Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can I buy Railway track ???

• 09-01-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,
    I was looking to buy some railway track, only about 5ft of it for a small project I'm working on. Has anybody got any ideas to where I could purchase some,or where to even look?

Thanks

(If I'm in the wrong thread please tell me)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

07redmondc wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was looking to buy some railway track, only about 5ft of it for a small project I'm working on. Has anybody got any ideas to where I could purchase some,or where to even look?

Thanks

Aldi have it on sale next Sunday :D

Contact Irish Rail's PW division; they may be able to sell you a small section. Be warned; you will need a lot of hands to move it and a flat truck or tractor and trailer as trackwork weighs a hell of a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Also you cannot get wooden sleepers anymore. They are a health risk, they can't legally sell them to you. So you are looking at 5ft of track with concrete sleepers. At 5ft long you will get 2 tops. Why a 5 ft square of track, what possible use could you get from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 07redmondc

I'm not looking for the wooden sleepers ,it's the metal tacks I'm after.

Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

For such a small qty, I'd check out the small ads, Donedeal/Adverts.ie/Echo Free Ads/Buy & Sell and look under farming stuff/building materials or DIY.
    Farmers use them a lot for putting up gates/sheds etc.

You can try Irish Rail, but expect red tape.

I would ask West Clare railway, Downpatrick, Cavan & Letrim, Waterford & Suir Valley before I would attempt asking Irish Rail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wooden sleeper are a health risk, what about all the garden centres you can get them from. My parents have over 20 between the two gardens, must ge them to tear them all up in case they die :rolleyes:

wooden sleeper are a health risk, what about all the garden centres you can get them from. My parents have over 20 between the two gardens, must ge them to tear them all up in case they die :rolleyes:

Creosote is toxic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Karsini wrote: »
    Creosote is toxic...
    As is the old trick of coating sleepers by immersion in old waste engine oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

and always has been know to be, so? it's still used to paint fences and sheds and deck and is readily available.

It is intended as a wood preservative, not a mouthwash.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I checked DoneDeal for ye, and found you can buy a 10 foot one for €50; http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/others/4389738

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Three points to make on this.

Where sleepers have been treated with creosote, it's illegal in some countries to simply dispose of them as they are classed as toxic waste; they must be sent for onward processing to render them safe. As a result, the likes Irish Rail can't simply flog them off as was once the case.

Not all sleepers have been treated in Creosote or treated to make them safer so it's quite possible that they are safe to pass on in the open market.

Lastly, the majority of sleepers on sale are sourced abroad and sold regardless of the risks involved. Certainly, Irish Rail have worked with cement sleepers almost exclusively over the last 20 years bar for a few sections of track so they don't have many timber ones to reuse as a rule.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

How many people in the last 150 years have been killed by Sleepers the Silent Killers?

Obviously it a hidden genocide. Good thing we have all these Quangos and H&S safety "authorities" saving our lives from such dangers.

and here I was worried about criminals...

Cresote is a carcinogen, they got that fact from testing lab rats by shaving some of their hair and applying cresote to the skin, so unless you're immersed in it, handle the wet stuff in your bare hands frequently or make a habit of licking sleepers it's just more EU / H&S hoo-hah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

and always has been know to be, so? it's still used to paint fences and sheds and deck and is readily available.

It's not available. There is only one company in Ireland licensed to use creosote, PDM in Kill.

Advertisement