Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Yes he has.... We had two kittens in 2011 and one of them got in his back garden.

So your animals have been invading his garden for 2 years now?
    He had a terrier at the time (and still has) and he knew the kitten was trapped in an area in the back garden and instead of taking the dog in so the cat could get out, he left the dog there and it killed the cat in the end, when I had to jump the fence at the back and try to save the kitten but it was to late....

How it that animal cruelty?
    Did you go to his front door, ask to get your kitten and he refused?

If not, then how can you be sure
    a) he knew the kitten was there or
    b) if he did know, he probably thought since the kitten got in, it can get out again, albeit with a little scare from the dog not to return.

To summarise, 1 kitten, yourself and your cat have all invaded his garden without permission.

Don't get me wrong, I like cats but my girlfriend doesn't.
    She's afraid they'll jump up and scratch her in a cartoon-like fashion.

I've had neighbouring cats trying getting into my house when my front door was open.

So I can see the neighbours point of view too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I have a very importnat question..

if all zips or zops and all zops are zoodles, have many children does a zop have?

I was thinking 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The lack of responsibility of cat owners pisses me right off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Here's a radical idea, why not try talking to your neighbour in a grown up manner.
    Sure you could go down the legal route but you'll still be neighbours and nothing will have changed.
    You don't have to be friends but surely you can communicate on some level.
    A little compromise perhaps, ask him to remove the chicken wire and you'll put something else more sightly. After all it's your cats causing the grief.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

stitches, that is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Chicken wire doesn't have barbs, are you sure it is chicken wire?
    When he cut the chicken wire, he cut it in such a way as to leave strands of wire out which can easily cut. It is not barbed wire....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

When he cut the chicken wire, he cut it in such a way as to leave strands of wire out which can easily cut.

When the cat swiped with his paw, he did it in such a way as to leave his claws out, which can easily cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Get rid of it, only farmers need cats to keep the vermin away from the harvest. Everyone else is just looking for amusement. Go buy a flute or something and get rid of the pointless creature. Neighbour takes down the chicken wire, you join a marching band and everyone's happy.

I think this might be the stupidest thing I've ever read

GarIT wrote: »
    Either way nobody should have to clean up after animals somebody else decided to keep.

Cats are clean animals and do not **** like dogs do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Animal cruelty? really how have you come to this conclusion ?

Is his dog still barking? did you report them to the gardai that time? I take it you have not made up with them.

• Advertisement

Hark at Gillian McKeith.

No, they bury it in sandpits and the bark mulch beneath play equipment, so that children can mess themselves up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Then why does a cat have an anus?

If they don't do that can you please explain where the poo goes if it can't come out of them.

correct cause then they would just be dogs in disguise
    plus cats bury theirs in holes but dogs just leave it there for everyone to walk in

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I wonder if OP telling the whole story? Obviously there is more to it then just sitting on the wall.

For example I could almost skin my neighbours cats at this stage. While I was washing car I had back door open. Fecking thing sneaked in and ate mince meat, which was defrosting in a sink for dinner. I can't even open the fecking window without having little shiet sitting there and waiting for me to go out of kitchen so he can crawl in and take something. It's not the first time those cats got inside my house and ruined food.

Neighbour can do what ever he fecking wants as long as it is on his own property. If I could. Would put electric wire on window myself at this stage.

IM0 wrote: »
    plus cats bury theirs in holes but dogs just leave it there for everyone to walk in

They don't bury it when they do it in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah for heavens sake, I have cats that roam around the neighbour hood - so do lots of other people and my next door neighbours like them because they reckon they keep mice away - but cats can cope with much worse things than a bit of chicken wire. Mine wander around in the hawthorn tree on the waste ground next door without doing themselves any harm on the thorns. I also have rose bushes and other prickly plants and they are unharmed.

He sounds like a nutter tbh, and if you object to a 7ft wall tell the planning office, but don't worry about your cats. And they will get into the garden regardless, if that's what they want to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

padi89 wrote: »
    The lack of responsibility of cat owners pisses me right off. :mad:

They're not like dogs it's impossible to pen them into an area and stop them roaming. They're territorial animals by nature, they don't do boundary lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

We do take responsibility for our animals but at the end of the day they are cats, and cats climb and annoy dogs and it is our wall as well.....

NO at the end of the day your cat infringing on this guy's personal space.
    That is similar to you perching yourself on the wall and prancing around as the cat is yours and you are responsible for it regardless of weither the cat is just acting as a cat does or not.

That isn't on in my book.

The attitude shown is similar to people who just leave their dogs roam the streets, "Ah sure its only a dog/cat, its friendly out" wont suffice if your pet attacks somebody and you are left with a bill for medical expenses. Spot on too I may add.

My neighbor got a new little dog before Christmas (previous dog was a very large fella). Well the new little guy burrowed small holes in the hedge between our properties and was pooing in my back garden.

I was pissed off as why should I have to deal with other people responsibilities but what is me being pissed off going to achieve? Invited her (neighbour, not the dog) in for a coffee and explained the dog had burrowed slightly under the hedge and was pooing in my garden. An hour later, holes blocked up and in she came with a shovel to clean up after her dog. (I had already clean up after she left).

Point being if you opened up a dialog with your neighbor you might be surprised.

Give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

al28283 wrote: »
    I think this might be the stupidest thing I've ever read

You mustn't read much. Your conversation skills seem a bit rusty too. You should try get out more, mind the chicken wire though, I hear its lethal !

They don't bury it when they do it in my garden.

Tell the owners to get one of the pet sized shovels for it
    you would think if they loved their cats so much they would at least have one of these.

• Advertisement

They're territorial animals by nature, they don't do boundary lines.

?

it's impossible to pen them into an area and stop them roaming

Where did you get that from? Ever heard of a cage? or one of those super long leashes? or even keeping it in the house?

Impossible means it can't be done, your answer just says you don't want to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i wouldnt blame him
    i hate cats
    i think their the most disgusting vile creatures alive

Where did you get that from? Ever heard of a cage? or one of those super long leashes? or even keeping it in the house?

Impossible means it can't be done, your answer just says you don't want to.

Spot on.

Wanna see how it is done........ http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1039.html
    We are cat lovers and active in cat rescue, etc. We have 7 cats of our own and often have "foster" cats or kittens while they wait to be rehomed. We have never allowed our cats to free-roam, prefering to keep them safe and entertained inside. This summer we had decking installed in our back garden and half of the garden enclosed in field fencing held up on a timber frame. I know it sounds a bit odd, but you can see more here:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

And this whole thread further demonstrated hos, while I don't like cats, the biggest issue are cat owners and their "my cat above everything else" attitude, not the furry things themselves. Your neighbour has every right not to want your cats in his garden; They DO litter, their faces DO carry potentially dangerous diseases, they DO kill small animals, especially birds, pointlessly.

Most people really love cats because besides feeding them, they can essentially dismiss every other responsibility and still have a pet; Only to cry, moan, bitch and threaten legal actions when kitty mcfluffball gets squished by a car, eaten by a fox or beheaded by the neighbour's terrier. You want to have a cat, keep it indoors. Cats live very violent and very short lives outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I like cats but I don't like when they use our garden as a toilet. Folk who live across from us have loads and they used to frequently roam over to crap in our garden. We have two dogs now which has helped enormously. Maybe some cats do bury their poo but these ones certainly didn't. Are you sure he didn't erect the fence to stop them getting into your garden? It's very annoying looking out the window to see two or three cats squatting, leaving greasy blobs of crap everywhere:(.

In saying that, my next door neighbour has a lovely cat who goes in her own litter tray so when she pops in, it's not to go to the toilet. She's rarely in now 'cos of our doggies but she frequently sits on our dividing wall and window sill and peers down at them while they go mental:D.

Ps we have chicken wire separating our patio area from the grass 'cos the dogs were getting destroyed in the mud when they went out to go. I didn't think it was dangerous to animals:confused:

Ann22 wrote: »
    I like cats but I don't like when they use our garden as a toilet. Folk who live across from us have loads and they used to frequently roam over to crap in our garden. We have two dogs now which has helped enormously. Maybe some cats do bury their poo but these ones certainly didn't. Are you sure he didn't erect the fence to stop them getting into your garden? It's very annoying looking out the window to see two or three cats squatting, leaving greasy blobs of crap everywhere:(.

In saying that, my next door neighbour has a lovely cat who goes in her own litter tray so when she pops in, it's not to go to the toilet. She's rarely in now 'cos of our doggies but she frequently sits on our dividing wall and window sill and peers down at them while they go mental:D.

Ps we have chicken wire separating our patio area from the grass 'cos the dogs were getting destroyed in the mud when they went out to go. I didn't think it was dangerous to animals:confused:

synchronised ****ting beats synchronised swimming in my book

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Lois Pewterschmidt

OP, buy some young chickens and ducks, they're 10 a penny, and leave them in your garden (as it is your God-given right to do so) when these cats attack them (have video proof by leaving a camcorder on your window sill), go into your neighbour and bring him to court.

I absolutely fucking hate cats with a passion. Hopefully the cats will have to be seized after that, or else your neighbour will have to pay money (at least the value of the avian-species :) ) and keep doing this, letting his cat kill the birds over and over again, he will soon get the picture.
    Scummy cats.

JRant wrote: »
    Here's a radical idea, why not try talking to your neighbour in a grown up manner.
    Sure you could go down the legal route but you'll still be neighbours and nothing will have changed.
    You don't have to be friends but surely you can communicate on some level.
    A little compromise perhaps, ask him to remove the chicken wire and you'll put something else more sightly. After all it's your cats causing the grief.

I have approached him and he is not a radical person.... I am not going downa legal route, just going to the council to have it removed.....

If I have given anyone the idea that the cats go into his garden, they don't or if they do it is very very rare that they do... They have plenty of trees and fields to explore on the other side of our property as well as large green areas in the estate.

This is purely down top the fact that they sometimes sit on the wall, which is our wall as well by the way, and he is obviously bored with nothing else to do.....

It is NOT down to them ****ing in his garden as they don't, plus there are a ton of other cats in the area who frequent his garden walls more than our cats would, yet he has chosen to erect a crappy wire fence on my wall and has not bothered with the other 90 foot of wall that surrounds his property, and as I am his only neighbor on our road it is a deliberate attempt to piss me right off....

I am done talking with him as he is behaving like a child, and just like a child you don't reward bad behavior... I think is the only way to deal with the situation and to be perfectly honest he is not even worthy of taking up any more of my time. He's not important and doesn't factor in my life anymore.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Well i guess it is a boundary wall as it divides the two gardens.....
    and it really is not a big deal except for the fact that he is in particular trying to harm our two cats.... Again he has placed it in such a way as the barbs from the chicken wire will harm the animals....

DO we have any rights at all?
    Only read the first page, couldnt be arsed with the rest but wanted to reply to this. If you love your "pet" cats keep them on your property, they are obviously annoying your neighbour. Count yourself lucky he is building a fence. Your cat has no rights and if your neighbour takes a shovel to them one day there is absolutly nothing you can do about it, he can kill them as long as he does it quick.

Cats round here dont get the luxury of a fence, the neighbours now keep them in

Advertisement