Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best econony printer

Options
  • 09-01-2013 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭

Looking at replacing printer. Looking for advice on what is best value is terms of both purchase price & ongoing ink cost.

90% of the time I use black ink only. Wouldn't print on overage more than 30 pages per week.

Doesn't matter if it is wire or wireless. Shops seem to push you towards the ones with high ink turnover. Currently use Epsom DX3800 (expensive for ink !).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It's a bit tricky; Usually, the problem with cheap(ish) inkjet printers is exactly what we're talking about, they chug ink at alarming rates.

I had multiple HPs and Epsons, then I decided to try something different and got a Kodak C315. It is a nice solid printer, costs a bit more than the baseline ones (paid around 75 euro a few months ago), good printing quality but the most important thing is that the cartridges are reasonably priced - you can easily find the black for about 10 euro and the colors for 15-16. They go quite a good way, Kodak stated 300 pages on a black cartridge but the real world experience tells me it's more around 200; Still ok-ish for a 10 euro cartridge.

The only problem is that it doesn't work if one cartridge is empty - e.g. even if you want to print black and white, it won't if the colours are empty.

At 30 pages/week, I'm not sure if a laser would be a better idea; You can find laser printers in the 100-150 price bracket, but I have no idea what the related ink costs would be :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If you only use black look into a cheap laser. Toners last a good while, are quicker printers and are better than inkjet printers at "occasional use" as unlike inkjets lasers don't need to waste ink to ensure the nozzles don't block up. My advice is laser

Nick

Advertisement