Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 98 / Win98 Printers

Options
  • 09-01-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a piece of equipment that runs on Windows 98 (don't laugh). I need to get a printer for it, either a mono laser or inkjet. I know I can buy the likes of an Epson LX300, Oki ML280 etc. that will work but I'd prefer an inkjet plus the initial cost is a heap less.

The machine I'm using uses an ISA board so I can't upgrade the hardware. Windows 98 is just used on this as a platform to run the machines operating system, it doesn't connect to the internet so it's not important that it's running old software etc.

If anyone knows of a suitable printer or even has something under the stairs that might work, I'd be interested in hearing from you. I'd buy 1 or 5 or whatever depending on what's out there. To be even more specific, I'd like a cassette loading printer like the HP's (3400 or 3700 series). These used to be shipped with the machines at one stage.

I have a HP 3420 but no software so even if someone has a driver cd in the attic, that would get me out of a hole for now.

Any help appreciated. Thanks !

Richie.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This could be a possibility. When using driverguides installer make sure to untick all the "optional" extras

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭richieoflynn

Hi Nick,
    Thanks for the help. I have this pc in a cabinet with no internet access so is there I way I can download from this site, burn to cd and load onto Win98 machine ? These sites confuse the hell out of me, there's so many download buttons, I never know which on to pick !!!
    Thanks,

Richie.

Hi Nick,
    Thanks for the help. I have this pc in a cabinet with no internet access so is there I way I can download from this site, burn to cd and load onto Win98 machine ? These sites confuse the hell out of me, there's so many download buttons, I never know which on to pick !!!
    Thanks,

Richie.

The Driverguide download manager tries to get you to install optional junk (don't) then downloads the driver files into the directory the installer was run from. You can burn the driver file to cd then, and shouldn't have any issues.
    It would also be worthwhile installing the Mass Storage drivers which will allow 98SE to use USB disks

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭richieoflynn

Hi Nick,

That's worked out perfectly ! The usb mass storage device driver was very handy and after going through the driverguide website, unclicking all the bull, I got the driver and printer is working :D Need ink now !

Very much appreciate the help.

Richie.

Hi Nick,

That's worked out perfectly ! The usb mass storage device driver was very handy and after going through the driverguide website, unclicking all the bull, I got the driver and printer is working :D Need ink now !

Very much appreciate the help.

Richie.

No probs Richie, Always happy to help :)

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement