Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Poisoned pork chop over the wall always does it for me.

Animal problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

gurramok wrote: »
    The back garden owner was giving out about the neighbours cat dirtying in the back garden. I asked a valid question, how does he know that it is the neighbours cat and not a feral cat?

Where is the proof, pic\video footage perhaps?

Maybe he used his eyes? Its irrelevant anyway, you think its ok to allow cats to do as they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Dogs don't roam in packs across back gardens. What we're talking about is a single neighbours cat who goes out on his own to roam, doing no harm to anyone.

I'm speaking from my own experience of reguarly encountering multiple neighbours cats in my garden, crapping in the flowerbeds and killing fish in my pond. Again you are trying to treat cats as a super-special exception when it comes to owners taking responsibility for their pet's behaviour.

They shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Cats roam, its natural to them. You know how animals behave don't you?

So there is no proof that the neighbours cat is polluting the back garden and it could be a feral cat instead. I suggest to erect 24\7 CCTV coverage to catch the cat in the act as proof.

Most if not all animals roam, I dont really see what your point is here. .

Your appear to be extremely bias for cats and you are suggesting that there is one set of rules for cats and others for other pets. There are some people being aggresive towards cats, but there are also people making fair objective points that a cat owner should be more responsible for their own cat. .

I am a dog lover but I get annoyed when people let their dogs run around unattended in our estate. . Why should it be any differant for cats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Cats roam, its natural to them. You know how animals behave don't you?

So there is no proof that the neighbours cat is polluting the back garden and it could be a feral cat instead. I suggest to erect 24\7 CCTV coverage to catch the cat in the act as proof.

Whatever, seriously. It's just that some people, usually cat lovers/owners, do not want to understand or just can't. Perhaps it's because of the cat-poo-carried parasite infecting their brains and making them like the meowing furbags a little bit more than it would be rationally advisable to.

Cats roam because it is NATURAL to them? Then nobody should even own a cat - it s NOT natural for them to live in an home. Dogs should be allowed to roam in packs, hunt and have their fun, it is NATURAL to them.

Just be honest for once and admit:

IT IS VERY CONVENIENT TO PINPOINT ANY SHORTCOMINGS IN THE CARE OF MY PETS ON THEIR "NATURAL BEHAVIOUR".

I know quite a few people that own or used to own cats. They all let the cats roam whenever they want, wherever they want; They all won't accept any kind of complaints nor responsibility.

The animal goes out and disappears for hours, then they have the nerve to say "ah, but the cat doesn't really go far, stays around and doesn't go in the neighbours or anything". I wonder if they all have hyper-technological "camera-cat" installed on the felines, in order to be so sure about what fluffy did and where he/she went in the two hours it went missing.

The cat trespasses into the neighbour's garden and kills their pet rabbit or bird? "Ah sure what can you do, it's what cats do". The neighbour's dog rips the cat to shreds in his own property? "Bloody murder, you should have restrained your monstrous beast! I'm calling the Garda on you! Let the army put the vile dog down! I just switched on my Bat-signal, let you deal with the Dark Knight himself!"

Honestly, you are not doing any favour to yourselves. Nor the cats, as a matter of fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Where To wrote: »
    In some ways my backyard is the Bermuda Triangle of the cat world. No one knows if the actually went through it or not, but sometimes they disappear without a trace, never to be heard of again.

HAHA :D

In fairness though, I know people arn't animal lovers, and I know people nowadays get REALLY anal about their " personal space" but there are some things that make me drop my head at society.

If a cat is tearing or scratching your grass, pissing all over the shop then fair enough.

If its sitting on the wall, or even if it gets into your back garden just sitting having a stare, what's the problem?

Last summer there was a noticeable rise in the amount of neighbours losing their **** with footballs (you know the ****ty plastic balloon ones) bouncing of cars or windows. The balls that have the same imapct of a sponge.

Dont know what it is, everyone seems to have become so isolated and hostile when it comes to their property, completely forgetting what kids do , or in the original case here, cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Maybe he used his eyes? Its irrelevant anyway, you think its ok to allow cats to do as they wish.

No, cats do wear bells so birds don't be harmed. Thats a responsible owner putting the bell on.
    B0jangles wrote: »
    I'm speaking from my own experience of reguarly encountering multiple neighbours cats in my garden, crapping in the flowerbeds and killing fish in my pond. Again you are trying to treat cats as a super-special exception when it comes to owners taking responsibility for their pet's behaviour.

They shouldn't be.

Birds can kill your fish too when they divebomb into your pond. In fact any creature can kill them as its out in the open. As said earlier, lay some safe environmental and animal friendly anti-cat repellant into your garden and the cat would not step down from the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I think I'll start keeping pigeons, if my neighbour complains about them sh1tting in their garden or on their washing, I'll just shrug my shoulders and say that's what pigeons do

And buffalo naturally roam, should mr. hunky dory let his herd out? Sure it's what they do

No, cats do wear bells so birds don't be harmed. Thats a responsible owner putting the bell on.

Birds can kill your fish too when they divebomb into your pond. In fact any creature can kill them as its out in the open. As said earlier, lay some safe environmental and animal friendly anti-cat repellant into your garden and the cat would not step down from the wall.

So again, it's up to me to control your cat? How's about you behave like a responsible adult and control your own effing pet?*

*The "me" and "you" in this sentence are standing for every irritated neighbour vs. the "my cat needs to roam!" cat-owner

And yes, wild birds can and do hunt fish in ponds, but they are wild animals not other people uncontrolled pets. Indeed, a bear could escape from the zoo and eat my pet fish so why am I complaining about cats hunting them? (seriously, this was an argment made in the old thread...)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

TheDoc wrote: »

In fairness though, I know people arn't animal lovers, and I know people nowadays get REALLY anal about their " personal space" but there are some things that make me drop my head at society.

If a cat is tearing or scratching your grass, pissing all over the shop then fair enough.

If its sitting on the wall, or even if it gets into your back garden just sitting having a stare, what's the problem?

Last summer there was a noticeable rise in the amount of neighbours losing their **** with footballs (you know the ****ty plastic balloon ones) bouncing of cars or windows. The balls that have the same imapct of a sponge.

Dont know what it is, everyone seems to have become so isolated and hostile when it comes to their property, completely forgetting what kids do , or in the original case here, cats.

This is a very big assumption . . I moved house because of a number of things a neighbour did that individually mightnt sound like much but overall accounted to anti social behavior and invading my privacy . . Sometimes people going mad at things that can seem trivial are based out of a misplaced anger from something else that is annoying them that they havent dealt with . . And even if its an overprotective parent or a non animal lover, whats wrong with not wanting somebody elses pet on your property ?

Incidentally, I have stated on numerous occasions that cats roaming around my estate mean I have to keep a closer eye on my rabbits when I let them have a run around the back and the local cats on the back wall drives my (and neighbours) dogs demented. . I dont care if a cat is sitting on a wall or on a shed, I care when it drives my dogs mad. If I choose to have pets, I have as much right to make my house and their environment as comfortable as possible. I dont see what is wrong with it . .

• Advertisement

How about people keep their animals under control and i will worry about the wild ones in my garden? if I know it is your cat that is causing problems then surely i have recourse to insist you resolve the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

You don't really get it do you?

The vast majority of us that don't like cats are, in fact, animal lovers.

We just want you to take responsibilty for your own ****ing cat and keep it the **** off our property, or harm may come to it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

The amounts of devil's advocates on this thread is pathetic and sad. I'm off to reddit.

I get where your coming from, you have an issue with cats.

What you don't seem to be getting is that house cats have a tendency to roam around the vicinity of the house, which includes climbing walls, sheds etc.

You don't take your cat on a walk, your cat gets its exercise from these excursions. Do you want for owners to walk out the back , with the cat, on a leash and do circles of the back garden.

If a cat is tearing up your grass scratching, ****ting or pissing in your property then fair enough. However if its a cat walking across your back wall, get a ****ing grip will ya.

I get where your coming from, you have an issue with cats.

Stop right there, the issue is with irresponsible owners.

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is a very big assumption . . I moved house because of a number of things a neighbour did that individually mightnt sound like much but overall accounted to anti social behavior and invading my privacy . . Sometimes people going mad at things that can seem trivial are based out of a misplaced anger from something else that is annoying them that they havent dealt with . . And even if its an overprotective parent or a non animal lover, whats wrong with not wanting somebody elses pet on your property ?

Incidentally, I have stated on numerous occasions that cats roaming around my estate mean I have to keep a closer eye on my rabbits when I let them have a run around the back and the local cats on the back wall drives my (and neighbours) dogs demented. . I dont care if a cat is sitting on a wall or on a shed, I care when it drives my dogs mad. If I choose to have pets, I have as much right to make my house and their environment as comfortable as possible. I dont see what is wrong with it . .

That's 100% fine by my book. You have rabbits, there is an obvious conflict there. I wouldn't expect my cat to be given free reign, and force you to keep them in a pen without letting them have a run about.

That is just having a bit of dialogue and conversation, and working it out.

As you say yourself there though, some minimal things come from misplaced anger from somewhere else, at the same time, doesn't justify the anger or correctness of the original "trigger".

Well is it, because there is a grossly inaccurate description of an irresponsible owner throughout the thread.

Maybe it is from people who don't own cats. But you can't keep your cat in the house 24/7, and you cant take it for a walk. So you let it out the back and it goes for a stroll

As I said if your cat is acting the maggot fair enough, but posters expecting people to "restrict" their cat from climbing a wall or a sitting on a shed, how they exercise their muscles and keep flexible, need to get a grip in fairness.

I'd go as far as saying the equivalent is someone walking their dog, it momentarily walking into my front garden for a sniff and me loosing my **** over it.

Also, for the context of my quote in that post, the quotee, clearly stated he didn't like cats.....

Ergo, the issue is with an individual who does not like cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Well is it, because there is a grossly inaccurate description of an irresponsible owner throughout the thread.

Maybe it is from people who don't own cats. But you can't keep your cat in the house 24/7, and you cant take it for a walk. So you let it out the back and it goes for a stroll

As I said if your cat is acting the maggot fair enough, but posters expecting people to "restrict" their cat from climbing a wall or a sitting on a shed, how they exercise their muscles and keep flexible, need to get a grip in fairness.

I'd go as far as saying the equivalent is someone walking their dog, it momentarily walking into my front garden for a sniff and me loosing my **** over it.

Why can't you bring it for a walk on a lead?

But you can't keep your cat in the house 24/7

Yes you can - millions of cats all over America are 100% indoor housecats and live long, happy lives.
    and you cant take it for a walk

Yes you can - many cats have been successfully trained to walk on leashes, it just takes a bit of effort, a concept which appears to be completely alien to a majority of irish cat-owners, if those posting here are at all representative.

• Advertisement

Many people have indoor only cats. You could take your cat for a walk on a leash but I cant imagine that turning out well :p You can also securely fence off your garden and that should be the norm. I'm not sure why its acceptable to allow a cat to roam about freely and claim any issues are not your problem cos "they are just cats" - its just passing the buck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

How about people keep their animals under control and i will worry about the wild ones in my garden? if I know it is your cat that is causing problems then surely i have recourse to insist you resolve the issues.

How would you know it is my cat, you picked out in a ID parade or something?!

If you're gonna blame my cat for dirtying in your garden, i'd expect DNA evidence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

The back garden owner was giving out about the neighbours cat dirtying in the back garden. I asked a valid question, how does he know that it is the neighbours cat and not a feral cat?

Where is the proof, pic\video footage perhaps?

becasue i know what the neighbours cat looks like , i even know what it looks like as it ****s , becasue i have SEEN him do , now tell me , would you like DNA proof also ?

you are flogging a dead horse - what point are you trying to make ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do you not know what "territorial" means or something?

OP, your little war of attrition is goign to end up with your cats being removed for being a nuisance. Your neighbour is perfectly entitled to have them trapped and removed if they continue to wander onto his property because you have not taken reasonable precautions to prevent it after being requested to do so.

In the context of the OP the cat's territory extends past it's owners backgarden, in their heads they see neighbours property as being part of their patch. That's what I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Can you post of pic of your neighbour's erection?

How would you know it is my cat, you picked out in a ID parade or something?!

If you're gonna blame my cat for dirtying in your garden, i'd expect DNA evidence :)

DNA evidence is too expensive, you will have to camp out with me in a tent in the back garden and listen while i pontificate on responsible ownership. I'll provide biscuits though.
    In the context of the OP the cat's territory extends past it's owners backgarden, in their heads they see neighbours property as being part of their patch. That's what I meant.

Then ensure your cats territory is only your own garden.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Yes you can - millions of cats all over America are 100% indoor housecats and live long, happy lives.

Agreed, don't know why I said house cat, I know there are cats that live inside all the time. Mistake on my part.

Save to assume majority of cats in Ireland are not indoor cats? Genuinely dont know personally.

Yes you can - many cats have been successfully trained to walk on leashes, it just takes a bit of effort, a concept which appears to be completely alien to a majority of irish cat-owners, if those posting here are at all representative.

I've never, ever, ever seen one in the flesh.
    I'd be interested to know how popular this is, or if its a weird niche that your assuming we are lazy in not doing.

If I wanted an animal to walk around the street on a leash...I'd buy a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This thread is not only proof that dogs are better than cats, it also proves that dog owners are better people than cat owners.
    In general anyway, there were a few cat owners that were responsible earlier in the thread.
    Boombastic wrote: »
    No my argument is cat owners should be responsible for their cats, just as dog owners are responsible for their dogs.

It is possible to train cats, but the cat lovers just seem to gloss over this fact, more than likely because they can't be bothered, while using the excuse, roaming is what they do

Funny that the "cats roam, it's what they do" people think cats are untrainable, but I bet you €100 the same people have trained the same cats to not shít in their houses.

I've never, ever, ever seen one in the flesh.
    I'd be interested to know how popular this is, or if its a weird niche that your assuming we are lazy in not doing.

Its super effective -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Can you post of pic of your neighbour's erection?

don't see how that would help :D

c'mon now it's after hours not animals and pets forum!

I dont hate cats but their owners are generally careless for other pet owners concerns in my ongoing experience of them.

Advertisement