Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Forum Meet Up

• 09-01-2013 1:20pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all!

I know I threw around the idea before about having a meet up, I got some really positive feedback but nothing came of it, but I am making it my mission to follow through with good ideas in 2013 haha.

Without sounding biased I think the Christmas Forum is the best forum on boards, there's something magical about the forum and it truly captures the essence of the Christmas Spirit, and primarily that's down to every one who posts here, regular or otherwise.

It's the good nature and helpfulness of the posters that make this forum so good. The passion everyone here has for Christmas is amazing and comforting to know we're not the only ones!

And that's another great part of this forum, its the mutual love of Christmas creates almost an instant bond amongst posters here which is great. It's great to see this forum grow, from a seasonal one to a full time one and that's down to everyone who posts in it.

So if you're still with me after all that :P I'm proposing The Christmas Forum should have a meet up circa March 2013, and depending on the success make it a more regular like once a QTR, thinking March, June,Sept and then a big one in Dec to mark our favorite time of the year!

They can be used as almost like mini-Christmas workshops, swap stories, ideas, receipts, tips, etc., etc., and then some food and/or drinks after, accumulating in a big Christmas Outing at the end of the year.

I know its VERY early to be posting this, but the "off-season" would prob be the better times to meet as we all have a lot on over the Christmas period. And it gives us time to organise the smaller details.

Again as always this would only work if people give their honest opinions, thoughts, ideas, reservations they would have about Meet-Ups.

So any thoughts, comments, opinions are very much appreciated! :)

Comments

Could we wear the ol Christmas jumpers??? ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Could we wear the ol Christmas jumpers??? ;)

That should be almost mandatory ;)

lockie1983 wrote: »
    That should be almost mandatory ;)

Excellent!! Christmas 2012, or rather December 2012, I set myself a daft challenge - my 6 year old headed to school every day wearing different hair ties. We'd been on holidays in Florida over Halloween, so between there and Tesco/Asda/Claires, she had great collection. The gals in Naoinra Mhora were waiting for her every morning to check out her "do".

So, I can provide accessories!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

I'm up for it :D !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

This is relevant to my interests

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

hdowney wrote: »
    This is relevant to my interests

Excellent! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

lockie1983 wrote: »
    I'm proposing The Christmas Forum should have a meet up circa March 2013

Christmas 2?

http://youtu.be/9FnvPoITKh0#t=1m13s

(Sorry for the link, but I can't work out a way to embed the video and get it to play at a certain time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

I like the cut of your jib, Lockie and would like to subscribe to your Quarterly. ;)

Wouldn't it be gas to have a Christmas picnic in June?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

At the request of a poster, I've deleted some posts for privacy reasons. Thanks everyone :)

And to bring the focus back to topic, do we have any more interested parties in these meet ups? Or are they a bad idea??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think the Christmas meet-up should be nearer Christmas really! There's just more scope for ideas and things to do.

I don't know where most people are based, but if there's a lot of Dublin Christmas lovers we could do a meet up in November for the City Centre Christmas lights switch on, then head to the Brown Thomas Christmas shop and get some festive hot chocolates in the BT cafe.
    We could also keep an eye on the cinemas for big screen showings of 'White Christmas' and other festive favourites and have an outing to the pictures at some point. :)

Posy wrote: »
    I think the Christmas meet-up should be nearer Christmas really! There's just more scope for ideas and things to do.

I don't know where most people are based, but if there's a lot of Dublin Christmas lovers we could do a meet up in November for the City Centre Christmas lights switch on, then head to the Brown Thomas Christmas shop and get some festive hot chocolates in the BT cafe.
    We could also keep an eye on the cinemas for big screen showings of 'White Christmas' and other festive favourites and have an outing to the pictures at some point. :)

Great idea, I love it! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Roll on Christmas! :D

*looks at watch*

Only.... checks countdown thread... 251 days to go! :D

Posy wrote: »

Just bumping this as we're coming into the Business end of the Year and in only a couple of days we will be 3 MONTHS and counting. So if anyone is interested in doing something with regards a forum meet up we should get our little elf heads together and make a plan old Saint Nic would be proud of himself!

Love2love wrote: »
    Dublin Christmas tree lighting cermonies have been announced :)

Grafton Street : 14th November, 6pm
    Henry Street : 17th November, 4:30pm
    O'Connell Street : 24th November, 4:30pm

For anyone who hasn't been to these, the main one is O'Connell Street. Traffic diversion in place with on street entertainment, choir singing Christmas carols, The Lord Mayor hosts it and it's Fab!!!
    washiskin wrote: »
    So are we meeting up then? :)

Taken from the selection box, I'm bumping this thread to see if there's any interest at all for a forum meet up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I'm definitely interested!! Determined to see them this year. Plus any excuse for hot choc!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would love to bring the kids in for it so if I am not the only one with mini people a meet up sounds good:)

Advertisement