Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

awec wrote: »
    A 7ft wall? That's almost twice the height of what is legally allowed to be erected at the front of a property. Did he seek planning permission?

As AWEC says, has he got permission for the wall that height?
    * Has he also covered himself by checking that any presence of the barbed wire is legal?
    * Has he even got possibly needed planning permission to fix the wire there?

He's making himself liable to civil action as a person owes a legal duty of care to ensure that visitors to ones property is reasonably safe. As daft as it may seem a person also owes a lower legal duty of care to trespassers, human or animal.
    The use of such a preventative measure could also be seen as being detrimental to the neighbourhood.

Barbed wire is illegal in most domestic situations. The consensus is that a child could be badly injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

mitosis wrote: »
    None of this would occur if you controlled your animals. Really grinds my gears the "well cats are cats" attitude - if you can't keep your pets from bothering other people, then perhaps pets are not for you.

How do you control a cat? Keep it locked up and then maybe take it for a walk on a lead so it can get some exercise? Get real.....

The cat is not bothering any person as they can't even see that part of the garden unless they intentionally go look at it....
    mitosis wrote: »
    I don't approve of him harming animals, but otherwise I support him in his right not to be bothered by them.

Everyone has their rights and that's fine but the law is the law and it ain't staying....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Cats are pretty smart animals.
    If your cat can't negotiate a bit of wire then you've got a pretty dumb cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Well i guess it is a boundary wall as it divides the two gardens.....
    and it really is not a big deal except for the fact that he is in particular trying to harm our two cats.... Again he has placed it in such a way as the barbs from the chicken wire will harm the animals....

DO we have any rights at all?

Chicken wire doesn't have barbs, are you sure it is chicken wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

How do you control a cat? Keep it locked up and then maybe take it for a walk on a lead so it can get some exercise? Get real.....

The cat is not bothering any person as they can't even see that part of the garden unless they intentionally go look at it....

Why not? You are the one that wants to keep a wild animal as a pet. If it can be done for a dog why not a cat?

Love the logic, I can't see anything unless I look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Get rid of it, only farmers need cats to keep the vermin away from the harvest. Everyone else is just looking for amusement. Go buy a flute or something and get rid of the pointless creature. Neighbour takes down the chicken wire, you join a marching band and everyone's happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

How do you control a tiger?

mikom wrote: »

Very carefully! :D

Chair and a whip I suppose. Same as a Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Easy. First, you get them into a lifeboat...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

perhaps you could install some sort of humane barrier on your side of the wall which would stop the cats getting near the deadly chicken wire barbs?

endacl wrote: »

...Then don't forget the film crew to record the adventure! :cool:

So we have a tiger a cat and a roll of chicken wire and a lifeboat. Cant take the cat and chicken wire cos the cat will get scratched. Cant leave the cat with the tiger cos it'll get eaten. Cant leave it alone or the neighbour will kill it.

Its a pickle all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Biggins wrote: »

...Then don't forget the film crew to record the adventure! :cool:
    An expensive solution but a worthy one, I think we can all agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

How do you control a cat? Keep it locked up and then maybe take it for a walk on a lead so it can get some exercise?

Actually, that's what my in laws do. They have 3 cats now, used to have 5, and they're only allowed out supervised. The older ones (since passed on) knew where they were allowed to go and didn't stray beyond it. The younger ones were waled on leads, but have now learned and stay inside the correct area. Just because most people have decided cats are untrainable wild animals who must be allowed to wander free, doesn't mean they are.

Alternatively, you can just keep the cat indoors. Provided you give them enough interaction, and toys to play with, things to scratch and a litter box to use they'll be happy as Larry - my cat certainly is. And this way I don;t have to worry about her getting hit by a car or attacked by a fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Biggins wrote: »
    Very carefully! :D
    Chair and a whip I suppose. Same as a Lion.

Still waiting for a mention of Tony Montana. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I get that you don't like the fact that he put up the chicken wire & it's unsightly however if the wall is built on his side of the divide, then it's his wall & not yours at all. Had the same argument with our neighbours over a fence.

Also in regards your cats - maybe he doesn't want them around. I get that cats will roam but he didn't sign up to have them in his garden or on the wall. My mam hates cats in the garden as she tries to encourage birds & that doesn't happen with cats. She'll often open the door to try to scare them off the walls. They're your pets, not his so he should not have to put up with them anywhere on his property if he doesn't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Cats are vermin. He should have them humanely trapped and exterminated on his property.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Everyone has their rights and that's fine but the law is the law and it ain't staying....

Well the cat seems to be bothering your neighbour anyway. Also considering it's his property and not the cat's it's more likely that he would intentionally look at a part of his garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

....the law is the law....

except, of course, when it applies to your cat which should be allowed trespass where ever it wants.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    Cats are vermin. He should have ten humanely trapped and exterminated on his property.

Probably best make it 15 just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭iba

Your next door neighbours idea is great, thanks for sharing it - Im off to do the same now - I spend time every weekend removing cat dirt from my garden.

I dont dislike cats, I dislike cat dirt and how their dirt destroys plants in the garden and how it gets on adults and childrens shoes and dragged into the house and worse still perhaps even into chidrens mouths as they may end up getting some on their hands when they try to clean their shoes

OP why dont you offer to go around to your neighbours house twice a day every day and clean up the mess that your cat/s leave behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Warned a neighbour there cat was coming into the garden and our dogs went for it. Told them if I hadn't been there the cat would be dead. Laughed at me saying their smart cat wouldn't get caught by my small dumb dogs. Then complained about their barking. My dogs were barking at his cat. Came home a few days later one cat many pieces. Returned remains to owner he got mad saying I did it.
    Showed him the garden and the dogs. Dogs had scraps garden had lots of blood.
    They catch sparrows quite regularly too.
    Cats don't have to be let roam it is choice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,271 ✭✭✭Archeron

You could offer to replace the chicken wire with some picket lawn edging. A few small modifications and you could put it on top of the wall easily, making it difficult for the cats to sit on it and almost impossible for them to hurt themselves.

Something like this http://www.click4garden.co.uk/prod-images/large/1040.jpg

Vampire dentures, cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Cats cannot be prevented from roaming. That said, most don't roam very far from home. And if you can't take the fact that the neighbour's cat might happen to sit on the neighbour's wall then you really really do have bigger problems than the cat. If you think it's okay to deliberately harm an animal that is not harming anything then there's something exceptionally wrong with you.
    Some people like cats, some people don't.

I can accept that you think your cat is great, that's fine, no problem, we all have our own way of going mad. Just keep it on your own property.

Can you accept that I have less empathy for your creature than I do for a bit of blue mould on a slice of bread?

Tolerance has to work both ways, and I find some cat owners can be incredibly intolerant people when it comes to their pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Barbs :pac:

It's chicken wire, not fcuking razor wire :rolleyes:

Keep your pets under control and have some respect for your neighbours. Good fences make good neighbours.

Have the cats an opinion on the matter or are they on the fence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

feckin cats

sick of picking up cat **** so the kids can play in the back garden,
    i bought a motion sensor cat soaker that connects to the cold water line
    very funny when it get them

but one tom cat would not feck off , **** and pissed all over the place , could not leave the child pram out becasue he would spray it - dirty ****ers

so i got a air soft sniper rifle - great craic - i never knew they could jump so high from a standing start , had to get him at least on 10 different occasions before he got the message

really , the smell of this ****er reminded me of a field that has had slurry spread on it

my garden , my kids safety is paramount , catch a cat or dog crapping on my property and ill kick it so hard up the arse it will instantly become a slipper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

I think you're neighbour is being quite considerate. He could have left out a nice tasty bowl of antifreeze

Not condoning this, just pointing out neighbour could do a lot worse to harm the animal IF he wanted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Yer not doing too bad if a few cats in your garden are your biggest worry. In my day we used to lure the cats into the house hoping they would catch the rats inside.

Advertisement