Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old nightclubs and pubs in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

I worked as a glass collector in Magnums in the old Limerick Ryan Hotel on the Ennis Road back in the early/mid 80s. Place was hopping. Also worked in the Two Mile Inn when the likes of the Wolfe Tones, Christy Moore, Brendan Grace used to pack out the place before everyone went next door to Poldarks. Great nights but you earned your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The one held in Tropics had Dizneyland Chapter II on the flyer so Docs obviously served as the first venue in Limerick. One DJ was from London and the other from Chicago. I was only starting to discover the alternative music scene at the time so was very appreciative of the efforts taken to make my friends and I feel right at home. Not too many times I can recall moshing on the Tropics dancefloor unless Bohemian Rhapsody was being aired.

The DJ from Bromley part of this chapter?

Granadino wrote: »
    That was it.

Think the whole place was the Globe. Dolores O'Riordan had a bar in the second floor or so we were told.

Remember Speak Easy on O'Connell Street? Seen Sultans of Ping FC, Neds Atomic Dustmen and some other bands over that period. The one place that would let Dave Hogetey in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

YFlyer wrote: »
    Think the whole place was the Globe. Dolores O'Riordan had a bar in the second floor or so we were told.
    Back in the early noughties, post the lapdancing joint, the Globe had different bars, you had a cigar bar and a pool area on separate floors and shark was their red bull

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

This thread has brought back some memories and in just a short few years how many of the pubs in frequented after local football games are now gone.

On a short walk from Cals down Hyde Road you had Pat McGraths (gone) Frosts (gone) The Harp Bar/Monihans (gone). Over on Edward street you had Albie's (gone), Paddy Sullivan's (gone), further up on Parnell Street you had the Railway Hotel (gone), pub by Maher's butchers Clancy's i think (gone). On Davis Street The Hibernian (gone), The Haven (gone), Baker Place/Wicked Chicken (gone). Go over to Catherine Street and The Desmond (gone), Brennan's (gone), Sharkey's (gone). All in a two or three block radius.

I see Cheers mentioned at The Desmond, I can remember fondly sneaking up the back stairs from the main bar to the nightclub. On the floor overhead the nightclub there was two full size snooker tables, you could order pints and have them delivered up from the bar on a little lift which was located inside the main bar. At one stage towards to end they added Tango's next door which was frequented by an older crowd. There was also a strip club in there at one stage called Lapellos :)

I bought my first pint in there at the lounge. A pint of Carlsberg for £1.10 with my fake ID.

The place used to be jointed on a Saturday night with Leo Shine doing the karaoke.

Another place that was hopping was the 80's night at the George. Wiseguy's is another that jumps out at me, Nestor's Bar, The Olde Tom, The Henry Cecil, The Bedford, The Perry (Easy Singles used to play there on a Saturday night), There was also a place on Little Catherine Street that had a glass ceiling but the name escapes me.

Friar Tucks the first place I ever had a donor kebab. Krank's was another famous late night food joint that I still miss to this day. Those club burgers were class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

This thread has brought back some memories and in just a short few years how many of the pubs in frequented after local football games are now gone.

On a short walk from Cals down Hyde Road you had Pat McGraths (gone) Frosts (gone) The Harp Bar/Monihans (gone). Over on Edward street you had Albie's (gone), Paddy Sullivan's (gone), further up on Parnell Street you had the Railway Hotel (gone), pub by Maher's butchers Clancy's i think (gone). On Davis Street The Hibernian (gone), The Haven (gone), Baker Place/Wicked Chicken (gone). Go over to Catherine Street and The Desmond (gone), Brennan's (gone), Sharkey's (gone). All in a two or three block radius.

I see Cheers mentioned at The Desmond, I can remember fondly sneaking up the back stairs from the main bar to the nightclub. On the floor overhead the nightclub there was two full size snooker tables, you could order pints and have them delivered up from the bar on a little lift which was located inside the main bar. At one stage towards to end they added Tango's next door which was frequented by an older crowd. There was also a strip club in there at one stage called Lapellos :)

I bought my first pint in there at the lounge. A pint of Carlsberg for £1.10 with my fake ID.

The place used to be jointed on a Saturday night with Leo Shine doing the karaoke.

Another place that was hopping was the 80's night at the George. Wiseguy's is another that jumps out at me, Nestor's Bar, The Olde Tom, The Henry Cecil, The Bedford, The Perry (Easy Singles used to play there on a Saturday night), There was also a place on Little Catherine Street that had a glass ceiling but the name escapes me.

Friar Tucks the first place I ever had a donor kebab. Krank's was another famous late night food joint that I still miss to this day. Those club burgers were class.

On little Catherine street you had High spirits on one corner Flannerys on the other and PJs in the middle.

adaminho wrote: »
    On little Catherine street you had High spirits on one corner Flannerys on the other and PJs in the middle.

PJs that's the one.

I can also remember getting a mean voucher going into the nightclubs. Yu could get Chicken and Chips or some form a slop like chile con carne

There was also a place on Little Catherine Street that had a glass ceiling but the name escapes me.
    PJ's

PJs that's the one.

I can also remember getting a mean voucher going into the nightclubs. Yu could get Chicken and Chips or some form a slop like chile con carne
    It was a condition of opening late that you had to get a 'Theatre Licence' which also required you to serve food. So Doc's ALWAYS had "on tonight's menu; Chili con carne":D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Think I tried it once or twice. Spicy. :D

MarkR wrote: »
    Think I tried it once or twice. Spicy. :D

That was the point. You'd end up skullling pints after it. The George had a chicken curry and Ted's had Chicken Maryland that were both pickled in salt. Costellos had a full carvery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

adaminho wrote: »
    That was the point. You'd end up skullling pints after it. The George had a chicken curry and Ted's had Chicken Maryland that were both pickled in salt. Costellos had a full carvery.

The George/Tropics sometimes had whatever was left over from the restaurant. I remember occasionally getting chops or chicken and mash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It was also a legal requirement which is where I originally know the phrase substantial meal from.

Curry or Chilli con Carne and alcohol to some was a terrible mix for their systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Berty wrote: »
    It was also a legal requirement which is where I originally know the phrase substantial meal from.

Curry or Chilli con Carne and alcohol to some was a terrible mix for their systems.

Eight hours drinking Guinness and a rushed chilli con carne, shur what could go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Remembering the chicken carcasses strewn along O Connell Street on a Sunday morning after Pat Graces Kentucky fried chicken. Was one of the few places open then at 3am. Queues out the door. The odd header in the queue......and Frankie tapping the line for a few bob.

No need to beat around the bush, he attempted an armed robbery on them in Birdhill after the gig.

And used a fruit and veg marked box van as the getaway vehicle.......you couldnt make it up.

Any one remember The Green Door pub ?

There was also a place on Little Catherine Street that had a glass ceiling but the name escapes me.

In fairness though a lot of those places you mentioned didn't close down in the usual sense. I mean they didn't just go out business / go bust, they were just owned by elderly men who retired when the time was right but didn't have family who were inclined to take over and stay in the same line as work as their dad.

Anyway, was the place on Little Catherine St The Pink Flamingo by any chance? Not to be confused with The Pink Elephant on Bedford Row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Any one remember The Green Door pub ?

Ah yes, had a red door didnt it?

phill106 wrote: »
    Ah yes, had a red door didnt it?

It actually did later on. It was before my time. Mickey Martin bought it 87. One of my favourites was the old Jack Rea's on Catherine street next to Ma Hogans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Odelay wrote: »
    I suppose Daffy's on Catherine street is gone? It had a nice selection of pints before it became fashionable.

It's now the commercial, daffy's is gone since late 90s? Early 00s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

A mate of mine was taken to lapellos instead of a nightclub on a date. The lady knew the doormen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,311 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

She sounds more like a hooker than a keeper.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I blew 350e in ****ing Lapellos once on a payday, woke up the next morning half smiling from what I could remember of it, half crying from the hangover and mourning my bank balance :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Sacramentum

YFlyer wrote: »
    The DJ from Bromley part of this chapter?

According to the flyer the DJ from London was called Michael and his counterpart from Chicago Kayman. In fairness to both they played everything I asked them to play that night from Cypress Hill to Pearl Jam. One of my BA friends used the occasion to launch his campaign for the presidency of the Mary I Student's Union the same night. Suffice to say we didn't go thirsty. Great memories and the best of times.

In fairness though a lot of those places you mentioned didn't close down in the usual sense. I mean they didn't just go out business / go bust, they were just owned by elderly men who retired when the time was right but didn't have family who were inclined to take over and stay in the same line as work as their dad.

Anyway, was the place on Little Catherine St The Pink Flamingo by any chance? Not to be confused with The Pink Elephant on Bedford Row.

Yeah I agree with the above. They put a lot of work into refurbishing Paddy Sullivan's and on the night they reopened Mrs O'Sullivan passed away. That pub especially was a big loss to a lot of older people in the area.

The bar on Little Catherin Street was named PJ's

Yeah I agree with the above. They put a lot of work into refurbishing Paddy Sullivan's and on the night they reopened Mrs O'Sullivan passed away. That pub especially was a big loss to a lot of older people in the area.
    I don't think you're correct there. I pretty sure Paddys wife Teresa didn't die on the night of the reopening. His son Des took over the bar and redeveloped it in the late 90s. She died later than that. The pub closed around 2006 and Paddy himself died in 2012.

The locals moved on to Helen Noonans, Slatterys and Austins

I don't think you're correct there. I pretty sure Paddys wife Teresa didn't die on the night of the reopening. His son Des took over the bar and redeveloped it in the late 90s. She died later than that. The pub closed around 2006 and Paddy himself died in 2012.

The locals moved on to Helen Noonans, Slatterys and Austins

I lived in the area mate. I actually worked on the refurb. The lady died on the night of the official re opening or very shortly thereafter. November 2006. Paddy died a day or two before Christmas in 2012.

They made a fine job of the refurb. Des tried his best in fairness but to be honest and this is just a personal opinion, I don't think his heart was in it. He was there pretty much all of the time, one or two lads did cover for him occasionally and he tried the food rout but unfortunately it never took off.

Funny enough the owner of The Haven which closed on Davis Street took over Slattery's and it now being run by the former barman from The Haven. I was in there for a pint back in February and he runs a tight ship in there. A nice local pub for a quiet pint.

I lived in the area mate. I actually worked on the refurb. The lady died on the night of the official re opening or very shortly thereafter. November 2006. Paddy died a day or two before Christmas in 2012.

They made a fine job of the refurb. Des tried his best in fairness but to be honest and this is just a personal opinion, I don't think his heart was in it. He was there pretty much all of the time, one or two lads did cover for him occasionally and he tried the food rout but unfortunately it never took off.
    I'm a relative. Mate. I know what I'm taking about. November 2006 is around the time the bar closed for good. Not when it reopened. The refurbishment was in the late 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

The Sarsfield Bar. I went in there once.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Anyone remember the techno nights in the Theatre Royal in the mid 90's. Had some cracking nights there. I think it was call The Station at the time.
    I remember a DJ called Billy Nasty played there around 1996, he was a pretty big name. Tickets were like gold dust, 1500+ attended the gig.
    We used to go to Strictly Rhythm in the Savoy some nights, Buddy was the resident DJ and then the Parkway turned into a House club called
    The Cairo around the same time. Pippy was resident iirc.
    We were spoiled for choice for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Laurent Garnier in the Royal was one of the best nights of my life

every patron searched on the way in by the bouncers with the drug squad looking on

It closed shortly afterwards when a kids passed away down an alley close by after taking dodgy E's.

Pippy was a great DJ on the scene as well

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Laurent Garnier in the Royal was one of the best nights of my life

every patron searched on the way in by the bouncers with the drug squad looking on

It closed shortly afterwards when a kids passed away down an alley close by after taking dodgy E's.

Pippy was a great DJ on the scene as well

I had forgotten about that Garnier gig. I had the flyer of it on my wall for a few years afterwards. I remember the youngfella that died. Very tragic at the time. The place never really recovered after it. My parents barred me from going there afterwards. So we just went to Strictly instead.

Do you remember the weekenders they used to put on in the Royal. You could buy a ticket for 1 or 2 nights, depending on who was playing. Great times.

yes I remember them well.

Maybe its nostalgia kicking in but it really was a golden era for music and nightlife.

A whole cohort of Limerick heads making the transition from Stone Rose, Happy Mondays, Baker Place, Quinns and termights to house music, super star DJ's, Strictly, The Cairo, The Royal, weekends away to Sir Henrys and the POD.

Now that I think of it Costellos has transcended all those genres and era's :-) Im going to have to get back in there soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Late 90s here but Leaving Cert night the queue for Docs was out to the road. It was early though so the library was still open & so side door to the Granary was open. Went round and skipped the queue. Good times.

Late 90s here but Leaving Cert night the queue for Docs was out to the road. It was early though so the library was still open & so side door to the Granary was open. Went round and skipped the queue. Good times.

Used to always do that "but my friends are in the courtyard/bar" and then walk right up to the front of the queue inside :D

yes I remember them well.

Maybe its nostalgia kicking in but it really was a golden era for music and nightlife.

A whole cohort of Limerick heads making the transition from Stone Rose, Happy Mondays, Baker Place, Quinns and termights to house music, super star DJ's, Strictly, The Cairo, The Royal, weekends away to Sir Henrys and the POD.

Now that I think of it Costellos has transcended all those genres and era's :-) Im going to have to get back in there soon!!

We did Sir Henrys a few times alright. Them Cork boys knew how to take yokes I'll tell you !
    We spinned up The Sex Kitchen in Salthill a few nights as well. Class spot. Pure sweat box!

We'll never see days like them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,221 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Feathery burkes had some of the maddest nights in my life in the short time it was open :)

thank god there was no camera phones or social media back in those days!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

thank god there was no camera phones or social media back in those days!!!

Just had to wait for the film to be developed. 22 out of the 24 being too blurry to recognise anything :-)

Here's John The man Frawley reading out interpub results from the 80's.

No one who ever entered the infamous black double doors of The Navigator on Wickham Street with the "ZZ Top" logo painted across them would never forget it.

I think even Today Tonight had a feature on the place back in the 80's. The RTE cameras were outside but they wouldn't go in to the place, which to be fair they probably weren't given permission. Must have made the mistake of telling them what they were trying record. I vaguely remember them trying to point a camera in the door while remaining a safe and legal distance away across the street, but all they had inside the pub was a single light bulb over the pool table illuminating the whole place.

Does anyone remember hearing the expression The Bermuda Triangle in Limerick? You draw a line in the map joining The Dew Drop Inn, The Olympic Arms, and The Navigator to make a triangle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

I remember doing the rounds with my father on a Saturday, mother would do the shopping while he drank pints, she would meet up and he would drive home:D

Ollie Naughtons top of william st, then down to Patsy in the Nicholas Bros, and across the lane to The Noel Edward, he was never a Rashers man for some reason.

Many a night was spent in Riddlers, was never a fan of martins across the road, we worked in Dunnes in the early 90s so wages were practically spent there.

As said the live music scene back then was so much better, between docs and the perry, fri sat and sun night were covered.

oleras wrote: »
    As said the live music scene back then was so much better, between docs and the perry, fri sat and sun night were covered.
    You literally had a choice of music 7 nights a week! Weekends were mental as you could go hop from the George, Doc's, The Pery, Bakers, Preachers or Schooners on a Thurs/Fri/Saturday night! On a Sunday you'd find Joe Browne in the brazen head from 12-2 then head out to the Ark to Shantytown till 6, back into Schooners for Alvin Purple till 9 and up town to pick from 2/3 others!

Does anyone know if there was another hotel out near the Two Mile Inn? I have a vague recollection of attending a Victory Dance Ball in some hotel out the Ennis Road in March of 1996 but can't recall if it was the Two Mile Inn or the Limerick Inn. We also had the afters of our Graduation in the same location.

Does anyone know if there was another hotel out near the Two Mile Inn? I have a vague recollection of attending a Victory Dance Ball in some hotel out the Ennis Road in March of 1996 but can't recall if it was the Two Mile Inn or the Limerick Inn. We also had the afters of our Graduation in the same location.

The only other I can think of would be the Limerick Ryan but obviously not as far out. The Two mile Inn was a place for events, there was often stuff on there.

I'm a relative. Mate. I know what I'm taking about. November 2006 is around the time the bar closed for good. Not when it reopened. The refurbishment was in the late 90s.

You are 100% correct. I checked with my dad last night. Teresa actually died the night they closed the bar for good or very shortly thereafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Limerick inn became the radisson if thats helps you place it, would be further out on the right then the two mile.
    Greenhills would be closer to town, before the coonagh roundabout.

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    Limerick inn became the radisson if thats helps you place it, would be further out on the right then the two mile.
    Greenhills would be closer to town, before the coonagh roundabout.

I'm fairly sure the hotel in question was on the left as you're travelling out of Limerick so must've been the Two Mile Inn. Thanks for that.

Advertisement