Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Bed Appartment ESB costs

Options
  • 09-01-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi was just wondering what peoples average esb costs are. Just got first esbbill for this 2 bed appartment. €175 was a bit shocked considering the headingis gas and the showers are run of the gas too and no immersion used.

[*]Energy saving bulbs
      [*]A rated dishwasher and fridges washing machine.
      [*]Electric hob and oven.

Kettle would be used 4-5 times a day and dishwasher and wasking machine bothonce a day. No dryer. Both me and my girlfriend work full time so nobody there9-6 week days.lights turned off when not in use and telly and sky left onstandby, Does this seem expensive ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My bill for last 2 months came to 200 Christmas heat etc.

Your bill sounds pretty average tbh.

Wait, your heating is gas?

are you sure didnt think this was legal for apartments in ireland (could be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pk10216

yeah heating is gas. Gas bill came last week for €100 for two months.
      so thats 275 total for gas and electric for nov 1 to jan 1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Thats high if you have gas heating; our last bill was about €200 but that includes electric heating.

However I must question why two of you in an apartment are running a washing machine and dishwasher every day? That is going to seriously hammer your electric bill. Drop the dishwasher completely (seriously, how hard is it to handwash a couple of plates in the evening) and find a way of cutting down the clothes washing and see how much of a difference that makes.

your prob right, its just due to lazynes becaue its handy. Will give the dishwasher a miss for the next bill and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

djimi wrote: »
      Thats high if you have gas heating; our last bill was about €200 but that includes electric heating.

However I must question why two of you in an apartment are running a washing machine and dishwasher every day? That is going to seriously hammer your electric bill. Drop the dishwasher completely (seriously, how hard is it to handwash a couple of plates in the evening) and find a way of cutting down the clothes washing and see how much of a difference that makes.

Yes have to agree there. Who does that ? should be saving up till its a full load.

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

What do you mean by the showers are run off gas?
      If they are simply taking gas heated water but are power showers - thats still a draw on the electricity.

I live in a 2 bed apartment with gas heating (1 electric shower) and my normal electricity bill for 2 months is about 120 euro. It used to be a bit higher but we got into the habit of unplugging everything at night and not leaving things on standby.

I have a half size dishwasher (you know the 'slim' ones) and I run it once a day. It has a variety of settings and I run the shortest. I run the washing machine once or twice a week.

Why are you running the washing machine so often?

Heating water is by far the most expensive use of electricity so the dishwasher/washing machine/electric showers/kettles etc are always the most expensive.

If you are running a full size dishwasher and a washing machine once a day then its no surprise that your esb costs are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Was your last bill based on an estimated reading?

Have a 4 bed semi - currently with 2 occupants - although have had 3-4 in the past. In the last few years, bills have always been 110-135/bi-monthly.

Thats using dishwasher, tumble dryer and electric showers.

The meter was read.yes the showers are power showers run from gas boiler. The washing machine is only used evey two days when i think about it and on a 30deg wash. Would admit the dishwasher is turned on everynight on lowest setting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

pk10216 wrote: »
      Would admit the dishwasher is turned on everynight on lowest setting
      I guess it must be this then? I only need to run this 2-3 times a week. How do you manage to fill it on a daily basis?

The meter was read.yes the showers are power showers run from gas boiler. The washing machine is only used evey two days when i think about it and on a 30deg wash. Would admit the dishwasher is turned on everynight on lowest setting

So if you dont have hot water in the tank, you dont have a hot shower? Still not heating the water.

Is there a tumble drier?

What about at night, are ye unplugging everything, we noticed a big difference (like 20 euro a bill) just on unplugging things that cannot be actively switched off and not leaving them on standby. Tv, dvd, microwave, desktop computer with seperate speakers/printer/scanner etc.... We got multiblocks that have switches on each socket so you can switch off the switches rather than unplug things from the wall - it works great for stuff that had awkward plugs to get to.

• Advertisement

its not that big really just seems to be full by night time. but saying that everyting goes into it i haven't even washed a fork since ive moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Why are you doing a wash a day in the washing machine? Thats a huge amount of clothing for two. For just me its once a week for clothing and towels, and once every 3 - 4 weeks for bedding (more often in the summer when I can dry it).

Once a day seems hugely excessive to me. I'm also not a slob by the way if ye are wondering! :D

its not that big really just seems to be full by night time. but saying that everyting goes into it i haven't even washed a fork since ive moved in.

What length program is it on? Have you tried shorter programs?

that would be the missus with the washing machine :D . nothing can be worn more than once . if it was me i'd use same towel for a few days and wear stuff more than once before washing (underwear n socks maybe not)

that would be the missus with the washing machine :D . nothing can be worn more than once . if it was me i'd use same towel for a few days and wear stuff more than once before washing (underwear n socks maybe not)

Well thats going to cost a fortune, both in clothes which are subject to wear from every wash, in electricity costs, in water costs if they start charging for it and its really bad for the environment.

Seriously, its a bit OCD to be washing everything that has been worn once, totally needless.

thanks for your input guys i'll have to suggest a few changes

Advertisement