Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old nightclubs and pubs in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Schooners - there's a bar I'd forgotten about, don't think I was ever in there as they were a bit picky on the door (I looked young)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The_Dave wrote: »
    Schooners - there's a bar I'd forgotten about, don't think I was ever in there as they were a bit picky on the door (I looked young)

If that was the bar on Steamboat Quay, it was a handy spot for young folks to get served towards the end. My friends used to go there early in a night out and get a table before the door staff started their shift! That would have been around 2006/2007 though. The Schooners branding on the windows was only removed a year or two ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

If that was the bar on Steamboat Quay, it was a handy spot for young folks to get served towards the end. My friends used to go there early in a night out and get a table before the door staff started their shift! That would have been around 2006/2007 though. The Schooners branding on the windows was only removed a year or two ago.

Spent a few years working there, manager was a wagon but other than that great bar to work in good food and decent breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I thought schooners closed I the early 00s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The_Dave wrote: »
    Back in the early noughties, post the lapdancing joint, the Globe had different bars, you had a cigar bar and a pool area on separate floors and shark was their red bull

Lapdancing club was there till the very end. It was the only thing that stayed after the old nightclub closed and Termights and Bubblicious moved over from The Savoy.

Cigar bar was a gay bar for a bit but was moved to the ground floor because everyone was complaining about 3 flights of stairs for a smoke and just became a storage room for the bands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

source wrote: »
    I thought schooners closed I the early 00s?

I'd guess 2006. I was definitely old enough to order a pint in there, but most of my friends were still a few months south of 18. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Feathery Bourkes anyone?
    Jack Reas
    The Shakespeare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Granadino wrote: »
    Feathery Bourkes anyone?
    Jack Reas
    The Shakespeare

I loved Jack Rea's. We'd have a few there on the weekends with older relatives, before setting off to our own younger bars. Usually old Mollys on Catherine Street, the Dog house (The Cornstore is in there now) or Doc's bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thread needs Kess73!
    He's got some war stories, and is a missed head.

Started boozing in town late '94.
    Did the usual spots but was very much a Quin's and termites regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Feathery Bourkes anyone?
    Jack Reas
    The Shakespeare

i'm a veteran of feathery bourkes, pound a shot pound a bottle, SU presidents getting beaten up, magic mushrooms in the niteclub absolute carnage before they shut it down :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Feathery Bourkes anyone?
    Jack Reas
    The Shakespeare

I loved the old Jack Rea's in Catherine street. Tiny pub but rammed every Saturday with a lot of the Fairview crowd. Pint and a toastie then around the corner to Nestors for the 3pm kick off and back to Rea's.

Sunday was a match at 10.30 over to the Triple Crown straight after. Stayed there during the holy hour into Mickeys for 4. Then around to the Central for a game of Killers downstairs. Up to the Chicken for a game of fussball and downstairs to the club!

I recall having to go to Supermacs during the Holy Hour as the pub closed, listening to the death notices and then back to the pub

i'm a veteran of feathery bourkes, pound a shot pound a bottle, SU presidents getting beaten up, magic mushrooms in the niteclub absolute carnage before they shut it down :)

There was a live gig in that place one night. Now for the life of me I can't recall the name of the band, but it's not important at the moment. Basically the thing was being broadcast live on the radio (when that was a thing, giving my age away here but however...) and a massive fist fight boke out on the floor. The crowd leathered the absolute shyte out of each other for 20 minutes, but the radio station didn't have anything to cut out to, producers never expected it or thought that far ahead I suppose, so they just carried on.

I can't even remember the station at this point, not after 30 years, it might have been the student station Mary I had, honestly I can't say.

There was a friend of mine in the middle of it phoned my house from the coin box. Pre mobile days I should add but you'll probably guess that bit. Says to me do you have the radio by you, can you turn it on? So I tune in and it sounds like a fully fledged riot being broadcast while your man gives me a running commentary over the phone.

There was a live gig in that place one night. Now for the life of me I can't recall the name of the band, but it's not important at the moment. Basically the thing was being broadcast live on the radio (when that was a thing, giving my age away here but however...) and a massive fist fight boke out on the floor. The crowd leathered the absolute shyte out of each other for 20 minutes, but the radio station didn't have anything to cut out to, producers never expected it or thought that far ahead I suppose, so they just carried on.

I can't even remember the station at this point, not after 30 years, it might have been the student station Mary I had, honestly I can't say.

There was a friend of mine in the middle of it phoned my house from the coin box. Pre mobile days I should add but you'll probably guess that bit. Says to me do you have the radio by you, can you turn it on? So I tune in and it sounds like a fully fledged riot being broadcast while your man gives me a running commentary over the phone.
    I wonder was it Live 95fm, as Feathery Bourke's used to sponsor the Top 7 at 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I was thinking it couldn't have been 30 years, shannon arms still back then, quick google gave me this. RLO was the station.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/nightclub-loses-licence-following-disco-violence-1.93353

There was a pub on little Catherine st as well, where the cafe and Christian bookshop is. Owned by the Conways. Can't recall name. Was grand for a pint as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There was a pub on little Catherine st as well, where the cafe and Christian bookshop is. Owned by the Conways. Can't recall name. Was grand for a pint as well.

PJs, the earliest version had saw dust on the floor before the HSE(or WHB) considered it a fire risk. The newer version was a whole lot different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That’s so featherys :) I think it’s common in college towns that locals and students unite for cheap beer and the war breaks out

oleras wrote: »
    I was thinking it couldn't have been 30 years, shannon arms still back then, quick google gave me this. RLO was the station.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/nightclub-loses-licence-following-disco-violence-1.93353

Ah OK, that could possibly have been the one. Like I said after that many years the details get a bit sketchy. I won't argue with anyone who wants to correct me, let's be honest there was an awful lot of pints thrown back between then and now.

Plus the thing about Limerick is it takes decades for anyone to catch on with name changes, Shannon Arms and Feathery Burke's were always interchangeable, ****d if I could tell you what the difference between them was ever supposed to be anyway. :D

That’s so featherys :) I think it’s common in college towns that locals and students unite for cheap beer and the war breaks out

The problem with Featherys was the bouncers were fairly strict but they opened the beer garden and you could hop the back wall and bypass them so it got very rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Ah OK, that could possibly have been the one. Like I said after that many years the details get a bit sketchy. I won't argue with anyone who wants to correct me, let's be honest there was an awful lot of pints thrown back between then and now.

Plus the thing about Limerick is it takes decades for anyone to catch on with name changes, Shannon Arms and Feathery Burke's were always interchangeable, ****d if I could tell you what the difference between them was ever supposed to be anyway. :D

Im not too sure if they changed the layout, but i seem to remember Shannon arms was one of only two 360 degree square bar(if that makes sense) bars in limerick...the other being Punches, thats why it stands out to me.

adaminho wrote: »
    The problem with Featherys was the bouncers were fairly strict but they opened the beer garden and you could hop the back wall and bypass them so it got very rough.

The bouncers used to try that whole "no jeans, no trainers" thing in the old Garryowen rugby club discos. You'd swear they were guarding the red carpet at The Oscars or something with the attitude!

Six or seven lads would turn up with one pair of regular trousers between them. First guy goes in by himself, straight into the toilets, changes into his jeans, and passes the trousers out the jacks window to his mate. The mate gets changed in the car park, goes in the front door, and passes the same pair of pants back out the jacks window to the next guy.

Did it myself more than once. Six of us got into a Fatima Mansions gig down in Cork one night with one ticket between the lot of us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

oleras wrote: »
    Im not too sure if they changed the layout, but i seem to remember Shannon arms was one of only two 360 degree square bar(if that makes sense) bars in limerick...the other being Punches, thats why it stands out to me.

The Davin had a bar like that too. As did Kennedy O'Briens.

The Davin had a bar like that too. As did Kennedy O'Briens.

KOB's did I think the one in the Davin had Walls to seperate the bar and the lounge. The Windmill had an Island Bar as well.

The bouncers used to try that whole "no jeans, no trainers" thing in the old Garryowen rugby club discos. You'd swear they were guarding the red carpet at The Oscars or something with the attitude!

Six or seven lads would turn up with one pair of regular trousers between them. First guy goes in by himself, straight into the toilets, changes into his jeans, and passes the trousers out the jacks window to his mate. The mate gets changed in the car park, goes in the front door, and passes the same pair of pants back out the jacks window to the next guy.

Did it myself more than once. Six of us got into a Fatima Mansions gig down in Cork one night with one ticket between the lot of us.
    That was every Pub in town! Used to throw our shoe's out the top window of the Henry Cecil!
    Anyone remember Moby Dick's on the Dock Road? Became Ciarain Careys then Clem Smiths and then The Kasbah? Used to be famous because they had a Mast Head of a Mermaid as a bar pillar that kept on getting the nipples robbed off it. Ended up making national news! Between that and the Wounded King statue in the peoples park getting his mickey robbed we were either prudes or pervs!
    https://images.app.goo.gl/9KLfjpT7V8rU5emV8

That was one crap thing about Limerick in the 90s , early 00s. The bouncers. The "sorry bud, no tackies" was bullsh*t, the guys on the Icon the worst offenders but that's what I deserve for going there in the first place. (I remember when it was cool to be dating a bouncer. They always had a dolly bird hanging off their arm) :rolleyes: :pac:
    Luckily you can get pretty much anywhere now in whatever you want to dress in which is proper order.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I remember drinking in a bar on Catherine Street. Molly Malone's, often when I should have been in college. This was before the change to Ellen Street, if it's the same owner. I also remember drinking in Quinn's, probably towards the end of when they were there.

Then the nightclubs, Tropics after the Junior cert. Docs. Phase 2. I even got lost in Smyths one time. :D Could not find my way out. Wound up doing laps of the place. An extraordinary amount of Jack Daniels may have been the cause there. I eventually washed up in the smoking area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That was one crap thing about Limerick in the 90s , early 00s. The bouncers. The "sorry bud, no tackies" was bullsh*t, the guys on the Icon the worst offenders but that's what I deserve for going there in the first place. (I remember when it was cool to be dating a bouncer. They always had a dolly bird hanging off their arm) :rolleyes: :pac:
    Luckily you can get pretty much anywhere now in whatever you want to dress in which is proper order.
    From what I've been told (way too old for the place these days), they haven't changed one bit.

From what I've been told (way too old for the place these days), they haven't changed one bit.

Ok then. They are still thick meat heads then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The clothes thing has changed but despite me being too old to have to worry its sad how many pubs are now over 23. Thats 5 years of your drinking life that you are barred from half the pubs in town

Advertisement