Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Porkchop McGee

aaakev wrote: »
    shooting when done right is one of the most humane ways to kill an animal, they dont feel a thing.
    Apart from the ones who hear the bang, I assume, who have to be alive to hear, no?

Would the humane thing not be leaving them the **** alone and spending time with your family, or helping at a soup kitchen, skydive for charity, something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Apart from the ones who hear the bang, I assume, who have to be alive to hear, no?

Would the humane thing not be leaving them the **** alone and spending time with your family, or helping at a soup kitchen, skydive for charity, something like that?

or make them in to pork chops?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

gurramok wrote: »
    How do you know they are not pet birds?

Why kill, have you got a lust for killing? Use a scarecrow, scaring is better than killing and more humane.

Scarecrows don't work. I never said I killed it, or that my parents did. You live in the city maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I do all that but i also enjoy hunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Scarecrows don't work. I never said I killed it, or that my parents did. You live in the city maybe?

Yes living in the city which usually where there are disputes between neighbours who live close together like in semi-detached housing :)

• Advertisement

Yes living in the city which usually where there are disputes between neighbours who live close together like in semi-detached housing :)
    Ok, crows are vermin and can legally be trapped and killed. You also find tons of them lying about dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Yyyyyaaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnn.

Talk about going off on a tangent!!!!

red sean wrote: »
    Yyyyyaaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnn.

Talk about going off on a tangent!!!!

Its kinda related! If someone animal is on your property you can trap it to remove it.

Its kinda related! If someone animal is on your property you can trap it to remove it.

You can scare it off also which is preferable;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

How do you know they are not pet birds?

Because you need a licence to have in your possesion wild native birds in ireland.

• Advertisement

You can scare it off also which is preferable;)

That's what they are doing. Dead crows are a great deterrent to other crows. Anywho, back on track. Pet owners should be responsible for their pets.

EireIceMan wrote: »
    Because you need a licence to have in your possesion wild native birds in ireland.

So? How will your average Joe and Jane distinguish which birds that sh1t in teh garden are licenced by owners or not?
    That's what they are doing. Dead crows are a great deterrent to other crows. Anywho, back on track. Pet owners should be responsible for their pets.

Just scare the cats away, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Cats have no protection, you can trap them all day long and have them put down or kill them yourself humainly and no law is broken

Would go check that again. Feral cats have no protection currently under Irish law, but if one decided to just start trapping and killing domestic cats you can find yourself in a bit of legal bother depending on the circumstances.

The new Animal Health & Welfare Bill that is in it's final stages looks like it will be offering even further protection to domestic cats, and possibly may have something with regards to feral cats.

So? How will your average Joe and Jane distinguish which birds that sh1t in teh garden are licenced by owners or not?

Because, using commn sense here, if you go to the trouble and expense of getting the licence from the NPWS, and build avairys, you're not going to just release them:rolleyes:
    Oh that and the fact they 'd have rings:rolleyes:
    Come on its not rocket science.

Yea, that will work:rolleyes:
    Not a cat owner no?

:D:D:D

I can tell the difference between a tit and a parrot:pac:

I'd like a more final solution than having to spend my spare time scaring cats

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would go check that again. Feral cats have no protection currently under Irish law, but if one decided to just start trapping and killing domestic cats you can find yourself in a bit of legal bother depending on the circumstances.

How do you distinguish between a healthy looking feral and a domestic with no collar? Very grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

dj jarvis wrote: »
    ooooohhhhh bamboo , i like your style
    must try that - good TTHHHWWWAAAACCCKKKK - MEOW from that :D
    You're a horrible human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Kess73 wrote: »

The new Animal Health & Welfare Bill that is in it's final stages looks like it will be offering even further protection to domestic cats, and possibly may have something with regards to feral cats.
    With rights come responsebilities, dont want your pet cat to be mistaken for a feral? Keep it on your property

Because, using commn sense here, if you go to the trouble and expense of getting the licence from the NPWS, and build avairys, you're not going to just release them:rolleyes:
    Oh that and the fact they 'd have rings:rolleyes:
    Come on its not rocket science.
    How do you distinguish between a healthy looking feral and a domestic with no collar? Very grey area.

You answered your own question there using my post as backup! Birds can escape and its very hard to distinguish between licenced birds and non-licensed ones unless you use a binoculars looking into your back garden :rolleyes:

Boombastic wrote: »
    I'd like a more final solution than having to spend my spare time scaring cats

You have 3 options, scare the cat away or talk to it(whatever way you wish :P). Hurting it is a no-no. The 3rd option is to properly fence your garden in away from all types of animals\rodents\insects\birds etc.

• Advertisement

I'll see the ring on their leg, anyway not many wild birds in the garden due to the cats scaring them away and killing them:(

You have 3 options, scare the cat away or talk to it(whatever way you wish :P). Hurting it is a no-no. The 3rd option is to properly fence your garden in away from all types of animals\rodents\insects\birds etc.

4. option: Bring it to the vet and get it pts

The 3rd option is your responsibility not mine, you need to properly protect your own animals. I think i would personally go with trapping if they were causing a serious nuisance. I would be pretty confident that the majority of people would go with option 1 - scaring the cat away with a rock.

You answered your own question there using my post as backup! Birds can escape and its very hard to distinguish between licenced birds and non-licensed ones unless you use a binoculars looking into your back garden :rolleyes:

Yes, and you used my reply about cats to kess not birds:rolleyes: and without a licence, you cant trap wild native birds. Why you wouldnt want a songbird in your yard is beyond me.
    Anyway, a wild bird escapes, you have barely any chance of getting it back.

I think i would personally go with trapping if they were causing a serious nuisance. I would be pretty confident that the majority of people would go with option 1 - scaring the cat away with a rock.

A lovely gentle creature is no threat to you, it can't be a serious nuisance.

You meant a pebble not a rock, thats fine.

Why can't it? I don't see your logic. If, for example, a cat is in every day crapping in someones veg bed and disturbing the seeds that is a serious nuisance. Do carrots not have rights too?

I think you underestimate peoples cruelty btw. As a pet owner i do my best to look out for my animals, i do not assume everyone else will. At the end of the day the animals welfare is my responsibility.

Look, i have cats that come into my yard. I dont care tbh, but if people dont want them in their yard its their choice.
    Just because you love cats, dosnt mean the whole neighbourhood wants them in their yard

Yes, and you used my reply about cats to kess not birds:rolleyes: and without a licence, you cant trap wild native birds. Why you wouldnt want a songbird in your yard is beyond me.
    Anyway, a wild bird escapes, you have barely any chance of getting it back.

Songbirds are very welcome in my yard. They have beautiful voices just like any cat, all welcome. If I didn't want a songbird in my yard, i'd fence off my yard properly to prevent them naturally landing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

With rights come responsebilities, dont want your pet cat to be mistaken for a feral? Keep it on your property

A similar responsibility falls onto the person who wishes to kill the animal. They have to be able to prove that they made an effort to find out who owned the animal, and that if they knew who the owner was that they tried to explain the problem. Within reason of course.

But what you said was that a person could just trap and kill cats all day long without breaking a law. What I am saying is that it is not as simple as that if one wants to be sure of breaking no law or be sure of facing no legal recourse.

There are laws that can potentially be broken if one decides to start killing domestic cats regardless of how humanely it is done. To state that there is no legal protection at all for cats is simply wrong.

• Advertisement

Songbirds are very welcome in my yard. They have beautiful voices just like any cat, all welcome. If I didn't want a songbird in my yard, i'd fence off my yard properly to prevent them naturally landing in it.

It's nice you don't have a cat in your yard that attacks the birds and scares them away:)

Advertisement