Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old nightclubs and pubs in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

moby2101 wrote: »
    Old enough to have been to most of these establishments also !:) I went to college in Limerick in 89(..do the maths..old!!!)
    Is it just me or was there not a much more vibrant nightclub and music scene back then. I remember seeing Something Happens and The 4 of Us loads of times in the two mile inn...Long walk back into town, The Wedding Present in the Parkway! That was an amazing gig.
    Anyone remember the Pub where Baileys is now ( ..,NO 15, Boxwells) ...they had a "Music Club" that you had to join, it was a way around licensing hours in the early 90's...U could imbibe away in there on a Thursday/Friday night till the weeeeeee hours!

Don't forget Speakeasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Any one remember the pub on Denmark street before it was redeveloped, I think it was on the corner where O' Connells is now. The place was mental.

Was there the last night before it was knocked down. We were allowed to help ourselves with the books on the shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

joes was super spot when you weren't of legal age, they used to ask politely if you had id an answer of yes was all they needed and you could only order pints, speakeasy was always a dive in my eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone remember Brennans on Catherine St. They used to do lovely toasted sandwiches. Used to wait in there for my dad before he finished work. Remember they had the pool tables upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Visited this place at Christmas because we couldnt get in the door of Bourkes:
    http://stuffinthangs.blogspot.com/2011/02/ma-hogan-she-knows-how-to-pint.html

Never knew it existed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I thought that that was the back part of Bourke's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Tis

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

The old quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Sacramentum

Seems a bit unusual resurrecting a thread that's almost eight years old but hope someone can help me out. Am wondering if anyone can enlighten me with the location of Feathery Bourkes, Cheers, The Glory Hole and Costellos all of which I believe were old Limerick nightclubs. I'm looking where possible for a street address and what (if anything) is in the same location now. An advance thanks for any trouble taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

Seems a bit unusual resurrecting a thread that's almost eight years old but hope somene can help me out. Am wondering if anyone can enlighten me with the location of Feathery Bourkes, Cheers, The Glory Hole and Costellos all of which I believe were old Limerick nightclubs. I'm looking where possible for a street address and what (if anything) is in the same location now. An advance thanks for any trouble taken.
    Featherys Shannon Arms Henry Street now apartments
    Cheers 35 - 37 Catherine Street now derelict after being a few different watering holes
    Glory Hole no clue
    Costello's still open Dominic street Limerick

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »
    Featherys Shannon Arms Henry Street now apartments
    Cheers 35 - 37 Catherine Street now derelict after being a few different watering holes
    Glory Hole no clue
    Costello's still open Dominic street Limerick

Very much obliged.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A Google search led me to a .pdf of an old "Night Times: What's On In Limerick", an 8-page (independent?) publication of events and night spots in the city. Issue 1, March 1990.

It features a photo of John Kenny (of D'Unbelievables fame) and names him as the co-ordinator of the Glory Hole Comedy Club at the George Hotel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, the Glory Hole was the bar in the basement of the George. Also known as the Sibin at some stage.

A Google search led me to a .pdf of an old "Night Times: What's On In Limerick", an 8-page (independent?) publication of events and night spots in the city. Issue 1, March 1990.

It features a photo of John Kenny (of D'Unbelievables fame) and names him as the co-ordinator of the Glory Hole Comedy Club at the George Hotel.

Thanks very much for that. I thought I'd dreamt it as it has been over a quarter of a century since I frequented many of these places and there may have been drink involved on some of the occasions which doesn't always aid recollections. One I forgot to ask about is Docs which I think subsequently became the Granary. Is the building still there and what's it used for now?

Yeah, the Glory Hole was the bar in the basement of the George. Also known as the Sibin at some stage.

Go raibh míle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Thanks very much for that. I thought I'd dreamt it as it has been over a quarter of a century since I frequented many of these places and there may have been drink involved on some of the occasions which doesn't always aid recollections. One I forgot to ask about is Docs which I think subsequently became the Granary. Is the building still there and what's it used for now?

Docs became Trinity Rooms and then Habitat, It's closed now and the newer part of the building (not the original granary building) is being knocked as part of the opera site.

source wrote: »
    Docs became Trinity Rooms and then Habitat, It's closed now and the newer part of the building (not the original granary building) is being knocked as part of the opera site.

Thank you. Had some great nights in there not least the famous 1-1 against Northern Ireland. Maybe it's the rose tinted glasses but there seems to have been a greater variety of social outlets back in the day. Either that or we were easily pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Thank you. Had some great nights in there not least the famous 1-1 against Northern Ireland. Maybe it's the rose tinted glasses but there seems to have been a greater variety of social outlets back in the day. Either that or we were easily pleased.

I think it was a bit of both. The names of old pubs and clubs definitely make me feel so nostalgic. Nights out are just not the same anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭893bet

I ain’t googling glory hole.

That’s a trap!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

893bet wrote: »
    I ain’t googling glory hole.

That’s a trap!

I did get some rather risqué results before I found the information I was looking for! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Went to UL between 1992 and 1996. This thread has triggered a lot of names I'd long forgotten. The club's I recall were

Henry Cecil (in an old mill type building)
    Saints and Scholars(became Trinity Rooms)
    Two Mile Inn
    Ted's
    Tropics in George hotel
    Cheers
    Costellos(upstairs club?)
    The Park (in Parkway SC)
    Kilmurry hotel in Castletroy had a disco (only opened in my final year that I can't recall name)
    Dolans on Dock Road
    Basement disco in Glentworth hotel
    Baker Place on way up to train station
    Was there also a Brazen Head on O'Connell St or am I confusing it with the same name pub in Dublin?
    Termites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

ongarboy wrote: »
    Henry Cecil (in an old mill type building) - nightclub upstairs was Bojangles
    Saints and Scholars(Docs became Trinity Rooms) - became The Market,
    Two Mile Inn - was this Poldarks?
    Ted's
    Tropics in George hotel
    Cheers
    The Park (in Parkway SC)
    Kilmurry hotel in Castletroy had a disco (only opened in my final year that I can't recall name)
    Dolans on Dock Road
    Was there also a Brazen Head on O'Connell St or am I confusing it with the same name pub in Dublin? -there was it on the groundfloor and Ted's downstairs
    Termites.
    My late 90s early noughties memories in bold

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Went to UL between 1992 and 1996. This thread has triggered a lot of names I'd long forgotten. The club's I recall were

Henry Cecil (in an old mill type building) Demolished.
    Saints and Scholars(became Trinity Rooms) Now Angel Lane nightclub
    Two Mile Inn - Now a nursing home.
    Ted's - Still open
    Tropics in George hotel - Demolished
    Cheers - Derelict (soon to be demolished)
    Costellos(upstairs club?) - Still open
    The Park (in Parkway SC) - Now offices.
    Kilmurry hotel in Castletroy had a disco (only opened in my final year that I can't recall name) Not sure if that's still going, but the hotel is still there.
    Dolans on Dock Road - Still open
    Basement disco in Glentworth hotel - Hotel is still going, but no disco.
    Baker Place on way up to train station. - Closed
    Was there also a Brazen Head on O'Connell St or am I confusing it with the same name pub in Dublin? Brazen head and Teds one and the same. Now 101/Maggie Choos.
    Termites. - Demolished

So many of these no longer exist. Makes me kind of sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

So many of these no longer exist. Makes me kind of sad.
    Getting in before the rest - Quin's

Henry Cecil (in an old mill type building)
    Saints and Scholars(became Trinity Rooms)
    Two Mile Inn
    Ted's
    Tropics in George hotel
    Cheers
    The Park (in Parkway SC)
    Dolans on Dock Road
    Was there also a Brazen Head on O'Connell St or am I confusing it with the same name pub in Dublin?
    Termites.

Was in Mary I from 1993-96 so can definitely relate to this list. I think Tropics was renamed Phase 2 circa 1995. If you were in Larry Murphy's pub at the right time you could pick up a consessional or better still complimentary ticket. That's a name I'd totally forgotten. Whereabouts was Termites?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

The Lodge (at Kilmurry Lodge, or at least thats what it was called a decade ago) is coming back as Cask Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Did someone forget The Works and the place which was a king of strip club downstairs, but was a nightclub as well. (Not the High Stool)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭peter4918

Was in Mary I from 1993-96 so can definitely relate to this list. I think Tropics was renamed Phase 2 circa 1995. If you were in Larry Murphy's pub at the right time you could pick up a consessional or better still complimentary ticket. That's a name I'd totally forgotten. Whereabouts was Termites?

The first time I went to termites it was in downstairs in the old Cruises hotel, that was then demolished to make way for Cruises street and it moved to the Savoy on Bedford row. Great times in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Granadino wrote: »
    Did someone forget The Works and the place which was a king of strip club downstairs, but was a nightclub as well. (Not the High Stool)

Termites, and The Works were both part of the Savoy.

Termites then moved to the Globe which had Le Chic lap dancing club in the basement.

Surprised no one mentioned Boogie Wonderland in The Theatre Royal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭peter4918

Granadino wrote: »

The Works was great and you pop upstairs to Strictly Rhythm to the rave for awhile!

Advertisement