Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 most fashionable dog?

• 09-01-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

What I fear will be 2013's most fashionable dog to be seen with? Any Blockbusters from Hollywood due with dogs? Last years crown definitely went to the 'husky types' Lovely dogs as all dogs are but a real challenge to people that bought/got them without doing their homework on their charactistics first.
    Our local pound saw a large spike in their numbers coming through the doors.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

time lord wrote: »
    What I fear will be 2013's most fashionable dog to be seen with? Any Blockbusters from Hollywood due with dogs? Last years crown definitely went to the 'husky types' Lovely dogs as all dogs are but a real challenge to people that bought/got them without doing their homework on their charactistics first.
    7 psychopaths starred a Shi Tzu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

God only knows, with any luck whatever it is will be small and cute and easy to rehome!

Huge spike in the numbers of Akitas and Huskys in recent months. Neither easy get foster homes or indeed forever homes for. My local pound has had 9 huskys in the last month with only 2 of those reclaimed and they were a male and female so more than likely a breeding couple :(

Or perhaps it will become fashionable not to own a dog unless you can be a responsible owner but I think pigs will fly before that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I just hope to dog that the title does fall from the Huskies. Absolutely nightmare the last few months. Dunboyne has 4 huskies in at the moment. So many of them everywhere.

Lets hope that Hollywood doesn't make any dog films for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

I have seen deliberately bred collie/husky x (rough collies as opposed to borders)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

mirekb wrote: »
    I have seen deliberately bred collie/husky x (rough collies as opposed to borders)

Might of seen a couple of those. Obviously smaller than the real deal what I saw didn't stop to think it could of been a deliberate cross.
    My bad but maybe it won't catch on because they are not half as pretty as either parent. Me thinks anyway:o

• Advertisement

there is a large rescue centre in Longford that has a litter of siberian/samoyed cross pups, they took the mum and pups in when they were tiny, they're now 8 weeks old and ready to go. They are the fluffiest, cutest little things ever. A friend in scotland had that cross and has many sibes, is very knowledgeable and experienced, but maintains the cross was the hardest dog she's ever had, so hopefully these little cuties will inherit the sammy bits, not the sibe ones. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mirekb wrote: »

Saw a husky cross yesterday - didn't catch what the guy said it was a cross with but thinking back on its colouring it it could have been a rough collie. Have also seen an Akita, springer and basset pup over the last week...I'm sure there'll be more - the vaccination waiting times would be coming to and end now?

My bad but maybe it won't catch on because they are not half as pretty as either parent. Me thinks anyway:o

I saw some beautiful ones - the dad was a black and tan collie and the mum was a brown husky. Not approving of the deliberate breeding, but amazing looking dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Last years crown definitely went to the 'husky types'
    I hope no breed becomes fashionable this year i really do.Out of 11 dogs in Dunboyne at the end of last week, 4 were Huskies and nearly every other week they'd have one or 2 in there too.

I'm really hoping people start seeing the great in Sighthounds, rescuing not breeding though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Jezus, i'd love a husky.

• Advertisement

Jezus, i'd love a husky.

Pick a Pound any Pound....there's a gazillion of them goin spare :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

anniehoo wrote: »
    I'm really hoping people start seeing the great in Sighthounds, rescuing not breeding though.

I was just about to post that. For some reason I think we're going to start seeing more and more pet lurcher types. There is a certain organisation who is doing a lot for the perception of these lovely dogs and I really think that word is finally getting out there.

I would like to see a drop in people looking for husky types and bull breeds. There are way too many of both looking for homes at the moment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

There's a neighbour of mine who has 2 beautiful huskies. The only time I encounter them is them crying for attention over the back wall as I take my fella out to play ball. I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever seen them getting walked (I'm sure I'd remember seeing 2 huge lovely huge dogs like that about). Maybe they're being taken away for a long walk every day when I'm not around... but I don't really think so.

This fashionable dog thing annoys me. It's not like it's not been promoted for years and years and years that a dog's a long term commitment. You don't just choose it because it's suddenly trendy. I'd just laugh at it if there wasn't animals suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Whispered wrote:
    A little "staffy" (looks more like a pit to me tbh)

this is happening FAR too often in rescues, im seeing plenty of pbts being labeled as 'staffy X'. maybe its innocent ignorance, maybe its just easier to rehome them that way? whatever it is it stinks! it should be made quite clear to potential owners what breed a dog is.

as an example, a certain rescue last year had a fairly obvious red nosed pit for adoption - 19" tall, rangy pbt body, pencil thin pbt tail, small half prick ears that fell to the front and a glaring red nose.

how the hell is that a staffy X???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

haha you got in before my edit. :D Trying not to cause trouble!

But yeah, this isn't from a rescue, it's from a home who no longer wants the poor little mite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So what are the solutions?

So what are the solutions?

Education and enforcement hand in hand over and over again IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Education and enforcement hand in hand over and over again IMO.

Out of interest what enforcement measures are in place that might prevent whimsical ownership of dogs?

Out of interest what enforcement measures are in place that might prevent whimsical ownership of dogs?

I don't think there are any, apart from a licence.

microchipping could help a lot, but only if it is updated properly, as all IKC registered dogs have to be microchipped but yet still pedigree dogs turn up in pounds with the chip not registered properly. If the microchip number had to be on the licence, it could work. then any strays could be traced back to the owner.

Enforcement gives rise to helping reinforce responsible dog ownership. Responsibility of ownership is enforced by civic responsibility of licensing, in a republic we as citizens have responsibilities as well as rights. Having a dog properly 'tagged' so if it strays it can be quickly reunited with its owner, scooping their poop for all our sakes, checking that dogs out and about in public places are under effectual control.
    Keeping contact with vetinary practices and dog rescues etc to help keep up their responsibility to inform their local pound of the dogs they have. Seizing straying dogs. With our Irish culture of not spaying or neutering nearly enough of our dogs this seizing is a limited but one of a small number of measures that can and does help limit the numbers of unwanted puppies.
    Enforcement is paramount this time of year for lambing. Enforcement is the only option sometimes when certain owners cause hell for other dog owners/walkers who cannot take a stroll in peace. Who is called when the blind people with guide dogs get their pride and joy set on by loose uncontrolled dogs in ones or packs. Who in many areas of Ireland are in the door with Gardaí sometimes first to extract dogs with owners who have been dealing from the premises. Far more common than you think.
    Enforcement people who carry out their job are an integral part of any community that wants to have good responsibility ownership of dogs.
    Enforcement without education is a very limited resource and education on its own is also as weak. Dog owners think they know best what's needed from them to fit into the society we want deserve but they like everyone need guidance. Self discipline is the best and is best fostered by education and enforcement. The more responsible the citizen the less enforcement needed.
    Local authorities are only required to have one dog warden so I don't think too much enforcement will ever be an Irish problem.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Mongrel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Pick a Pound any Pound....there's a gazillion of them goin spare :p

And make sure and do your homework!!! Not having a go at anyone - just a few general points to anyone considering a Husky or similar.

When we first went looking 2 years ago, done deal backyard breeders were looking for 4-500 euros for anything related to a Husky.

They're now averaging 150-200 with many going free. This Christmas I was offered 2 separate Huskys for free while out walking! My girlfriends friend keeps emailing pics of the destruction to their walls and furniture (from their new pup) because they just didn't listen to our/any advice.

They're a stunning dog and we're blessed to have found such a great example. But make no mistake, they require a LOT of work. Usually at this time I'd be coming back from an 8-10k walk but as Hugo is recovering from surgery, we're chilling out this week.

Of the 4 Huskys I'd have regularly met in early 2012 with their owners, I haven't met any of them since last November. I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread about the numbers in pounds.

Lets hope the mantle of '2013 most fashionable dog' passes to a much more manageable breed!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hooked wrote: »
    And make sure and do your homework!!! Not having a go at anyone - just a few general points to anyone considering a Husky or similar.

When we first went looking 2 years ago, done deal backyard breeders were looking for 4-500 euros for anything related to a Husky.

They're now averaging 150-200 with many going free. This Christmas I was offered 2 separate Huskys for free while out walking! My girlfriends friend keeps emailing pics of the destruction to their walls and furniture (from their new pup) because they just didn't listen to our/any advice.

They're a stunning dog and we're blessed to have found such a great example. But make no mistake, they require a LOT of work. Usually at this time I'd be coming back from an 8-10k walk but as Hugo is recovering from surgery, we're chilling out this week.

Of the 4 Huskys I'd have regularly met in early 2012 with their owners, I haven't met any of them since last November. I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread about the numbers in pounds.

Lets hope the mantle of '2013 most fashionable dog' passes to a much more manageable breed!

I have to say I agree with this 100% and only for the advice of an outstanding member here I may have gotten myself a dog that I would not have been able to handle.I had always wanted a Husky or Mal but Isdw gave me advice that changed that view completely with regards to some issues at home that would have made owning a Mal or Husky not an easy task.

So to anyone thinking about a Husky--do your homework.

Hellrazer wrote: »

I have to say I agree with this 100% and only for the advice of an outstanding member here I may have gotten myself a dog that I would not have been able to handle.I had always wanted a Husky or Mal but Isdw gave me advice that changed that view completely with regards to some issues at home that would have made owning a Mal or Husky not an easy task.

So to anyone thinking about a Husky--do your homework.

Well put!!!

The reason Hugo suits us is that (A). I work 5 mins from home so longest he's alone is from 9-1 or 2-5.30. (B) we've no kids so he gets all our attention, and by attention, I mean exercise!!! And (C) apart from this 'post op' week, he's been out every day, twice a day since we got him.

I've changed the car, bought a bike, invested in doggie backpacks, various harnesses, lines, etc... and all to accommodate ONE husky.

They're definitely not for the faint hearted...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The fashion thing is an odd one. Being of advancing years *ahem* I have noticed changes over said years. I used to see Dobermans a lot more and haven't seen one in a long time. Irish wolfhounds used to be more common too. German shepherds while still on the go aren't nearly as popular as they once were. Huskies used to be quite the rarity to see, similar for the "pitbull" type doggie.

+1 on the Husky being a handful. Growing up in the late 70's I had a Norwegian Elkhound(like I say they were rare to see at the time), OK not a husky in the truest sense, but close enough and by god he was hard going. He wore me out and I was one hyper kid. Very destructive, no recall to speak of and very aggressive with smaller animals like cats and even smaller dogs. Great with people mind you.

The other part with breeds and of course this is just my humble, is that they can vary as individuals, sometimes wildly and this can catch people out. EG I knew a husky(Siberian) back in the day and he was near a lapdog. Not too pushed on exercise, good recall, no real prey drive to speak of and happiest laying around at home on the carpet, like a big hairy lump(didn't do him any harm either, the bugger lived well into his mid teens:)). So if you met just him and thought "I'd like one of them please" you'd likely be in for a right shock. I currently know a Jack Russell that is the single most laid back animal I've ever met. Like he's been eating the funny ciggies his owner favours from time to time... Just lays around all day with a big grin and his tongue hanging out. My uncle had a Doberman who was afraid of her own shadow. Zero "small dog" syndrome.

Basically don't go on just one example of any breed. Do research, check out the parents of the pup and other owners like those folks on here and other breed specific forums and that'll give you a better overall idea of what you're getting into.

There can(again IMHO) be an element of projection going on too with owners. If they expect breed A to be temperament A then the dog can sometimes select for that. The Pitbull type doggie a great example. In the hands of a small willied type with issues it's a "vicious" dog, yet with those that either know them well, or just expect a nice dog, they're a nice dog*. Very much the case with Rotties.

*Classic example was the case of the Portuguese couple, fond of hiking that picked up a stray puppy outside some mountain village on their travels. Brought her home and she settled into their apartment. She was a bit hyper and had more than the usual destruction going on, but they trained her to heel and walk and sit etc. She mellowed out and was a bit hyper but OK. Fast forward a few years when they had people over for dinner and one of the guests was a park ranger/forestry type/biologist(can't recall) and it turned out their "mad doggie" was an Iberian wolf. Yep. I'll try and dig up that link. I have it somewhere but it may require google translate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    T

The other part with breeds and of course this is just my humble, is that they can vary as individuals, sometimes wildly and this can catch people out.

Great reason to get an older rescue. You can pick a personality that suits your lifestyle!

And make sure and do your homework!
    +1 The comment i made about turning up to a pound and picking a Husky was a flippant one, meaning there's just so many lately that they're like 10 a penny. I couldn't agree with you more on doing your homework on any animal you bring into your home. It literally is life changing for them and for you so it's only fair on both parties that it's for the right reasons.

I've fostered a dog over Christmas (still have her and she's great) but i realistically know i can't keep her longterm, i cant have any dog permanently as i work long hours and my lifestyle just doesn't suit atm. You have NO IDEA how much i want a dog again but i will only get one permanently when i know it's right for both of us. As Hooked says below, this is what everyone should be able to say about themselves when they get a dog.

Well put!!!

The reason Hugo suits us is that (A). I work 5 mins from home so longest he's alone is from 9-1 or 2-5.30. (B) we've no kids so he gets all our attention, and by attention, I mean exercise!!! And (C) apart from this 'post op' week, he's been out every day, twice a day since we got him.

I've changed the car, bought a bike, invested in doggie backpacks, various harnesses, lines, etc... and all to accommodate ONE husky.

They're definitely not for the faint hearted...

This is what EVERYONE should be able to say when they get a dog, but for so many people they get one on a whim and a months down the line the illusion fades and the dog gets the brunt of it.

I've had lots of friends even knowing which rescue i volunteer for and why, still impulsively get pets they havent thought about and then try and hide it from me months later when it hasn't worked out. :confused:

Tis a bit odd the last few nights. I've been online more and this thread really sparked my interest tonight. Initially because the title was so 'on point' as the kids say!

Ironically I haven't been exercising Hugo, our Husky, as he's recovering from a tricky cryptorchidism neutering op.

And as bad as he's feeling on the floor beside me these past 3 nights, I'm feeling worse. It breaks my heart to see him out of sorts. I've a new bike in the hall & a pulling harness I'm mad to try now that he's been trained with sledding commands. A Ventlock for the car boot so we can all hit the beach in spring and I can watch him from the water when he's tired. I'm really missing the time we spend together. I'm sad I can't give him the freedom and personal space he loves. And I know he just wants to be out and active.

Dogs should really be part of the daily routine and given the love and attention they shower us with. And not an impulsive buy... Like that weights bench that became a clothes horse after a few months.

And if reading over my own replies has taught me anything tonight... It's that I'm done talking about it...

It's time to start thinking about baby number two!!!

So here's a pic of his lordship taken on Sunday last, before he went under the knife. Handsome and fashionable they may be... But like most pets, they are a long term commitment.

Now, I'd better brave the cold and take him to the loo before bedtime.

9B2C151D-5AB3-4A32-9BB5-E7A87AAC373E-3534-000001A64D40FFFB.jpg

Hooked he is ridiculously handsome!!!

• Advertisement

Hooked he is ridiculously handsome!!!

Thanks anniehoo... I appear to have deleted my post rather than edit it. Oops!

Advertisement