Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pi Project - Web Accessible Torrent Client / NAS?

Options
  • 09-01-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of using my Pi to build a download manager / nas.

I have an old one of these Seagate 160gb drives lying around somewhere that I plan to use for storage (perhaps with an upgraded HDD if that's possible):

seagate_160gb.jpg

The idea would be to leave the Pi plugged into my router, running a torrent client which I could preferably control via the net i.e. ability to send it .torrent files (or links to them) which it would then automatically open with the torrent client.

Anyone done anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This might be a useful starting point for any other Linux n00bs like myself attempting this:
    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54670

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Never done anything like this, but knowing linux in general this is a one day project. These days you don't need to install anything from the source, everything is in repositories, so it's just few lines in command prompt and you're done.
    You could think about adding other services such as No-Ip, make the server accessible from the outside world (ftp or similar) creating something like PogoPlug. The possibilities are endless really :)

If you want to use this (or any other) topic as a log, I'll be happy to help if you're stuck.

That was the primary idea alright: ability to add torrents to the download list from the work network / possibly even iPhone (if there's an SSH client available?).

For me, this is probably a few days of a project, I haven't been logged onto a linux terminal since I left NUI, Galway in 2003 and even then, I was very limited in what I could do with it!

I think a better idea would be to configure rtorrent to watch few remote folders for new torrent files, and when something is found to start download it. You would need to map few locations (i.e. your pc, smartphone, etc.) and scan for new torrent files. As rtorrent has this functionality built in (see for example here) all you need to think about is mapping remote folders.

This way you will not need any additional software on all devices. You can also think about some messaging system that would push a message when the torrent is fully downloaded.

Some really nice ideas there fl4pj4ck! Certainly more of a challenge than my original idea too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

qbittorrent has a lovely web based UI. All you would need to do is install a bog standard distro of any variety, install "qbittorrent-nox" from the repositories, open the relevant port on your router, then restrict incoming IP's in your /etc/hosts.allow file on the pi to your phone providers IP range and your home network IP range. That should allow you to upload torrents from your phone via the web interface.

rtorrent might be a better option if it has other functionality that you want. You could have it monitor a private dropbox folder for example (you could probably do that with any client).

I don't really use torrents tbh, except to get the occasional linux distro (true story :)). Linux is built for stuff like this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Check out torrentflux
    http://tf-b4rt.berlios.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

+1 for qBittorrent, there I was using Deluge and uTorrent through wine like a sucker!

I haven't tried it on any pi distros (or used my Pi at all recently) but I guess the debian based ones should work.

This thread might be of use if using dropbox
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21617

Like most Pi owners I asked for one for Christmas with no idea of what I was actually going to use it for. Had some vague notions of an XBMC install of some sort but then went and bought a HD telly that handles most media natively which makes having a stand-alone device a little pointless.

It's been a *LONG* time since I last used linux (think my last use of it would have been NUI, Galway's Compsoc server frink and I only really used my account as a php webserver). Re-aquainted myself with PuTTY last night and was able to connect to the Pi via ssh. I did an update/upgrade, change default passwords etc.

Managed to get no-ip installed (think I need to do some port-forwarding to make it work properly though). Struggling to install qbittorrent as it doesn't seem to come packaged with the distribution of Debian that came pre-installed on the SD card for the Pi. Can I use wget to download the binaries, unpack them with tar and compile/install it that way somehow?

I'm sure it'd be easier to log into the GUI and try install that way but it seems to go against the spirit of using the Pi as a learning tool!

• Advertisement

Managed to get no-ip installed (think I need to do some port-forwarding to make it work properly though)
    yes
    Can I use wget to download the binaries, unpack them with tar and compile/install it that way somehow?
    yes.:
    cd ~/home/user/[i]your_folder[/i]
    ./configure
    make
    make install

I'm guessing you will get a sh*tload of errors at first due to missing dependencies, you will need to work them out one by one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Khannie wrote: »
    qbittorrent has a lovely web based UI. All you would need to do is install a bog standard distro of any variety, install "qbittorrent-nox" from the repositories, open the relevant port on your router, then restrict incoming IP's in your /etc/hosts.allow file on the pi to your phone providers IP range and your home network IP range. That should allow you to upload torrents from your phone via the web interface.

rtorrent might be a better option if it has other functionality that you want. You could have it monitor a private dropbox folder for example (you could probably do that with any client).

I don't really use torrents tbh, except to get the occasional linux distro (true story :)). Linux is built for stuff like this though.
    Was just reading bout qbittorrent today!

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/450-2-bittorrent-client-downloads-applications-managers.html

Advertisement