Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

dj jarvis wrote: »
    but but but ........... you have missed out the part about wanting to SHOOT your elderly neighbours dog !!!
    come on , tell us more

I don't own a gun or rifle or anything like that... Just airing it because there is nothing more irritating than a dog's yapping especially when you get the younger kids to bed and then when you try to sleep yourself and he is still yapping....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Fair enough , not putting a strong case forward i grant you

Dead, we only had it a couple of weeks

Yes i have checked and it is illegal to erect a fence in your front garden over 4 foot....

No its not one rule for me and one for everyone else... If a cat comes onto my property i will shoo it away. They tend to be feral cats who are left out all the time. Ours are house cats and are clean

The wall is our property.....

Will do....

He hasn't got anything on me because i haven't done anything on him except put him down in front of my son....

If it is your wall you are fully entitled to have the fence removed. However, you also have a responsibility to prevent your animals going onto his property. You have previously lost a pet due to this so i do not understand why you are not more diligent.

In a previous thread you indicated you would like to either run over his dogs or shoot them with an air rifle. How can you not see that as hypocritical?
    I don't own a gun or rifle or anything like that... Just airing it because there is nothing more irritating than a dog's yapping especially when you get the younger kids to bed and then when you try to sleep yourself and he is still yapping....

There are legal alternatives available to you, the council would have forced him to purchase a barking collar. You may be just venting, but given what you claim here your earlier posts paint you in a bad light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

uch wrote: »
    How do you make that out ? maybe he's allergic

In that case he should stop sniffing the cat! You can't really be allergic to a cat that's sitting outside on a wall. It's only an issue with people who have reactions to cat dander (dust from dead skin cells) and they would really need to be living in your house to have that kind of reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

never trust someone who has a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

megafan wrote: »
    Is that the little wire fence all this hassle is over?? Mind Boggles!!

I imagine some sort of Alcatraz-style superstructure...this is nothing. It actually looks better than the wall itself!

• Advertisement

megafan wrote: »
    Is that the little wire fence all this hassle is over?? Mind Boggles!!
    I agree, absolutely crazy, right.... Still an eyesore though... Never meant for so many people to get involved....

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

This thread went from being mildly interesting to an absolute scream.

Berlin Wall, foreign sh1t v Irish, to bury or not to bury the sh1t, shooting / electrocuting / poisoning cats.

Tons of great replies and opinions.

Restores my faith in AH.

cofy wrote: »
    Is it possible that the neighbours dog was barking at your cat, and if you complained to them about their dog barking it looks like they took measures to stop their dog from barking at your cat. A calm chat with your neighbour would more than likely sort out the situation.

No the barking is not due to our cats... Not saying never, but a large majority of the time the cats are asleep in the house, particularly of an evening and night time.... Their dogs seem to bark at any little noise at all and because they never get out of their back garden they are probably going mad.... and it's not the dogs fault either....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Even lion-o?

Hes the worst. Acting the hero. Off screen hes a nightmare. I hear the show soul Gav still been on only for his ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've read the thread and your responses. I agree with him, he shoudlnt have to put up with someone else's cat pissing and ****ting on his property. You seem to think its ok to be an irresponsible animal owner - FYI, it is not.

Its not irresponsible, its part of urban living that cats roam around gardens just like rats, mice and birds do. And not all cats have an owner, some are feral.

When you see a cat, do you distinguish between it being a neighbours cat or a feral cat?? Its possible that the neighbours cat is not sh1tting at all, the garden owner is just biased against the neighbour and using the supposed cats bad behaviour to pick an argument!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Where To wrote: »
    OP, you should be grateful that your neighbour is considerate enough to try and deter the cats from entering his garden, some of us wouldn't be so accomodating.

And what would you do ?

I love the big talk on after hours, its hilarious.

Its a ****ing cat, cats go out and roam around walls. We have a cat that roams around, bothers nothing or nobody. Neighbours cats come into our garden, and even into the kitchen during the summer looking for some food.

Seriously I love how people as the years go by, want to be more isolated in their property, and in their own little bubble.

Probably the same sort of **** that roar at kids when a ball goes into their garden once in a blue moon.

Still would like to know what you would do. I know my mother considers our cat as part of the family, and if anyone touched it my old fella would have them in A&E so fast :D

If it is your wall you are fully entitled to have the fence removed. However, you also have a responsibility to prevent your animals going onto his property. You have previously lost a pet due to this so i do not understand why you are not more diligent.

I agree with you and if i thought the cats were going to put themselves in danger then i would do something about it.... and our cats very very rarely go near their front garden...
    In a previous thread you indicated you would like to either run over his dogs or shoot them with an air rifle. How can you not see that as hypocritical?

Absolutely agree with you again... I was only ranting and raving and I would never ever injure an animal intentionally.... I think it must be the sleep deprivation driving me mad.....
    There are legal alternatives available to you, the council would have forced him to purchase a barking collar. You may be just venting, but given what you claim here your earlier posts paint you in a bad light.
    I know... I do seem to be contradicting myself, but not intentionally...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

gurramok wrote: »
    Its not irresponsible, its part of urban living that cats roam around gardens just like rats, mice and birds do. And not all cats have an owner, some are feral.

When you see a cat, do you distinguish between it being a neighbours cat or a feral cat?? Its possible that the neighbours cat is not sh1tting at all, the garden owner is just biased against the neighbour and using the supposed cats bad behaviour to pick an argument!

And it's also possible that it IS the OP's cat ****ting everywhere....

Point is, OP should prevent their cat going onto neighbour's property (whether it has done it before or not, doesn't matter) and then there's no problem except for the neighbour and his gammy looking wall.

Or is there something I'm missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

TheDoc wrote: »
    And what would you do ?

Its a ****ing cat, cats go out and roam around walls. We have a cat that roams around, bothers nothing or nobody. Neighbours cats come into our garden, and even into the kitchen during the summer looking for some food.

Seriously I love how people as the years go by, want to be more isolated in their property, and in their own little bubble.

Probably the same sort of **** that roar at kids when a ball goes into their garden once in a blue moon.

Still would like to know what you would do. I know my mother considers our cat as part of the family, and if anyone touched it my old fella would have them in A&E so fast :D
    In some ways my backyard is the Bermuda Triangle of the cat world. No one knows if the actually went through it or not, but sometimes they disappear without a trace, never to be heard of again.

Why are you changing the goalposts? I said, clearly, that i agreed that people should be responsible for their animals. You have not once said that you agree with this and insist that all cats should be allowed to do as they please.
    I agree with you and if i thought the cats were going to put themselves in danger then i would do something about it.... and our cats very very rarely go near their front garden...

Absolutely agree with you again... I was only ranting and raving and I would never ever injure an animal intentionally.... I think it must be the sleep deprivation driving me mad.....

I know... I do seem to be contradicting myself, but not intentionally...

I approve of this response, lets cuddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

TheDoc wrote: »

And what would you do ?

My solution, no mercey....

Why are you changing the goalposts? I said, clearly, that i agreed that people should be responsible for their animals. You have not once said that you agree with this and insist that all cats should be allowed to do as they please.

Cats roam, its natural to them. You know how animals behave don't you?

So there is no proof that the neighbours cat is polluting the back garden and it could be a feral cat instead. I suggest to erect 24\7 CCTV coverage to catch the cat in the act as proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

So there is no proof that the neighbours cat is polluting the back garden and it could be a feral cat instead. I suggest to erect 24\7 CCTV coverage to catch the cat in the act as proof.

Dogs hunt in packs, it's natural to them, Should we allow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Hi All,
    Just looking for some opinions if you don't mind...Well my gobsh1te Neighbor is at it again....

This time he is putting up a chicken wire fence in the front garden on top of a brick wall to deter our cats from sitting on the wall. Now I understand this is trivial to most, but he has put it up in such a way as to harm the cats, i.e. he did not cut off any sharp ends. And has left them out in order to harm the animals...

Do you think that there is anything that I can do.

Yes. Get rid of your stupid cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Cats roam, its natural to them. You know how animals behave don't you?.

Dogs roam, they kill sheep, it's natural to them. You know how animals behave don't you?

By your argument it is the sheep farmer's responsibility to dog-proof his/her farm or just put up with dogs roaming freely, instead of dog-owners rightly being held responsible for controlling their pets.

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    never trust someone who has a cat
    Never trust anyone who has SPUNGE for a Name.....:)

Who gives a monkeys if cats roam? Responsible owners should be looking after them properly. The posts you were referring to specifically mentions cats who's owners allow them to roam, not feral cats.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Dogs roam, they kill sheep, it's natural to them. You know how animals behave don't you?

By your argument it is the sheep farmer's responsibility to dog-proof his/her farm or just put up with dogs roaming freely, instead of dog-owners rightly being held responsible for controlling their pets.

No my argument is cat owners should be responsible for their cats, just as dog owners are responsible for their dogs.

It is possible to train cats, but the cat lovers just seem to gloss over this fact, more than likely because they can't be bothered, while using the excuse, roaming is what they do

B0jangles wrote: »

Dogs don't roam in packs across back gardens. What we're talking about is a single neighbours cat who goes out on his own to roam, doing no harm to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well before i sign off on this as it has gotten way out of hand....

1) Our cat pisses and sh*ts in OUR garden - Not his - So lets get that out of the way for anyone concerned about the pissing and sh*tting, so no more please...

2) He put up a chicken wire fence illegally without planning permission -or is that legal now

3) I seem to have come across as being a neighbour from hell - well i can assure you that i am not. But from his point of view i am a neighbour from hell because i mouthed off at him and put him down in front of a teenager and i can 100% see his point on that. I have apologized numerous times since...

4) Yes our cat sits on the wall and looks down on the dogs inside his side passageway from time to time....

5) Our cats very rarely go out side our garden at all and once in a blue moon have climbed his tree.... but I am sure they have figured out what type of a human he is by now....

6) Does the chicken wire fence look sh*t - YES .... I have already obliged him and let him keep up the wooden fence already, (which was put up illegaly) but this really takes the biscuit and the cats can still get up on the wall and view the dogs....

7) Is the Neighbour trying get at me and use the cats as an excuse - Absolutely 100%

For the third time in this thread, did you apologise to your neighbour for trespassing on his property?

Dogs don't roam in packs across back gardens. What we're talking about is a single neighbours cat who goes out on his own to roam, doing no harm to anyone.

Who are you to say it does no harm? Have you been following it in camo lycra? Pull the other one, its got bells on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Boombastic wrote: »
    No my argument is cat owners should be responsible for their cats, just as dog owners are responsible for their dogs.

It is possible to train cats, but the cat lovers just seem to gloss over this fact, more than likely because they can't be bothered, while using the excuse, roaming is what they do

I agree with you 100% I was trying to illustrate how ridiculous the "cats roam, its nature!" argument when applies to pretty much any other domestic animal.

But they are obviously bothering the neighbour if he goes to the bother of putting up a fence to keep them out

Who gives a monkeys if cats roam? Responsible owners should be looking after them properly. The posts you were referring to specifically mentions cats who's owners allow them to roam, not feral cats.

The back garden owner was giving out about the neighbours cat dirtying in the back garden. I asked a valid question, how does he know that it is the neighbours cat and not a feral cat?

Where is the proof, pic\video footage perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

How the **** can chewbacca live on endor???? HE IS A ****ING WOOKIE! !!! it just doesn't add up.

Advertisement