Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

He can do it in such a way as not to deliberately hurt the animal...
    I wouldn't. Your cat, your problem if it goes where it's not wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Will do.... I will give them a ring first thing in the morning as I am sure they will have left by now ;) But surely if i take it upon myself to touch his fence then i'll be in the sh1t for messing with it... No doubt he will claim i damaged it somehow.....

No, they are there till 5 o'clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

What about barbed wire fences and walls with glass shards embedded in the top?

Cat's aren't (that) stupid, they won't go up there if it hurts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

smash wrote: »
    No, it belongs to one of the houses, that's how it works. A wall on each side, you own one, your neighbor on whatever side owns the other. Check out the deeds to your house!

Well i guess it is my wall so as it is on the right hand side of my house as you look at it from the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

You could offer to replace the chicken wire with some picket lawn edging. A few small modifications and you could put it on top of the wall easily, making it difficult for the cats to sit on it and almost impossible for them to hurt themselves.

Something like this http://www.click4garden.co.uk/prod-images/large/1040.jpg

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Ehhh, I think the cats will just do what they want..

They will in fact avoid the fence he has put up. and go elsewhere or the other x3 walls you have.

The only problem here is yours. I doubt the cats are actually bothered.

OP. there are other things to get worked up about go do that instead.

I totally agree with you except that it is unsightly to look at and I should not be bullied into having it erected on the wall without my consent, apart from the fact the he is trying to harm the cats.. I know the cats are clever and will stay away from it, but it really is horrible to look at....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

get a critter cam and find out what he's really trying to hide

He could be just unaware the dangers they pose since he's not exactly fond of cats and probably not proficient in chicken wire installation - to suggest their is malice in his actions is ridiculous until you've already pointed out to him that the barbs left will cause harm to your animals and he doesn't do anything.
    Yes I spoke to him as he was putting it up and told me he was putting it up to deter the cats from sitting on the wall. I said that's fine aslong as you tidy up the wire on it so as not to injure the cats and he told me he wasn't going to discuss it with me any further....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

Hi All,
    Just looking for some opinions if you don't mind...Well my gobsh1te Neighbor is at it again....
    just the legality of what he has done....
    It has nothing to do with not liking cats that make him a Prize Gobsh1te. He is what he is, a bitter old man with nothing better to do....
    but we were delighted not to be able to see the boll*x in all fairness.....
    I don't think he has seen his own lad in quite a while, ..... Bit found of the pies if you get my drift....

Bit of a trend here.

Also, I believe legal advice cannot be given on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

Yes I spoke to him as he was putting it up and told me he was putting it up to deter the cats from sitting on the wall. I said that's fine aslong as you tidy up the wire on it so as not to injure the cats and he told me he wasn't going to discuss it with me any further....

If its a shared wall - why cant you hammer down or cut the protruding wire.

• Advertisement

Does he have any young babies in the house?
    Cats/cat litter can carry some disease that can threaten babies.

Also, some phobias aren't rational, or he doesn't like the idea of a cat wandering near his property potentially trying to get in an open door or window.

But animal cruelty? :rolleyes:
    He hasn't injured any animal, you'll be laughed at for that one.
    As an alternative, maybe painting the top of the wall with sticky anti-burglar paint would deter a cat from messing up its fur.

Yes he has.... We had two kittens in 2011 and one of them got in his back garden. He had a terrier at the time (and still has) and he knew the kitten was trapped in an area in the back garden and instead of taking the dog in so the cat could get out, he left the dog there and it killed the cat in the end, when I had to jump the fence at the back and try to save the kitten but it was to late....

Where To wrote: »
    I wouldn't. Your cat, your problem if it goes where it's not wanted.
    On my wall?????????? WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

He sounds like the kind of person with all kinds of time on his hands to battle with you if you engage in any way. He will win because his life depends on winning!
    Save your energy. The cats won't get hurt, they're clever little souls and climb through all kinds of dangerous situations all the time.
    Let him fortress himself in if that's what he needs...nutter

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I hate cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

None of this would occur if you controlled your animals. Really grinds my gears the "well cats are cats" attitude - if you can't keep your pets from bothering other people, then perhaps pets are not for you.

I don't approve of him harming animals, but otherwise I support him in his right not to be bothered by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

On my wall?????????? WTF
    I doubt he would go to the trouble if the cat never went further than the wall.

If it doesn't then I'd agree that he does have issues, but cats being cats I wouldn't be so sure.

No, they are there till 5 o'clock!
    Planning permisson left at 4:30

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

yeah like a bit of chicken wire is going to stop a cat. Pesky cats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Bit of a trend here.

hmmm i think i know who i'd rather have as a neighbor

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

mitosis wrote: »
    None of this would occur if you controlled your animals. Really grinds my gears the "well cats are cats" attitude - if you can't keep your pets from bothering other people, then perhaps pets are not for you.

I don't approve of him harming animals, but otherwise I support him in his right not to be bothered by them.

Reminds me of a neighbours I used to have, his little dog would sh1t in my lawn and his argument was, it's only a dog doing what they do. I don't have pets so I should not have to pick up pet sh1t. It stopped.

Your pet, your responsibility.

• Advertisement

If its a shared wall - why cant you hammer down or cut the protruding wire.
    Because it is his property and i would be damaging it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Now without getting nasty about it, I don't think he has seen his own lad in quite a while, never mind getting to use it..... Bit found of the pies if you get my drift....

Reminds me of the last day in a crowded pub and from the background someone shouted "HOI, TOM!! When was the last time you looked down and seen yer dick?!!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Should you not be doing something to keep the cats in your own garden? I presume he didn't buy a house with a garden for other peoples animals.

Maybe you could go and offer to clean his garden in the event your cats make a mess in return for him taking down the fence.

Either way nobody should have to clean up after animals somebody else decided to keep.

lolo62 wrote: »
    He sounds like the kind of person with all kinds of time on his hands to battle with you if you engage in any way. He will win because his life depends on winning!
    Save your energy. The cats won't get hurt, they're clever little souls and climb through all kinds of dangerous situations all the time.
    Let him fortress himself in if that's what he needs...nutter
    Agreed, and you know what. If it's not my neighbor then it will be some one else, so i am not even bothered about the cats any more because they are far to clever to get injured, but it really is to do with the fact that it looks horrible on top of our wall in the front garden, and i will get the Town Council to remove it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

mitosis wrote: »

Cats cannot be prevented from roaming. That said, most don't roam very far from home. And if you can't take the fact that the neighbour's cat might happen to sit on the neighbour's wall then you really really do have bigger problems than the cat. If you think it's okay to deliberately harm an animal that is not harming anything then there's something exceptionally wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its a cat ffs not a gorilla

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Buy a hen and put it inside his garden when he's away to bed and watch his reaction in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Agreed, and you know what. If it's not my neighbor then it will be some one else, so i am not even bothered about the cats any more because they are far to clever to get injured, but it really is to do with the fact that it looks horrible on top of our wall in the front garden, and i will get the Town Council to remove it....
    Looks like that was your problem all along and you just came on here to slag off your neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

You want to report him for animal cruelty because your cats might get scratched on chicken wire ?

If he's going to all that bother then your cats are clearly bothering him, perhaps he'd like a few finches on his bird feeder every once in a while. So perhaps go have a word about what you both can do to lessen whatever trouble they cause him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

on top of our wall in the front garden

This seems like a joke, does he not have a gate or something they could get through anyway?
    Cats cannot be prevented from roaming.

Give me a cat a collar and a lead and I will prove you wrong. Owners don't like to prevent their cats from roaming is the reality.

Advertisement