Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options
  • 09-01-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just looking for some opinions if you don't mind...Well my gobsh1te Neighbor is at it again....

This time he is putting up a chicken wire fence in the front garden on top of a brick wall to deter our cats from sitting on the wall. Now I understand this is trivial to most, but he has put it up in such a way as to harm the cats, i.e. he did not cut off any sharp ends. And has left them out in order to harm the animals...

Do you think that there is anything that I can do. Maybe report him to the ISPCA for animal cruelty. The fence that he put up is also on top of a 7 foot wall which I am sure is illegal from him to erect in the front of a garden....

I understand that cats can be annoying and cats being cats will wander as we have several local in garden on a daily basis annoying our dog, so I don't need any opinions on the annoyance of cats, just the legality of what he has done....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Technically is it your wall or his wall?

Either way, cut yourself on it and threaten to sue him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Let him keep the wire fence up... he'll be sorry when all the mice are getting into his house and no one else's :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I always enjoy watching someone make their garden look like $hite just to stop the cats ruining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Supposedly orange peel will deter cats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Why does not liking cats make him a Gobsh1te ?

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

smash wrote: »

Fair question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If he's seriously that bothered by a small fluffy cute animal sitting on a 7ft wall, he's got mental issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

gurramok wrote: »
    If he's seriously that bothered by a small fluffy cute animal sitting on a 7ft wall, he's got mental issues.

How do you make that out ? maybe he's allergic

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

uch wrote: »

Because everyone who doesn't like cats is a gob****e, clearly.

OP ring your local county council and ask them if he requires planning permission to put up the 'extension' on top of the wall. He possibly does, even if it's just chicken wire and a few posts. Then you can have it taken down.

Alternatively, you could point all the sharp bits in so your cats will not be hurt and you can both live in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Take responsibility for your pet.

Why should he be happy to have your pet around his property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

smash wrote: »

Either way, cut yourself on it and threaten to sue him :D

Well i guess it is a boundary wall as it divides the two gardens.....
    and it really is not a big deal except for the fact that he is in particular trying to harm our two cats.... Again he has placed it in such a way as the barbs from the chicken wire will harm the animals....

DO we have any rights at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Or a gob****e.

Take responsibility for your pet.

Why should he be happy to have your pet around his property?

We do take responsibility for our animals but at the end of the day they are cats, and cats climb and annoy dogs and it is our wall as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

There's not liking cats and then there's setting out to hurt the poor things. Anyone who does that is a gobshite IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

OP, you should be grateful that your neighbour is considerate enough to try and deter the cats from entering his garden, some of us wouldn't be so accomodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tell him you tried explaining the situation to your cats. Then tell him the cats replied 'your cats? We're not your cats. You're our human. And that's our wall.' Then advise your neighbour to take your cats to court.

This actually makes sense. The cats don't care which human owns what. They just know they have a nice high wall on their patch. In other words, there's not a thing you can do to prevent this perfectly natural and perfectly harmless behaviour. The cats aren't capable of 'not being annoying'. Your neighbour is though. You could also gently remind him of this fact.

Another solution, which would drive your neighbour nuts, would be to install wooden fence segments, 1-2 inches higher than his chickenwire, on your side. With a nice flat comfy top. The cats would love that. Much better than a lumpy aul' wall!

It has nothing to do with not liking cats that make him a Prize Gobsh1te. He is what he is, a bitter old man with nothing better to do....

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A 7ft wall? That's almost twice the height of what is legally allowed to be erected at the front of a property. Did he seek planning permission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

attempt to put up trellis on your side of the wall - there's a very good chance you might cut yourself and have to threaten to sue him...

Agreed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

He doesn't want a cat sitting on a wall.. right.. does he not want hairs on it incase he wants to sit on it?

Either way I think your neighbour has far too much time on his hands, or needs the ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Well i guess it is a boundary wall as it divides the two gardens.....

No, it belongs to one of the houses, that's how it works. A wall on each side, you own one, your neighbor on whatever side owns the other. Check out the deeds to your house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Must be one very tall neighbour!

Harming the cats is animal abuse which in some cases leads the person doing the harming migrate to harming humans.

Because everyone who doesn't like cats is a gob****e, clearly.

OP ring your local county council and ask them if he requires planning permission to put up the 'extension' on top of the wall. He possibly does, even if it's just chicken wire and a few posts. Then you can have it taken down.

Alternatively, you could point all the sharp bits in so your cats will not be hurt and you can both live in peace.

Will do.... I will give them a ring first thing in the morning as I am sure they will have left by now ;) But surely if i take it upon myself to touch his fence then i'll be in the sh1t for messing with it... No doubt he will claim i damaged it somehow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ehhh, I think the cats will just do what they want..

They will in fact avoid the fence he has put up. and go elsewhere or the other x3 walls you have.

The only problem here is yours. I doubt the cats are actually bothered.

OP. there are other things to get worked up about go do that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hi All,
    ..but he has put it up in such a way as to harm the cats, i.e. he did not cut off any sharp ends. And has left them out in order to harm the animals...

He could be just unaware the dangers they pose since he's not exactly fond of cats and probably not proficient in chicken wire installation - to suggest their is malice in his actions is ridiculous until you've already pointed out to him that the barbs left will cause harm to your animals and he doesn't do anything.

Where To wrote: »
    OP, you should be grateful that your neighbour is considerate enough to try and deter the cats from entering his garden, some of us wouldn't be so accomodating.

He can do it in such a way as not to deliberately hurt the animal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Does he have any young babies in the house?
    Cats/cat litter can carry some disease that can threaten babies.

Also, some phobias aren't rational, or he doesn't like the idea of a cat wandering near his property potentially trying to get in an open door or window.

But animal cruelty? :rolleyes:
    He hasn't injured any animal, you'll be laughed at for that one.
    As an alternative, maybe painting the top of the wall with sticky anti-burglar paint would deter a cat from messing up its fur.

awec wrote: »
    A 7ft wall? That's almost twice the height of what is legally allowed to be erected at the front of a property. Did he seek planning permission?

Only about 1.5 meters of the wall is 7ft high, on our side mind, maybe 6 on their side and then gradually steps down to 3.5ft. He did also erect a 6 foot timber fence along his side of the wall all the way dividing the 2 properties of which i know is not legal but we were delighted not to be able to see the boll*x in all fairness.....

• Advertisement

planetX wrote: »
    attempt to put up trellis on your side of the wall - there's a very good chance you might cut yourself and have to threaten to sue him...

I like your style....:D

Advertisement