Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I am done talking with him as he is behaving like a child, and just like a child you don't reward bad behavior... I think is the only way to deal with the situation and to be perfectly honest he is not even worthy of taking up any more of my time. He's not important and doesn't factor in my life anymore.....

This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I have approached him and he is not a radical person

Not a fan of ninja turtles either......

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

HondaSami wrote: »
    Animal cruelty? really how have you come to this conclusion ?

Is his dog still barking? did you report them to the gardai that time? I take it you have not made up with them.
    No never reported him to the garda as it will just be replied with as titt for tat.... I have bought a dog bark ultrasonic detector to deal with his dogs.... Also want to point out that we have a dog to and we don't let our dog bark constantly.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

They're not like dogs it's impossible to pen them into an area and stop them roaming. They're territorial animals by nature, they don't do boundary lines.

Plenty of people have indoor only cats or cats that are only allowed outside in enclosed runs. And those cats have an average lifespan that is 4-5 times longer than cats that roam out of doors. How and why people convince themselves of such blatant nonsense to the significant detriment of the pet they supposedly love is beyond me.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

mikom wrote: »
    Not a fan of ninja turtles either......

or surfing

• Advertisement

No never reported him to the garda as it will just be replied with as titt for tat.... I have bought a dog bark ultrasonic detector to deal with his dogs.... Also want to point out that we have a dog to and we don't let our dog bark constantly.....

You don't like the man so everything he does will annoy you and you will think he is doing it to annoy you whether he is or not.
    We have had the dog thread, now the cat thread, what next? have ye got goldfish? :p
    I am messing. but seriously life is to short to be having hassle with neighbours, can ye not come to some compromise?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My previous two cats were indoor/outdoor and could wander around outside whenever they wanted. The first died at 13 years of age and the second at 20 years of age. My current cats live indoors most of the time but go out when they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Cats are clean animals and do not **** like dogs do....

are you trolling ? my garden is full of it, none buried
    i can stick it in a jiffy bag and post it up to for you to inspect if ya want .

that's a really ill informed and plainly incorrect post

Point being if you opened up a dialog with your neighbor you might be surprised.

Give it a go.
    Don't think that's possible as he is holding a grudge against me for chastising him and telling him to get the fcuk out of my garden in front of my son when he accused my son of hitting the wing mirror on his van of which he didn't as I had seen him walking in that day and went nowhere near his van....

I tried to patch things up several times but that was met with, beware the enemy bearing gifts. We are not the only ones in our area to fall out with him, just the unlucky buggers to live next door to him.

He is not a rational person and the best way I can deal with him I'd to ignore him and not. speak to him....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

dj jarvis wrote: »

are you trolling ? my garden is full of it, none buried
    i can stick it in a jiffy bag and post it up to for you to inspect if ya want .

that's a really ill informed and plainly incorrect post
    Mine used to be the same, got sick of it because the kids couldnt go out and play in their own garden! Asked all the neighbours nicely to keep their "pets" ( i use that word very loosley) in and i got the same reply of each one they usual "they are cats, cata roam cant lock em up" blabla bla..... Got a cage, caught some cats, shot some cats, no more cats wondering around ****ting in everyones gardens :) neighbours now keep them inside. Funny that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I wouldn't want cats sh*tting all over my garden neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Huckster

I wouldn't want cats sh*tting all over my garden neither.
    I'd charge him for the free fertiliser :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

If you are the owner of the cats, I feel like you should be responsible for the cats. If you let the cats roam freely outside and they do something that negatively impacts the neighbors, it seems like you should be the one to take action to prevent it. If you're unhappy with the chicken wire, I think you should talk to your neighbor, apologize for the hassle they've already gone through, explain your concerns, and ask permission to replace it yourself or remedy it yourself.

But that's just me...

I had an incident with my old neighbors, two houses down. They had a cat. They'd feed it/play with it/and keep it outside all the time. It was fine until my dog killed it.

Their cat went into my back garden where the dog was. My dog chased it and basically ate it's neck. It was very disgusting and it injured my dog.

On some small level, I felt bad for the dead cat. On a bigger level though, I feel like it's entirely my neighbors fault. I keep my dog 'fenced in' so that it can't roam free. Otherwise I keep it inside or on a leash. I make sure it doesn't enter other people's property, damage their property, attack their pets, or use their property as a bathroom.... The cat came into my garden and caused damage to my property. AND what the hell do you do when your dog eats someone else's cat? I mean, seriously.

Talk about awkward.

What's the protocol? Put it in a rubbish bag and carry it back to their house and say, 'I think this is your dead cat. You might not want to look at it too much cause it's face/neck are still oozing blood.'

I thought about knocking on their door and asking them to come pick up their dead cat from my yard - but that seemed pretty heartless too.

Then I thought about throwing it in a rubbish bin and never thinking about it again.

Aside from all that, I had to take my dog to the vet and pay good money to get her patched up. To this day she still has a 'white patch' on her nose where she was scratched.

Granted, mine was an extreme case - but really, who wants their children to be playing in your cat's liter box?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I have approached him and he is not a radical person.... I am not going downa legal route, just going to the council to have it removed.....

If I have given anyone the idea that the cats go into his garden, they don't or if they do it is very very rare that they do... They have plenty of trees and fields to explore on the other side of our property as well as large green areas in the estate.

This is purely down top the fact that they sometimes sit on the wall, which is our wall as well by the way, and he is obviously bored with nothing else to do.....

It is NOT down to them ****ing in his garden as they don't, plus there are a ton of other cats in the area who frequent his garden walls more than our cats would, yet he has chosen to erect a crappy wire fence on my wall and has not bothered with the other 90 foot of wall that surrounds his property, and as I am his only neighbor on our road it is a deliberate attempt to piss me right off....

I am done talking with him as he is behaving like a child, and just like a child you don't reward bad behavior... I think is the only way to deal with the situation and to be perfectly honest he is not even worthy of taking up any more of my time. He's not important and doesn't factor in my life anymore.....

Your going to the council for legal clarification no?

You have absolutely no idea what your cats do as you have decided they can roam where they want. That includes sneaking into people's homes, sh!ting in childrens sand pits etc etc.

What's with the anti-barking device?
    That's crueler than a bit of chicken wire on a fence. The dogs are only reacting to the cats after all.

I think you'll find that it does factor into your life. You've got to live beside the chap. It'll take a whole lot less stress and effort if you just talk to him.

As the old saying goes "never argue with a fool, people from a distance can't tell who is who".

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black :D
    Touche... Time fora new years resolution me thinks :-)

Touche... Time fora new years resolution me thinks :-)

At least you can laugh about it :D

I would hate to have to live beside someone i did not like, try come to a mutual agreement for everyone's sake.

At least you can laugh about it :D

I would hate to have to live beside someone i did not like, try come to a mutual agreement for everyone's sake.
    I would like for nothing more than to make up with them, but he won't let it go.... have tried apologizing several times so the only way for a quiet life is to ignore each other....

Will just have you ride the storm until he find something else to take up his time....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

OP, buy some young chickens and ducks, they're 10 a penny, and leave them in your garden (as it is your God-given right to do so) when these cats attack them (have video proof by leaving a camcorder on your window sill), go into your neighbour and bring him to court.

Easily the most prickish thing I've read in this thread.

People need to learn to live with other creatures, we don't exist in vacuum sealed pods, yet.

I'm convinced that the lives of some people are so boring that they have to invent drama of their own. 'Sweet Jesus! There's a cat walking on the wall!'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭iba

Cats are clean animals and do not **** like dogs do....

What an unbelieavable statement, no wonder your neighbour has lost patience and has to resort to chicken wire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

iba wrote: »
    What an unbelieavable statement, no wonder your neighbour has lost patience and has to resort to chicken wire

Cats bury their dirt, dogs don't hence their cleaniness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

gurramok wrote: »

Not always, they do if there is soft soil or sand around but if there is not like in alot of gardens they dont bury it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Responsible cat owners provide litter trays.
    Cats **** and piss in a litter tray then they walk all around your house and up on your furniture. Mmmmm that's clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

If it were me I'd go down to smyths and buy some of those cuddly life like cat teddies and wait until he's gone out or asleep and place them on the fence. Either that or wait until the early hours of the morning and clip the wire off.

If it were me I'd go down to smyths and buy some of those cuddly life like cat teddies and wait until he's gone out or asleep and place them on the fence. Either that or wait until the early hours of the morning and clip the wire off.
    That'd be only adding fuel to the fire, but I like your sense of humor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have two dogs and there is one specific cat that loves to torment them (and my neighbours dogs) by walking up and down the back walls (and purching on my shed). .

I dont consider this any less considerate to people who let their dogs roam around the street unattended. You cannot take care of a pet when you dont know where it is and that means you are relying on somebody else to take that responsibility (fouling up public areas, not scratching/biting children etc) . .

Just because its common practise to let cats roam wherever they like doesnt make it anybody elses responsibility to like or accept it. I dont condone any sort of actions that could potentially harm an animal, but I can understand exactly how annoying it can be when petowners dont take responsibility for their pets and expect everybody else to like it or lump it. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Horrible animals, why would you have a cat in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Aye they like to bury it in flower and vegetable gardens digging up valuable bulbs and seeds in the process. Also It's not very nice to go out and pick some spuds to put your hand in cat sh*t especially if you don't own a cat yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Aye they like to bury it in flower and vegetable gardens digging up valuable bulbs and seeds in the process. Also It's not very nice to go out and pick some spuds to put your hand in cat sh*t especially if you don't own a cat yourself.

You know they sell spuds in shops now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

You know they sell spuds in shops now too?
    So I should stop growing my own because my neighbour has cats?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

So I should stop growing my own because my neighbour has cats?

I just don't understand why anyone would grow their own spuds anyway? :L

Advertisement