Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old nightclubs and pubs in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Popoutman wrote: »
    So that's what that is?

I used work in Cairo's (the Park) collecting glasses. Good workmates, scary owner. The crew that ran it used also run Sir Henry's in Cork, completely unsurprising! Two pounds an hour for "four hours" of work, often ending up working six. Minimum wage was a dream at that point!

When was it when the upstairs part of Baker Place was the local swinger's club until that migrated to the industrial unit out towards the Tipperary road?

I was a regular in The Cairo back in the day. I was at the first night that they put on waaaaay back when. It was a cracking spot for a time then the usual dodgy heads
    kinda ruined it and all the normal folk moved back into Strictly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

4 or 5 years? I was going to Baker Place in the mid 90s. The Wicked Chicken lasted 15 years. Trust me there are plenty of us who have great memories of the place.

I didn't realize it had been called Wicked Chicken for that long. It had been Bakers for years but it opened and closed a few times. The version I used go to didn't open till after the Termights/Globe and the Stool closed and I think was closed before the Blind Pig opened but can't fully remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I didn't realize it had been called Wicked Chicken for that long. It had been Bakers for years but it opened and closed a few times. The version I used go to didn't open till after the Termights/Globe and the Stool closed and I think was closed before the Blind Pig opened but can't fully remember

There was a period where the Baker Place upstairs bar was ran by some guy that had New York Fire Department photos. Post 911 I believe.

YFlyer wrote: »
    There was a period where the Baker Place upstairs bar was ran by some guy that had New York Fire Officers photos. Post 911 I believe.

I think he was the first to reopen it during the 00s and it became the music venue after that. I think the 00s Wicked Chicken just slowly started to take over more and more of the building as it got popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

YFlyer wrote: »
    There was a period where the Baker Place upstairs bar was ran by some guy that had New York Fire Department photos. Post 911 I believe.

The Precinct, he was ex NYPD I believe , lots of police memorabilia and patches in there.

• Advertisement

I think he was the first to reopen it during the 00s and it became the music venue after that. I think the 00s Wicked Chicken just slowly started to take over more and more of the building as it got popular

Think the lads of 8 ball magazine were involved, to some degree at least, with Wicked Chicken.

source wrote: »
    The Precinct, he was ex NYPD I believe , lots of police memorabilia and patches in there.

That's him.

That's the one. I don't think it ever got off the ground really. Felt too much like a fake Irish bar in America for me to ever warm to it

That's the one. I don't think it ever got off the ground really. Felt too much like a fake Irish bar in America for me to ever warm to it

It was successful enough in its own way, I was up there regularly, it was more a place for a quiet drink than a roaring night out.

It was successful enough in its own way, I was up there regularly, it was more a place for a quiet drink than a roaring night out.

It's those quiet drink spots I miss most these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

adaminho wrote: »
    That was every Pub in town! Used to throw our shoe's out the top window of the Henry Cecil!
    Anyone remember Moby Dick's on the Dock Road? Became Ciarain Careys then Clem Smiths and then The Kasbah? Used to be famous because they had a Mast Head of a Mermaid as a bar pillar that kept on getting the nipples robbed off it. Ended up making national news! Between that and the Wounded King statue in the peoples park getting his mickey robbed we were either prudes or pervs!
    https://images.app.goo.gl/9KLfjpT7V8rU5emV8

I was regular in Moby Dicks/Ciaran’s/Clems for years. Just lived around the corner on Alphonsus St. Also used to frequent O’Dwyers a lot which was formerly Larry Murphy’s. (No harm there was a name change!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Where was The Precinct again? It rings a bell.

I was regular in Moby Dicks/Ciaran’s/Clems for years. Just lived around the corner on Alphonsus St. Also used to frequent O’Dwyers a lot which was formerly Larry Murphy’s. (No harm there was a name change!!)

Went there a few times very early in the morning after shifts in nightclubs when it was Ciarans/Clems

Where was The Precinct again? It rings a bell.

Baker Place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

Some good times in Larry Murphy’s

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Some good times in Larry Murphy’s

That's an unfortunate name for a pub. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Popoutman wrote: »
    So that's what that is?

When was it when the upstairs part of Baker Place was the local swinger's club until that migrated to the industrial unit out towards the Tipperary road?

The wha! Brave folk going to a swingers joint in Limk. "Do I know you from somewhere?" You could bump into your boss or cousin there.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Granadino wrote: »
    The wha! Brave folk going to a swingers joint in Limk. "Do I know you from somewhere?" You could bump into your boss or cousin there.... :D

Reminds me about going to Bubilicious for a gay workmates birthday one night and meeting my Girlfriends mates at the bar! Cue a twenty minute giving out to about leading her on! The slagging when I got back to them and told them "I just got the Ball's chewed off me at the bar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

What was the place on Ellen st. Was a gay bar I think and used to be great for a night out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What was the place on Ellen st. Was a gay bar I think and used to be great for a night out
    Quinns. Part gay bar, part student bar, part biker bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Ymca karaoke must have been epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Best pub in Limerick back in the day :)

It was the 90s we called it queer Quinns because that was fine back then, had my 21st there and we bailed in around 7pm, we didn’t know it opened at 7pm so basically the owner opened the latch as we piled in the door and frightened the crap out of him

And a decent priced roast during the day with deep fried ice cream on the dessert menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

And a decent priced roast during the day with deep fried ice cream on the dessert menu

used to call in if in town, trying to remember the man's name kinda running the show , serving tables , I think it was Christy.

for us culchies he was a kinda llaison officer pre mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

[HTML][/HTML]
    orm0nd wrote: »
    used to call in if in town, trying to remember the man's name kinda running the show , serving tables , I think it was Christy.

for us culchies he was a kinda llaison officer pre mobile phones.

Christy was a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

sioda wrote: »
    Featherys Shannon Arms Henry Street now apartments
    Cheers 35 - 37 Catherine Street now derelict after being a few different watering holes
    Glory Hole no clue
    Costello's still open Dominic street Limerick

The Glory Hole was a basement bar under The George Hotel, and part of the hotel. In later years it was also a live music venue.

g

Costelloes was amazing
    Jaysus it was 26 years ago now for me :)

Roots bloody roots would come one and then switched to something lighter every time due to the carnage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Costelloes was amazing
    Jaysus it was 26 years ago now for me :
    )

Roots bloody roots would come one and then switched to something lighter every time due to the carnage :)

If it's any comfort, the carpet is still the same 26 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

bazz26 wrote: »

Its not they changed it a few years ago

https://www.dailyedge.ie/limerick-pub-2280238-Aug2015/

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

It was rough then :) could do with a shake an vac

Advertisement