Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thompson Router + no-ip.org

• 09-01-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

I am trying to access my computer from outside of the home. I have created an account with no-ip.org downloaded the dynamic updater, that works fine.

When I login to the router it has an option to enable dyndns, here I have two option. Disable or enable dyndns. Is it possible to enable this service with no-ip.org?

Or any advice on a work around.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Don't have the Thomson anymore, but as far as I recall, it only worked with DynDNS.

That being said, UPC's IP addresses rarely change. If you have your IP set up with no-ip, it probably wouldn't need to update for a while. My IP has only changed a handful of times in the past 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Thanks for the info.

I have opened port 80 but it still fails to connect so I assumed that the dns service must be enable or do I need to look at the ports again?

What are you trying to access remotely? A device? Remote desktop? An application?

Verify the port is open by entering your IP and the port you're trying to open on http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

I would like to access my imac remotely. I have set up vnc server that works on the LAN.

I have created a rule on the router to open the necessary ports 5800/5900. The VNC server connects locally but when I test the ports online it stats that they are in fact closed.

When adding the rules to router, do I need to create the rules based on the pc's ip address? Do I need to open the ports on the router and the computer?

Thanks again

T-K-O wrote: »
    I would like to access my imac remotely. I have set up vnc server that works on the LAN.

I have created a rule on the router to open the necessary ports 5800/5900. The VNC server connects locally but when I test the ports online it stats that they are in fact closed.

When adding the rules to router, do I need to create the rules based on the pc's ip address? Do I need to open the ports on the router and the computer?

Thanks again

When configuring port forwarding on the modem, you'll be asked to specify the port, and the IP address to forward the port to. The IP address will be that of the mac itself. Set a static IP on your Mac, so that it won't vary.
    If you have a firewall on your mac, you may have to create an exception rule to allow incoming connections via that port.

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    When configuring port forwarding on the modem, you'll be asked to specify the port, and the IP address to forward the port to. The IP address will be that of the mac itself. Set a static IP on your Mac, so that it won't vary.
    If you have a firewall on your mac, you may have to create an exception rule to allow incoming connections via that port.

Perfect, the ports for the vnc are now open. Ill test out some other services. Thanks for your help on this..

T-K-O wrote: »
    Perfect, the ports for the vnc are now open. Ill test out some other services. Thanks for your help on this..

No worries! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Since most routers only allows DynDns and you now need a CC to register an account you can use this website to setup one for free:

www.dlinkddns.com

the username and password on this website is the same as www.dyndns.org, just check your hosts/zones and you should see your dlink one!

Cheers for the link, Ill give that ago

Advertisement