenal wages have risen considerably in the last few years. The figures, via Swiss Ramble, highlight that. 2007 – £89.7m 2008 £101.3m – 2009 £104m – 2010 -£110.7m 2011 – £124.4m 2012 – £143.4

Scary. Some of the increases in the last couple of seasons can, perhaps, be attributed to the fact that the club as a whole is growing, with more staff in all areas, but the majority of it is down to increased player salaries. We are paying more, because we have to pay more. I don’t want to get into a debate or analysis about the inefficiencies we have in terms of wages with some of the playing staff, it’s been done, we all know about it, but the bottom line is that in order to stay somewhat ‘competitive’, we’ve renewed deals, signed players on better wages and so on.

A stark fact from Swiss Ramble – “Since 2009 wages have gone up £39 million (38%), while revenue has only grown by £10 million (5%)”.

Now, that was written before the renewed and improved sponsorship deal with Emirates was announced, but that’s what we were contending with. It’s a global problem, no question, and wages will always go up, but the rate at which they did so was accelerated by clubs like Man City and Chelsea. Look at PSG, spending whatever it took to get Zlatan and other big name players, and then, essentially, pissing all over FFP by announcing an annual €150m ‘sponsorship’ deal which is little more than the owners pumping money into the club under the guise of something acceptable and official.

So you might feel little sympathy for Man City fans who baulk at paying £62, but are they to blame for the fact that the people who run their club are mad and have no compunction in spending whatever it takes? Shouldn’t there be some kind of solidarity between fans regarding ticket prices. I know it’s supply and demand and all that, but I’ve watched Gingers4Limpar struggle to move two spares for one of the highest profile games of the season, and it’s not difficult to see why:

£126 for a game of football?! I know, if you don’t like it, don’t go. And here’s the thing, City fans are choosing not to go, and I don’t think they deserve any criticism for it. It’s not a question of condoning what your club does and paying the price for it, it’s something that affects all football fans and this is the first time I can really remember a situation where away fans have said ‘No, enough is enough, that’s too much.’

Is is a watershed moment? Who knows? Maybe it’s a January, post-Christmas, festive empty wallet thing, but it strikes me that it’s more to do with the price of the game in general. It raises questions too about whether or not we want to contribute to that. There are some who won’t care one bit about how expensive it is for City fans yet call for a billionaire to pump money into Arsenal to continue the artificial inflation of player salaries and transfer fees, when ultimately it’s fans who pay. Billionaires are rarely philanthropists, the market will drive prices ever upwards. At which point it will be a game that’s beyond too many. It already is, stories of long-term fans being priced out of the game are not hard to find.

To be fair to Arsenal, initiatives like the £10 tickets for the Carling Cup are fantastic, and keep football open and affordable for the next generation, but in general it’s impossible not to think that prices across the game are simply too high and we’re now beginning to see the consequences of that. It’s noticeable in the Emirates, it has been for a couple of seasons. A smattering of empty seats here and there is not uncommon, but the blocks of red are growing. It’s got something to do with the football, no question, but it would be foolish to ignore the underlying reason – and people simply aren’t prepared to pay for what they’re getting.

A combination of high-prices, under-performance and refusal to invest what’s there is negatively affecting the very life and soul of the club – the fans. How long before that has a knock-on effect on revenue in other ways, such as sponsorships, advertising, endorsements and so on? Do you want to pay for a pitchside ad running in front of swathes of empty seats? It’s not just Arsenal, football has a problem that it is doing little to address seriously. The PSG example above shows how owners come in, and use clubs as playthings with no thought whatsoever about how it affects the game in general. But they’ll, quite rightly, say that they can do what they want within the rules, it’s not their job to police the game or run their club for the benefit of others.

It’s down to those who run football to ensure that the game doesn’t eat itself, and given what we have in charge it’s little surprise that things are the way they are. Both FIFA and UEFA have, in recent years, made it quite clear that their priority is to make as much money as possible from football. They’ve done it without any kind of forward thinking and by exploiting the game as it is, rather than trying to make football as good as it possibly can be and then reaping the rewards. With that kind of ‘leadership’ it’s no wonder the game has the problems it does.

Blatini wants money, money, money. Forget the soul of the game; forget fair play and honesty; forget things that would improve it like video evidence during a match; forget that things like foul play, racism and corruption ought to be eradicated but are dealt with in a pathetic, mealy mouthed fashion in case they tarnish the game in the eyes of the sponsors who pay the money to make the rich men richer.

It’s ****ed, the whole thing is ****ed. Unless fans, who are the people who really make football clubs great, do something about it. So as loathsome as the City ownership model is, and as unseemly as the way they’ve behaved since being taken over is, I reckon the fans who refused to pay £62 to travel to see a Premier League football game, might just be doing us all a favour. Even if it’s just to get us talking about this properly.

Till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

There's no doubt that the tickets for the PL are too expensive. As a result the atmosphere suffers as it's a more middle class crowd.

Just look at Germany (once again) as a good example. 150euro for a season ticket for Dortmund or Bayern on the terraces and you get an atmosphere 10 times better than any ground in Britain that I've been to and I've experienced the likes of Anfield, Wembley, OT, Celtic Park and St.James Park.

• Advertisement

thorbarry wrote: »

http://arseblog.com/2013/01/city-fans-refusal-to-pay-opens-an-important-debate/[/QUOTE]

Is there anything in the game City are now not to blame for? Surely as an Arsenal fan that has paid astronomical prices for years now would be asking why is the money not being invested in the team for the amount that is being taken at the turnstiles. Arsenal have been double the average top 4 season ticket price for the best part of a decade now. If they want that sort of money, they shouldn't be crying that other clubs are making their players want more money. Pay the players if you want to keep them and build a title winning team again instead of selling and just coming short repeatadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

http://arseblog.com/2013/01/city-fans-refusal-to-pay-opens-an-important-debate/[/QUOTE]

Is there anything in the game City are now not to blame for? Surely as an Arsenal fan that has paid astronomical prices for years now would be asking why is the money not being invested in the team for the amount that is being taken at the turnstiles. Arsenal have been double the average top 4 season ticket price for the best part of a decade now. If they want that sort of money, they shouldn't be crying that other clubs are making their players want more money. Pay the players if you want to keep them and build a title winning team again instead of selling and just coming short repeatadly.

I dont think Arsenal are blaming anyone, just 1 person that writes a blog ;)

He has a point tho, as more and more money is getting pumped into football, it going to be the fans that pay the price. Inevitability ticket prices will go up along with other things, as clubs will have to recoup the costs of paying crazy amounts for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm sure there are, but its obvious how City/Chelsea etc have contributed to this issue. Also pretty sure the second part in bold is purely fictitious.

I dont think Arsenal are blaming anyone, just 1 person that writes a blog ;)

He has a point tho, as more and more money is getting pumped into football, it going to be the fans that pay the price. Inevitability ticket prices will go up along with other things, as clubs will have to recoup the costs of paying crazy amounts for players.

Yes, but this why the FIFA Fair Play is introduced to try and regulate the inflation that is occuring over such a short time. But it just seems to be Arsenal tht are the ones reaping huge ticket prices, first to pay for the new stadium, now to pay for players wages. I think they are taking the mick tbh. And a section of away fans boycotting won't bother them, it will require their own fans taking a stand and boycotting.

AdamD wrote: »
    I'm sure there are, but its obvious how City/Chelsea etc have contributed to this issue. Also pretty sure the second part in bold is purely fictitious.

It has always been present in the game with the likes of Utd, Real, etc. paying huge increases to what the current club can allow. Nowadays there are a lot more teams involved including Chelsea, City, PSG, Anzhi... It is a worldwide thing, not just a result of Chelsea and City.

Arsenal's season ticket has cost on average £1000-£1200 a year. Utd's season ticket is £550-£650, City £500-£600. I'm sure there is a site that compares these prices, and I'll post a link when I get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

€15 at my local LOI ground. Money well spent IMO.

Don't be a cow and you won't get milked :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes, but this why the FIFA Fair Play is introduced to try and regulate the inflation that is occuring over such a short time. But it just seems to be Arsenal tht are the ones reaping huge ticket prices, first to pay for the new stadium, now to pay for players wages. I think they are taking the mick tbh. And a section of away fans boycotting won't bother them, it will require their own fans taking a stand and boycotting.

Haven't the London clubs always had a higher ticket price average than the regional clubs?

Not sure what fans want here, club football at this level is ultimately a business and the business will charge as much as it can get away with to help pay the bills and eventually make a profit for it's owners.

As mentioned above, only when attendances begin to drop in a big way, will these prices start coming down.

Players wages are totally out of kilter with reality and have been for a long time now, it is a vicious circle and blaming any one club over the other is foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

kippy wrote: »
    Not sure what fans want here

To not be ripped off and not to be alienated from the club they love.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    To not be ripped off and not to be alienated from the club they love.

Well that's a given.
    But as I said, those clubs you all love are essentially a business.
    Time to start supporting "smaller" clubs I suppose who will "value" your support.

I'm probably being overly harsh - but the relative success and exposure that these clubs have/get mean that they grow a larger fanbase and those "original" hard core match going fans DO get alienated. Originally these guys were working class people, not earning great money get but they are getting priced out of it because the clubs know they have enough fans to continue to pay the prices and TV money etc etc etc will make up any shortfall.

Not sure what fans want here, club football at this level is ultimately a business and the business will charge as much as it can get away with to help pay the bills and eventually make a profit for it's owners.

Once again I'll use Germany as an example. The Bundesliga is one of the biggest leagues in the world but yet still offer affordable ticket prices for the lower/middle class to reguarly attend their teams matches.

• Advertisement

Lucan Bohs wrote: »

Once again I'll use Germany as an example. The Bundesliga is one of the biggest leagues in the world but yet still offer affordable ticket prices for the lower/middle class to reguarly attend their teams matches.

The German clubs have a fundamentally different ownership model, as far as I recall.
    You'll generally also find that their wage bills (overall) are nowhere near the levels of the bigger clubs in England etc........

Now, don't get me wrong. I know that clubs like Barca and Madrid often sell really cheap tickets to their games as well but ultimately it comes down to the business end of it.
    Arsenal et all, know they have enough fans willing to fill those seats at those prices and until that changes they won't start coming down.

The German clubs have a fundamentally different ownership model, as far as I recall.
    You'll generally also find that their wage bills (overall) are nowhere near the levels of the bigger clubs in England etc........

Now, don't get me wrong. I know that clubs like Barca and Madrid often sell really cheap tickets to their games as well but ultimately it comes down to the business end of it.
    Arsenal et all, know they have enough fans willing to fill those seats at those prices and until that changes they won't start coming down.

What's wrong with that? Obviously the quality won't be as good but inflated wages are one of the problems of modern football.

Regarding prices to attendance ratio, The Bundesliga has the highest average attendance with most game sold out but yet they still offer cheaper tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

But Bundesliga clubs aren't run to grab money from their customers. They're run for their fans. English football needs a huge overhaul to emulate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

AgileMyth wrote: »
    English football needs a huge overhaul to emulate that.

Won't happen this side of the crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sherbourne

(a) how much it costs
    (b) does it

Is that a team in Asia? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's the likes of the Irish who are responsible for all this in fairness.

£39-£43 for a ticket in the Kop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Surely it's a case of supply and demand right? There's enough people want tickets to certain games, so they can charge extra, right?

It's the same in different sports. A ticket to a Toronto Maple Leafs home game can cost a $200 or $300, to get in the door. $500 or $600 to get anywhere near the ice. And there's 82 games a season (well, not this season, but I'm getting sidetracked).

I've never been to a regular season NFL game, but I'm sure they are even worse. There's only 18 games.

Baseball is the opposite. There's ~160 games a year, and no one cares about it, so you can get tickets for as low as $15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Surely it's a case of supply and demand right? There's enough people want tickets to certain games, so they can charge extra, right?

It's the same in different sports. A ticket to a Toronto Maple Leafs home game can cost a $200 or $300, to get in the door. $500 or $600 to get anywhere near the ice. And there's 82 games a season (well, not this season, but I'm getting sidetracked).

I've never been to a regular season NFL game, but I'm sure they are even worse. There's only 18 games.

Baseball is the opposite. There's ~160 games a year, and no one cares about it, so you can get tickets for as low as $15.

This.

If they can get full houses they can charge what they like.

• Advertisement

I think the main grief many people have is the average fan is being priced out of supporting their team. Ultimately the atmosphere suffers and if they spend more on tickets they're less likely to spend money on merchandise, food etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I've seen Man Utd play European games for less than €80 - that's including ticket, food and travel. The majority of people in a stadium will have season tickets, and don't pay those prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CSF wrote: »
    It's the likes of the Irish who are responsible for all this in fairness.

No I blame the Chinese, you can't trust them boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I paid 11euro to watch an Ac Milan team of Kaka, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Nesta, Inzaghi etc etc

I think the main grief many people have is the average fan is being priced out of supporting their team. Ultimately the atmosphere suffers and if they spend more on tickets they're less likely to spend money on merchandise, food etc

Sure, I get that.

But that's what comes with have big foreign owers, pumping money into a clubs to pay massive wages and transfer fees to players. It all becomes about the money. And when it becomes about the money, the clubs will charge as much as they can. They don't care about the average fan, it's all about balancing numbers in columns, making as much money as possible.

Sad, but that's the way it's gone.

I paid 11euro to watch an Ac Milan team of Kaka, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Nesta, Inzaghi etc etc

Playing where? Against who? And in what competition?

Edit: either way it's good value!! Just curious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Paid €15 for Lazio v Juve about ten years back. 2 all draw and a cracking game and atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Owen_S wrote: »
    I've seen Man Utd play European games for less than €80 - that's including ticket, food and travel. The majority of people in a stadium will have season tickets, and don't pay those prices.

Man United have a waiting list for season tickets, why would tickets be on sale at stupid prices from the club for these matches and from travel agents?

Waiting list for season ticket.
    Tickets being sold at matches.

hmmm are they not selling the full amount of season tickets to capitalise on these people (irish,chinese etc:) who will pay the top dollar for the ticket for one off matches (to the fan)?

United are not the only ones with season ticket waiting lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Sherbourne

(a) how much it costs
    (b) does it

tumblr_m5yeprGcRW1qg1ohi.jpg

Ermahgerd Sherbourne!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Shurlburn, surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Man United have a waiting list for season tickets, why would tickets be on sale at stupid prices from the club for these matches and from travel agents?

hmmm are they not selling the full amount of season tickets to capitalise on these people (irish,chinese etc:) who will pay the top dollar for the ticket for one off matches (to the fan)?

That's a bit of a myth as far as I know. There used to be a big enough waiting list but nowadays it is pretty much non-existant for OT. Pretty easy to get a season ticket these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Shurlburn, surely.

Yeah but the guy wrote Sherbourne in his post.

What's wrong with that? Obviously the quality won't be as good but inflated wages are one of the problems of modern football.

Regarding prices to attendance ratio, The Bundesliga has the highest average attendance with most game sold out but yet they still offer cheaper tickets.

Nothing is wrong with it, the point is their expenditure is higher than the clubs in England, hence the higher ticket prices, greater need for revenue etc......
    The Bendesliga clubs, as has been said here, are run on a totally different model to the English clubs nowadays, these things together (along with some other factors are why the tickets are generally far cheaper and attendances are higher.

As I said earlier, I do believe the higher prices english clubs generally charge have alienated the more "local" grassroots fan however most of these clubs can absorb this due to "foreign" demand for the one of tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

£19 for a ticket at Roots Hall to see Southend. £21 if bought on the day.

Ideally you'd want to be paying less but lower ticket price = less income for the club which as a supporter I do not want to see. I rarely feel that I haven't got my monies worth.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    £19 for a ticket at Roots Hall to see Southend. £21 if bought on the day.

Ideally you'd want to be paying less but lower ticket price = less income for the club which as a supporter I do not want to see. I rarely feel that I haven't got my monies worth.

But you won't be gaining any fans though will you? It's a fine balance between keeping current supporters happy and attracting new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

But you won't be gaining any fans though will you? It's a fine balance between keeping current supporters happy and attracting new ones.

I think long term you gain fans by attractive pricing towards kids and especially teenagers. I used to support a London Premier League side as a small kid then Southend started letting in U16s for £4 then £2 then £1. My school friends and I started going and here we are 20 years later.

I doubt the adult population of Southend are put off of going because it's £20 a ticket. If there was any evidence that cutting ticket prices leads to any significant increase in ticket volumes then ticket prices would be low and attendences high in the English lower leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

dreamers75 wrote: »

United do not have a season ticket waiting list. That is a myth, probably peddled by the club to garner interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

£67 in the soft seats for a category A at St James Park, down to £47 for cat C, with member's 5% discount. You also get a free programme and a stupid sticker, and usually sitting beside some rugby fan or foreigner who asks you which team is which.:mad: Great view though.

Is it worth it? It certainly is for the view of the pitch. But then the game starts.:(

Where To wrote: »
    £67 in the soft seats for a category A at St James Park, down to £47 for cat C, with member's 5% discount. You also get a free programme and a stupid sticker, and usually sitting beside some rugby fan or foreigner who asks you which team is which.:mad: Great view though.

Is it worth it? It certainly is for the view of the pitch. But then the game starts.:(
    Define 'foreigner'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Define 'foreigner'?
    Someone who doesn't support the club and has no interest in soccer, and is only there because football is 'cool' or they got comped corporate tickets. I think Roy referred to them as prawn sandwichers.

*I don't mean actual foreigners, Newcastle have 350 odd Norwegian season ticket holders and I know one guy flies over from Tokyo for every home match.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement