Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

gurramok wrote: »
    Songbirds are very welcome in my yard. They have beautiful voices just like any cat, all welcome.

Different horses i suppose,
    i like waking up to the dawn chorus.
    Not so much the screeching of a couple of toms hassling a female at 3am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Why can't it? I don't see your logic. If, for example, a cat is in every day crapping in someones veg bed and disturbing the seeds that is a serious nuisance. Do carrots not have rights too?

Protect the vegetation, its the responsibility of the grower to protect their carrots not just from cats but from all species.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Protect the vegetation, its the responsibility of the grower to protect their carrots not just from cats but all all species.

Pray show where that is written in law. Your animal, your responsibility.

example: horse breaks out of field, wanders onto road. Car smashes into horse, kills it, totals second car. Horse owner liable for damages to car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

EireIceMan wrote: »
    How do you distinguish between a healthy looking feral and a domestic with no collar? Very grey area.

That is a good point, and one that I agree would present a very grey area for the vast majority of folk looking at the animal. Would imagine that most folk would not be able to tell the difference between the examples you gave as all they would see is a cat.

It is also an area that a number of organisations, such as Feral Cats Ireland, are trying to to get recognised under the new Animal Health & Welfare Bill, so that grey area may possibly be got rid off if the proposed idea that only a sanctioned body or organisation can trap cats under Trap Neuter Return programmes rather than a trap/kill one.

If that does get added to the bill, then the kill part of the conversation in this thread becomes illegal for any non sanctioned body or individual to do regardless of whether the cat is classified as feral, stray, or domestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Kess73 wrote: »

A similar responsibility falls onto the person who wishes to kill the animal. They have to be able to prove that they made an effort to find out who owned the animal, and that if they knew who the owner was that they tried to explain the problem. Within reason of course.

But what you said was that a person could just trap and kill cats all day long without breaking a law. What I am saying is that it is not as simple as that if one wants to be sure of breaking no law or be sure of facing no legal recourse.

There are laws that can potentially be broken if one decides to start killing domestic cats regardless of how humanely it is done. To state that there is no legal protection at all for cats is simply wrong.
    I could be wrong here but is that bill finalised and written into law yet? I read a few weeks before christmas it was not yet finalised and was still being discussed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Boombastic wrote: »
    Bark chippings or not, they still cost me money to put down in the first place and to replace.
    A cat entered my freshly planted carrot bed, took a dump and kicked teh seeds all over the place. The mental anguish i suffered by having uneven rows of carrots will haunt me for some time.

I presume you have 24x7 CCTV that confirms that it was definitely the cat what did it, and not the fox, or the squirrel, or the crows, or the dog or the kids, or ....

RainyDay wrote: »
    I presume you have 24x7 CCTV that confirms that it was definitely the cat what did it, and not the fox, or the squirrel, or the crows, or the dog or the kids, or ....

It was the cat what done it officer, i saw it with me own eyes. It was actually my cat anyway, so i took steps as a responsible owner to ensure he didn't do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

RainyDay wrote: »

foxes, squirrels, crows, dogs or kids don;t leave cat sh1t:confused:

maybe they did and they're trying to frame the cat :pac:

Protect the vegetation, its the responsibility of the grower to protect their carrots not just from cats but from all species.

It is the responsibility of the carrot grower to protect the carrots if he/she wants to be able to eat them, but there is no legal responsibilty present.

Pray show where that is written in law. Your animal, your responsibility.

example: horse breaks out of field, wanders onto road. Car smashes into horse, kills it, totals second car. Horse owner liable for damages to car.

Thats some leap from carrots to a horse! Horse is on open road, the carrots are ahem stuck in the ground of the garden! :D

• Advertisement

Thats some leap from carrots to a horse! Horse is on open road, the carrots are ahem stuck in the ground of the garden! :D

It was some leap over the fence alright!

You missed the part where the owner was responsible did you? What do you think your duties, as an animal owner, are anyway?

aaakev wrote: »
    I could be wrong here but is that bill finalised and written into law yet? I read a few weeks before christmas it was not yet finalised and was still being discussed

Hence why my reply to you had this in it

The new Animal Health & Welfare Bill that is in it's final stages looks like it will be offering even further protection to domestic cats, and possibly may have something with regards to feral cats

But the current 1911 act, as well as it's amendments over the years, offer a domestic cat that is a pet the protection I mentioned earlier, with the new bill looking like it will offer further and more detailed protection.

All I am saying to you is that domestic cats do have protection under Irish law at present, and cannot be killed (even humanely) with the kind of impunity that your earlier post seemed to suggest.

I do agree that any animal owner has to be held responsibile for their animal, but anyone who wishes to cause harm or death to that pet has to stay on the right side of the law also.

It was some leap over the fence alright!

You missed the part where the owner was responsible did you? What do you think your duties, as an animal owner, are anyway?

A horse ain't a cat. Horses are supposed to be kept on enclosed fields for a reason, they're huge and to prevent accidents!

I keep the cat alive and well with lots of TLC, have had some wonderful conversations with it too, some should try that instead of throwing rocks :)

A horse ain't a cat. Horses are supposed to be kept on enclosed fields for a reason, they're huge and to prevent accidents!

I keep the cat alive and well with lots of TLC, have had some wonderful conversations with it too, some should try that instead of throwing rocks :)

The law doesn't care if horses are huge. As an owner, you are responsible for your animal.

What do you think your duties, as an animal owner, are anyway?

The law doesn't care if horses are huge. As an owner, you are responsible for your animal.

What do you think your duties, as an animal owner, are anyway?

You're trying to make me say keep the cat inside my own property at all times. Never gonna happen, its the cats nature to roam just like birds, foxes, squirrels, rodents, insects and even kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I think the best way to keep unwanted cats out of your garden is put chickenwire along the top of the boundary wall.:D

You're trying to make me say keep the cat inside my own property at all times. Never gonna happen, its the cats nature to roam just like birds, foxes, squirrels, rodents, insects and even kids!

No, I'm trying to get you to accept that you have a duty of care to your pets. You don't really seem to care for them though.

No, I'm trying to get you to accept that you have a duty of care to your pets. You don't really seem to care for them though.

I do care. I don't want to keep the animal in a prison 24\7 against its will all its life. A cat has rights ya know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

foxes, squirrels, crows, dogs or kids don;t leave cat sh1t:confused:

maybe they did and they're trying to frame the cat :pac:

Ah so you have CSI analysers to distinguish cat sh1t from badger sh1t and fox sh1t, as well as the CCTV - now I get it.

I do care. I don't want to keep the animal in a prison 24\7 against its will all its life. A cat has rights ya know!

Why do you own a cat if you live in a prison? If you do not have somewhere suitable for the cat to stay you should not have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Both sides of this argument have become utterly ridiculous

Why do you own a cat if you live in a prison? If you do not have somewhere suitable for the cat to stay you should not have one.

I'm not in Mountjoy! I have freedoms and so should the cat. Next time you see a cat sitting on your wall, be nice to it and it will be nice back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Kess73 wrote: »

Hence why my reply to you had this in it

But the current 1911 act, as well as it's amendments over the years, offer a domestic cat that is a pet the protection I mentioned earlier, with the new bill looking like it will offer further and more detailed protection.

All I am saying to you is that domestic cats do have protection under Irish law at present, and cannot be killed (even humanely) with the kind of impunity that your earlier post seemed to suggest.

I do agree that any animal owner has to be held responsibile for their animal, but anyone who wishes to cause harm or death to that pet has to stay on the right side of the law also.
    my understanding is they currently have no protection at all. I have debated this elswhere in the passed year and that was the general opinion, it has also been debated in the hunting firum here on boards and the same was reached.. Can you show me where it says pet cats have some sort of protection? If you want to take this to pm to avoid this mess of a thread thats cool!

I'm not in Mountjoy! I have freedoms and so should the cat. Next time you see a cat sitting on your wall, be nice to it and it will be nice back.

Don't have a wall and my dogs would eat any cat on my property. This is why people need to control their pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Any links to these rights that the cats have? Are they enshrined in the catstitution?:)

Any links to these rights that the cats have? Are they enshrined in the catstitution?:)

The right not to be harassed, terrified of humans who just think cats are vermin. Leave the cat alone to roam and we wouldn't be having this discussion!

The right not to be harassed, terrified of humans who just think cats are vermin. Leave the cat alone to roam and we wouldn't be having this discussion!

Humans have rights too. Cats also have a right to a decent owner.

Humans have rights too. Cats also have a right to a decent owner.

Huh, the cats haven't attacked you have they? Most domestic cats have decent owners.

Huh, the cats haven't attacked you have they? Most domestic cats have decent owners.

non sequitur

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

You're trying to make me say keep the cat inside my own property at all times.

Yes. It's your pet. Keep it on your property. No other pet owners would let their pets roam free but you think a cat has some god given right to do so.
    Never gonna happen, its the cats nature to roam just like birds, foxes, squirrels, rodents, insects and even kids!

Just like dogs, horses, rabbits, lizards and ferrets. All pets. None roam.
    Why is your cat the only pet allowed to roam?

Advertisement