Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AthenaA

It's not only an Irish thing. I live in Belgium and did volunteer work in shelters, I've come across several people, some in tears, who came to adopt a cat because their asshole neighbours thought just because they 'hate' cats that gives them the right to kill that cat. A cat somebody loves.
    Some people are so disgruntled and annoyed by stupid little things that they'll kill an innocent animal because ah well it's only a cat right?? I have no respect for these people, anyone who can kill someone else's pet out of something like 'it comes into my yard', is just simply not a decent human being.
    Yea the cat pee or poop is annoying, but is it really that horrible? I think there's better things to worry about than a little cat poop. If it gets really bad, talk to your neighbour in a friendly manner. No need to act like a total mad person by erecting castle walls around your house. Why not a moat while you're at it, that'll keep em out. It's just a cat for pete's sake. Next thing you'll be shooting the birds for pooping on your windows and car.
    People nowadays need to calm the feck down. You have it pretty easy compared to some others in the world, stop freaking out about a cat in your yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

AthenaA wrote: »
    It's not only an Irish thing. I live in Belgium and did volunteer work in shelters, I've come across several people, some in tears, who came to adopt a cat because their asshole neighbours thought just because they 'hate' cats that gives them the right to kill that cat. A cat somebody loves.
    Some people are so disgruntled and annoyed by stupid little things that they'll kill an innocent animal because ah well it's only a cat right?? I have no respect for these people, anyone who can kill someone else's pet out of something like 'it comes into my yard', is just simply not a decent human being.
    Yea the cat pee or poop is annoying, but is it really that horrible? I think there's better things to worry about than a little cat poop. If it gets really bad, talk to your neighbour in a friendly manner. No need to act like a total mad person by erecting castle walls around your house. Why not a moat while you're at it, that'll keep em out. It's just a cat for pete's sake. Next thing you'll be shooting the birds for pooping on your windows and car.
    People nowadays need to calm the feck down. You have it pretty easy compared to some others in the world, stop freaking out about a cat in your yard.

You can exercise the cat on a lead
    You can build a net over your yard

No, it's the neighbours fault:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

gurramok wrote: »
    I did, dogs. Donkeys, parrots, all sorts of birds, sheep, cows, hens, pigs, boars, horses, sheep, hamsters etc, they all roam when they can as its in their nature, some cannot as they are locked up 24/7.

None of these animals are allowed to roam when kept as pets.
    So again, Why is your cat the only pet allowed to roam?
    A scratch doesn't count. Any deaths by mauling?

You said cats do not attack humans. Yes they do. The severity of the attack is irrelevent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Cungi wrote: »
    None of these animals are allowed to roam when kept as pets.
    So again, Why is your cat the only pet allowed to roam?

They can roam, its in their nature. Just like cats can roam, its in their nature too.
    You said cats do not attack humans. Yes they do. The severity of the attack is irrelevent.

A scratch is not an attack, over dramatising you are. Suppose you'd call a Garda when a cat's claws rub off you!:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

A scratch is not an attack, over dramatising you are. Suppose you'd call a Garda when a cat's claws rub off you!:rolleyes:

What if a cat scratches a young child's eye?

It's simple. Name one pet that is allowed to roam. Not a wild animal. A pet. An animal that has an owner. Name one pet that is allowed to roam and is given the same leeway as a pet cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Mo60 wrote: »
    In my experiences of living and visiting other countries I have never come across this problem as much as in Ireland.

I am not looking for an argument, just opinions from other people who have ventured outside Ireland.

well im far from looking for anything other than to point out the your personal experiences are not a good staring point for making a generalization about what YOU have seen , as i said your world is not the universal view

as for your "smart" venture comment , listen sonny , you must not read boards much , as i have posted on many many occasion about my travels , so dont try condescend me about traveling and having a world view
    and i have met people in many many country's that dont like cats crapping in thier gardens, or cats eating birds , or screaming at 3am

and really , you are proving the point of many posters, with your statement " as much as in Ireland " , this would indicate that Irish pet owners are worse that our European neighbours, becasue people give out more her than abroad , well according to you anyway

They can roam, its in their nature. Just like cats can roam, its in their nature too.

Drop the "It's in their nature excuse" All animals can roam.
    But pets are not allowed to roam.
    So again, for the third time. Why is your cat the only pet allowed to roam?

The only one of us over dramatising this is you.

You keep making statements that you cannot back up. Just keep repeating the same nonsense over and over.

AthenaA wrote: »

no , stop your cap crapping on my children toys, prams ect , lazy ownership and ignoring a duty of care , typical cat owners in my opinion

you all think its acceptably to damage my property and possibly give my children damaging viral brain injury's by your cats fecal matter ALL OVER MY ****ING GARDEN

well ill tell you now , its not ok , and you cats owners have not a leg to stand on in this matter
    you have done nothing all thread but whinge about your perfect little blameless darlings

well, not all share you view of cats , and our view is not less valid becasue of your slightly over the top love for these cats - i dont dislike cats , i just dislike picking up other pets ****e from my garden

train your cats to crap at home , and no one would have a problem with them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

uch wrote: »
    How do you make that out ? maybe he's allergic

If the bastard's allergic to cats then good.....I hope the wanker dies screaming in an allergy-induced seizure. But.....he would only have an allergic reaction to cats if he was to get very close to one or if one was in his house.
    He could also be one of these lame pricks who has poncy pets like goldfish or a friggin' budgie or some shit and he's terrified that his little babies will be traumatised by the presence of Macavity the neighbourhood thug-moggy.

Put birdseed all over the roof of his car. When he comes out and discovers to his horror the pigeon-shit apocalypse that his motor has become the stupid bollocks will be only too happy to have a few cats around to protect his fuckin' Skoda.

Drop the "It's in their nature excuse" All animals can roam.
    But pets are not allowed to roam.
    So again, for the third time. Why is your cat the only pet allowed to roam?

I don't have any other pets, I gave examples of other pets that roam.:confused:
    The only one of us over dramatising this is you.

You keep making statements that you cannot back up. Just keep repeating the same nonsense over and over.

Its not nonsense, its fact. Cats are generally harmless hence there are no cat wardens like they have for dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I don't have any other pets, I gave examples of other pets that roam.

No you have not. You have stated that dogs can roam like cats. Wild dogs roam as do wild cats. Pet dogs are not allowed to roam like pet cats. Someone sees a cat with a collar roaming about and ****ting in gardens n such and the owners don't bat an eye lid or think they have to control it.

Someone sees a dog with a collar roaming and ****ting in gardens and the owners are rightly moaned at and told to control it.

So your example of pet dogs being given the same free roam as pet cats is incorrect. Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Jesus! Such hate filled posts about cats! You'd think they were devils incarnate with the venom spewed on here I wonder is it just cats you hate or are you looking in the mirror as yis post:mad:

Yes I'm an animal lover, cats, dogs, birds, reptiles you name it I've either had one or looked after them, I can't for the life of me understand some of you!!!

I don't have any other pets, I gave examples of other pets that roam.:confused:

None of the animals you have listed are allowed to roam when kept as pets.
    So again, for the fourth time. Why is your cat the only pet allowed to roam?

If the bastard's allergic to cats then good.....I hope the wanker dies screaming in an allergy-induced seizure. But.....he would only have an allergic reaction to cats if he was to get very close to one or if one was in his house.
    He could also be one of these lame pricks who has poncy pets like goldfish or a friggin' budgie or some shit and he's terrified that his little babies will be traumatised by the presence of Macavity the neighbourhood thug-moggy.

Put birdseed all over the roof of his car. When he comes out and discovers to his horror the pigeon-shit apocalypse that his motor has become the stupid bollocks will be only too happy to have a few cats around to protect his fuckin' Skoda.
    Madam wrote: »
    Jesus! Such hate filled posts about cats! You'd think they were devils incarnate with the venom spewed on here I wonder is it just cats you hate or are you looking in the mirror as yis post:mad:

Yes I'm an animal lover, cats, dogs, birds, reptiles you name it I've either had one or looked after them, I can't for the life of me understand some of you!!!

I was thinking the opposite when I read asherbassad's post:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Supposedly orange peel will deter cats

I read somewhere that cats don't like shotgun ammunition

Pet dogs do roam, i've seem them in my area. Just because they can't jump back gardens and cause a "nuisance" doesn't excuse that they can roam.

Where To wrote: »
    I wouldn't. Your cat, your problem if it goes where it's not wanted.

So you'd have no problem with your kid losing a foot after running into a neighbour's garden to retrieve his football and stepped on a bear-trap that the kid-hating neighbour set?

Your problem if your stupid (now crippled) kid goes where it's not wanted, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Sky King wrote: »

I read somewhere that cats don't like shotgun ammunition
    i can confirm that is true....

Pet dogs do roam, i've seem them in my area. Just because they can't jump back gardens and cause a "nuisance" doesn't excuse that they can roam.

You keep dodging the question.
    I never said dogs cannot roam, only that they are not allowed to roam.
    Every animal can & will roam given the opportunity including humans but PETS are not allowed to.
    So again, for the fifth time. Why is your cat the only pet allowed to roam?

You keep dodging the question.
    I never said dogs cannot roam, only that they are not allowed to roam.
    Every animal can & will roam given the opportunity including humans but PETS are not allowed to.

No dodging at all, you cannot listen. Cats are allowed to roam, where is the law that says they cannot? In fact show us the law that lists ever pet that is not allowed to roam.

• Advertisement

No dodging at all, you cannot listen. Cats are allowed to roam, where is the law that says they cannot? In fact show us the law that lists ever pet that is not allowed to roam.

em....I've already posted the one about dogs

Boombastic wrote: »
    em....I've already posted the one about dogs

Only dogs, and the other pets?

Only dogs, and the other pets?

like foxes and squirrels?

mitosis wrote: »
    None of this would occur if you controlled your animals. Really grinds my gears the "well cats are cats" attitude - if you can't keep your pets from bothering other people, then perhaps pets are not for you.

I don't approve of him harming animals, but otherwise I support him in his right not to be bothered by them.

What the hell are you smoking? Cats can't be trained like dogs. They live where they are fed and then they go out primarily to hunt or fornicate if they are not neutered, and that's it.
    Someone doesn't like cats then the stupid prick should either stay indoors or talk to his TD about having them banned.
    What's the deal with these anal people and their poncy gardens anyway?
    A nice garden is beautiful to look at but if you don't want any creatures like cats, mice, beetles, butterflies, birds near the the thing then fuckingwell build it indoors and sit in it like a sad prick. I can understand a guy being pissed off if the neighbourhood labrador takes a massive steaming dump in his rosebeds but this is easily remedied by chasing the slob of a dog away or installing a gate. Putting in spiked pangee traps to maim the mutt is something you'd recommend instead??

Forget global warming, economic chaos and carnage in the Middle East, the "cats will be cats" attitude really grinds your gears, eh!

What the hell are you smoking? Cats can't be trained like dogs..........!

Yes they can and also there are other options which can stop them roaming as has been pointed out. Maybe some cat owners need to learn about the animal they are supposedly caring for:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Maybe you'd be better off asking a politican? But it really doesn't matter why. It's a matter of fact in law - cats are allowed to roam. There are no legal barriers to roaming cats or crapping cats. If you don't like it, go and get the law changed and then come back here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

dj jarvis wrote: »
    well im far from looking for anything other than to point out the your personal experiences are not a good staring point for making a generalization about what YOU have seen , as i said your world is not the universal view

as for your "smart" venture comment , listen sonny , you must not read boards much , as i have posted on many many occasion about my travels , so dont try condescend me about traveling and having a world view
    and i have met people in many many country's that dont like cats crapping in thier gardens, or cats eating birds , or screaming at 3am

and really , you are proving the point of many posters, with your statement " as much as in Ireland " , this would indicate that Irish pet owners are worse that our European neighbours, becasue people give out more her than abroad , well according to you anyway

Sorry if I offended you, my comments were not directed at you in particular.

As I said I was looking for other peoples' opinions - all opinions, not just those the same as mine. I am open to other opinions, unlike some self opinionated posters on here.

By the way 'listen sonny' does not suit my gender.;)

RainyDay wrote: »
    Maybe you'd be better off asking a politican?

No politician could dodge the answer as well as Gurramok can.

You are dodging. You are the one not listening. So i'm going to spell it out for you.

Your cat is allowed to roam because YOU have allowed it to.
    No other pet owners do this because the law states they can't or the owner doesnt want any harm to come to their pet.

You allow your cat to roam because, you as a pet owner, are selfish, lazy and irresponsible.

I'm done here. Not going to keep repeating myself and have it fall on deaf ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What the hell are you smoking? Cats can't be trained like dogs. They live where they are fed and then they go out primarily to hunt or fornicate if they are not neutered, and that's it.
    Someone doesn't like cats then the stupid prick should either stay indoors or talk to his TD about having them banned.
    What's the deal with these anal people and their poncy gardens anyway?
    A nice garden is beautiful to look at but if you don't want any creatures like cats, mice, beetles, butterflies, birds near the the thing then fuckingwell build it indoors and sit in it like a sad prick. I can understand a guy being pissed off if the neighbourhood labrador takes a massive steaming dump in his rosebeds but this is easily remedied by chasing the slob of a dog away or installing a gate. Putting in spiked pangee traps to maim the mutt is something you'd recommend instead??

Forget global warming, economic chaos and carnage in the Middle East, the "cats will be cats" attitude really grinds your gears, eh!
    Meanwhile, back in the real world...

• Advertisement

Mo60 wrote: »
    Sorry if I offended you, my comments were not directed at you in particular.

As I said I was looking for other peoples' opinions - all opinions, not just those the same as mine. I am open to other opinions, unlike some self opinionated posters on here.

By the way 'listen sonny' does not suit my gender.;)

My apologies little girl :D i would suggest a hug , but that could be misunderstood as grooming :eek:

Advertisement